Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by huauqui View Post
    ThreeD and I used our HHSS last weekend with just the undercover and pad, no space blanket. Got down to about 48 it was perfect.

I slept with a t shirt, and jeans on put my hoodie under my knees and woke up about 3 AM cause I had to use the facilities when I crawled back in I pulled the sleeping bag, that had been over my legs and part of my large stomach, up over my chest as well. Woke with the sun warm and toasty. Couldn't have been more comfortable even with the five to ten mile an hour shifting breeze. We didn't deploy the tarps so we could stare at the stars.

It was a perfect night. I was going to look for condensation but about the time we finished breakfast a shower rolled in and we had to break camp with a mist falling so can't say if there had been any condensation though without the space blanket I have never had any condensation so would assume that was the case this time as well.

huauqui
    I have been participating in discussions here about the HHSS since the time when I was almost the only HHSS user here in Jan 07. While there have been several people that it did not work for AT ALL, I really have the feeling that, as the years have gone by, there are now far more folks that it has worked either great for, or at least pretty good for the cost. I think far more positive results than negative, but that is just my feeling. Maybe time for another "poll"?

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird 1.6 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* UQ, 30* TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I tried the HH radiant bubble pad underneath between the hammock and the open cell foam pad inside the HHSS. My hammock is hanging in my basement and it was so warm that I had to bail out within a couple minutes. The radiant pad seems to be the same size and shape as the OCF and I hooked the glove hooks to the OCF. I have a space blanket but have not tried it yet.
    Last edited by jimmay; 08-30-2012 at 08:44.
    Jim

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, Owl, at that windy 22F, were you using just what I call the basic system- one space blanket, one HH pad and the UC, or did you have something else- like unworn insulation stuffer under the pad? And what about you: have you had much condensation?
    To be honest I'm trying to remember if I had put my extra fleece blanket down into the HHSS or if I slept with it on top with me. I was also under my HH Hex tarp with the sides pitched pretty low and tight to the ground, but no doors nor did I use the overcover at the time (still have yet to put it on, in fact).

I do recall that I was wearing a single set of winter baselayer clothing, some good thick (and dry) wool socks, and my wool buff.

I've never had much condensation issues...although I don't typically use the space blanket in my setup until it gets below about 45*F.

There have been a few times when I've noticed a small amount of condensation either sitting on top of the pad or underneath it when I've gone to break down in the morning, but never any appreciable amounts.

I used a space blanked I bought from REI in my HH expedition recently. The temps were in the mid 40s in the smokies and in the middle of the night I had to pull the space blanked out as my bag was getting too damp! I was warm enough without it (had a blue walmart pad under me too) and my bag dried by the morning.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Previous poster's experience is common. Before it gets stuffy, it does seem warm, because the air is moist, and evaporative cooling of the bottom layer has stopped taking place.

Then the air cools, water vapor condenses, and DWR becomes certainly not Dry-Water-Repellent. It becomes durably water-retentive or definitely wind resistant.

Reflective defies known physical laws. A shiny sheet instead of a shiny bauble, but leaving you steaming in a partial bubble.

From the point of view of a successful HHSS user, the contensation in edecambra's scenario was likely caused by an inappropriate combination of layers. The space blanket works when it is relatively close to your body heat, and is kept warm by insulation below the space blanket. The goal is to use a vapour barrier to prevent the water vapour coming in contact with outer, colder insulation layers.

The open cell foam pad goes below the space blanket as standard, and if you want to add extra insulation then it needs to go in the same place.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdickenson View Post
    From the point of view of a successful HHSS user, the contensation in edecambra's scenario was likely caused by an inappropriate combination of layers. The space blanket works when it is relatively close to your body heat, and is kept warm by insulation below the space blanket. The goal is to use a vapour barrier to prevent the water vapour coming in contact with outer, colder insulation layers.

The open cell foam pad goes below the space blanket as standard, and if you want to add extra insulation then it needs to go in the same place.
    You are right in implicitly qualifying what I posted just before this. Condensation need not happen. But, then, what I have often seen by other responsible and experienced parties about vapor barriers applies: You need to know what you are doing and that it is for you. (I thought there was a long Sticky on such in HF somewhere, but I am not finding it.)

I'll stand by what I wrote about the attraction of shiny silvery layers, whether the attractiveness is to civilians or to technical consultants to medical and nursing staffs at hospitals who buy them instead of something less expensive.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    You are right in implicitly qualifying what I posted just before this. Condensation need not happen. But, then, what I have often seen by other responsible and experienced parties about vapor barriers applies: You need to know what you are doing and that it is for you. (I thought there was a long Sticky on such in HF somewhere, but I am not finding it.)

I'll stand by what I wrote about the attraction of shiny silvery layers, whether the attractiveness is to civilians or to technical consultants to medical and nursing staffs at hospitals who buy them instead of something less expensive.
    So your thought is that it wouldn't have mattered if it were a space blanket or a trash bag?

Or are you implying that it's a MENTAL thing...and it mattered because someone thought it should matter, rather than it made a physical difference?

I'll grant...I've personally not tried substituting a trash bag in the space blanket's place on a freezing night...not sure that I personally would like to test that theory out myself.

If you opt to test that...I'd love to hear the results. Nothing like empirical evidence to make a point.

Hammock
    Danger bird
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    Incubator /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    I was just at sports chalet yesterday and they had an awesome new one shaped like a bivi bag and it claimed to be a bit breathable too I believe. It was like a mummy bag.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    I thought there was a long Sticky on [vapour barriers] in HF somewhere, but I am not finding it.
    Its here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26191

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast