Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Those would work great for the guys hanging gear off the ridgeline of the hammock.

Keep your head down and be safe over there

Images
    i found a neat carabiner at wally world ..it has a small roll of duck tape on it..the top looks like a normal ..butthe bottom is wide like 2 inches it looks sort of like a fat D ..i use it with a lenght of cord in my HH... I loop it over the ridge line and leave enough slack for it to hang just below the hammock thru the entry slit...to this i hook my boots at night..so they hang tight under my hammock up and away from crawly things in the night..that way if i need to get out i na hurry i can grab my boots on the way by..plua if i starts raining my boot are well up into the dry zone... safe journeys

Images
    Blackie

I just bought three of them from Walmart clearance isle the other day, they look pretty handy.

I'm a noob on this site and pretty new to hammocking (couple of nights in the back yard last winter and a section AT hike this fall). Anyway, what do you use the biners for, other than hanging stuff from the ridgeline? Does anyone use them for attaching the hammock to straps around a tree? I've been experimenting with that at home, and the idea seems cool but I don't really see an advantage that would justify the weight of the biners.

Stickman

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I'm a noob on this site and pretty new to hammocking (couple of nights in the back yard last winter and a section AT hike this fall). Anyway, what do you use the biners for, other than hanging stuff from the ridgeline? Does anyone use them for attaching the hammock to straps around a tree? I've been experimenting with that at home, and the idea seems cool but I don't really see an advantage that would justify the weight of the biners.

Stickman
    welcome to the site stickman... the biner from niteizes at the beginning of this thread isn't strong enough to hang the hammock with, but but some of those talked about later would be.
    if you go back to the home page & find the thread titled "ring support system" (or something like that) & read through some of those posts, you'll see people discussing some of the pros & cons.
    a couple of the pros i can think of right off are that if you have a biner on the loop at the end of your support webbing, you simply clip it back to the webbing after going around the tree instead of threading (& un-threading) the webbing through the loop each time.
    also the biner is probably a little easier on the webbing loop than the webbing it's self.
    plus, if you have a biner clipped on the end of your support webbing, & the tree is to big to reach around, you can sling the biner around the tree & catch it when it comes around... but only if you have nun chuck training
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ... but only if you have nun chuck training
    Hey - leave Chuck out of this. He's not a nun, anyway.

Welcome to the site, Stickman. I just had dinner in old town Arlington two nights ago! Back in NC now, though.

Whether or not the weight of biners is justified is completely up to you. I didn't carry them for a long time b/c I was trying to get my packweight down. Now it's down low enough that I'm adding in a few luxuries to make camp life easier. A pair of .8 oz biners is one of them...see the ring buckles thread for details of that. At this point, I'll carry them b/c I like the convenience of one wrap around the tree and a quick setup. Next week? Who knows...they may drop out of my pack if I find something better.

But like Tim says, those little ones won't hold up a hammock. Be sure to use climbing-rated biners if you're putting them on the supports.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    welcome to the site stickman... the biner from niteizes at the beginning of this thread isn't strong enough to hang the hammock with, but but some of those talked about later would be.
    if you go back to the home page & find the thread titled "ring support system" (or something like that) & read through some of those posts, you'll see people discussing some of the pros & cons.
    a couple of the pros i can think of right off are that if you have a biner on the loop at the end of your support webbing, you simply clip it back to the webbing after going around the tree instead of threading (& un-threading) the webbing through the loop each time.
    also the biner is probably a little easier on the webbing loop than the webbing it's self.
    plus, if you have a biner clipped on the end of your support webbing, & the tree is to big to reach around, you can sling the biner around the tree & catch it when it comes around... but only if you have nun chuck training

My last hangin trip I was literally hugging a tree trying to throw my spectra around the tree. Took me several minutes. I've been home testing the ring buckle support system with great success. Will test in the woods this weekend. Be careful not to knock yourself out with the biner when you swing it around the tree.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    ... Be careful not to knock yourself out with the biner when you swing it around the tree.
    now that would be another embarrassing story to tell
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    now that would be another embarrassing story to tell
    Kinda like some people's Sprite issues?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

Stickman
    Welcome to the site. The only biners I carry right now are to hang my underquilt. I am thinking about adding them to my tie out to simplify it. I use the same ring system Jeff is talking about. It is not needed, and would only save a few seconds.

I think Jeff said it best, this is what I am doing today who knows what tomorrow will bring. After my hike I should add something in the humor section about what I started with and what I ended up with after 6 months of hiking. Should make for a funny read.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast