DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Interesting carabiner

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by TeeDee; 08-07-2007 at 10:53.

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Very interesting. I may just have to pick a few up. I hope they make a few different sizes as these seem a bit large for the ridgeline.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Images
    another one..this one is LOADBEARING...

http://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/b...iscrewlock.htm

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    I'm not sure that hammockers wouldnt be better of using quickdraws, these are often on offer and would more than do the job as part of the rigging or just a handy dual use doodad.

Heres a nice set, low weight, reasonable size, decent price and webbing friendly. http://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/b...carabiners.htm

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    I'm not sure that hammockers wouldnt be better of using quickdraws, these are often on offer and would more than do the job as part of the rigging or just a handy dual use doodad.

Heres a nice set, low weight, reasonable size, decent price and webbing friendly. http://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/b...carabiners.htm
    What advantages do you think a gadget like that would offer? I'm just curious...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    well as it says on the box 'worlds smallest and lightest full strength climbing carabiner'. Its going to be strong enough to use when rigging a hammock, it looks like its got room for webbing to sit relatively flat.

Quickdraws are just two climbing rated biners connected together by climbing tape. when you climb you clip one to some protection in the rock and then clip your rope through the other and continue climbing. they are designed to take the impact of a fall on them.

As i understand it from my climbing days, you want a locking biner when theres a chance something might pop the gate open, not really such a concern for us unless totally paranoid about your setup.

I have set up some slacklines (basically a semi loose tightwire) with climbing webbing and biners (from a retired set of quickdraws). Ideally i'd use a pure oval shaped set if i had them to keep everything in line but the ones I linked to looked like I would be happy to use them for that situation, thus i'd be more than happy to use them hammocking.

Quite often you get quickdraws at a decent price, you are getting two biners and a bit of tape you can throw or consider using in your setup. The tape I have from my quickdraws is rated to 22kN
    Last edited by Drop; 02-12-2007 at 15:51. Reason: definition of quickdrawer

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    well as it says on the box 'worlds smallest and lightest full strength climbing carabiner'. Its going to be strong enough to use when rigging a hammock, it looks like its got room for webbing to sit relatively flat.

Quickdraws are just two climbing rated biners connected together by climbing tape. when you climb you clip one to some protection in the rock and then clip your rope through the other and continue climbing. they are designed to take the impact of a fall on them.

As i understand it from my climbing days, you want a locking biner when theres a chance something might pop the gate open, not really such a concern for us unless totally paranoid about your setup.

I have set up some slacklines (basically a semi loose tightwire) with climbing webbing and biners (from a retired set of quickdraws). Ideally i'd use a pure oval shaped set if i had them to keep everything in line but the ones I linked to looked like I would be happy to use them for that situation, thus i'd be more than happy to use them hammocking.

Quite often you get quickdraws at a decent price, you are getting two biners and a bit of tape you can throw or consider using in your setup. The tape I have from my quickdraws is rated to 22kN
    I used lots of these when I still climbed, and they're definitely handy. I think the 'biners are actually the ones Jeff is using - he linked to those somewhere. I was just wondering if you'd found a cool way to use the webbing link in your suspension somewhere - I'm always looking for quicker setup options
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I was at REI yesterday and saw these three. They seemed about the same size and weight. So I checked the stats online. The lightest one is the cheapest, interestingly enough. I think I know which one I will try.

Black Diamond

Camp

Omega Pacific

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I used lots of these when I still climbed, and they're definitely handy. I think the 'biners are actually the ones Jeff is using - he linked to those somewhere. I was just wondering if you'd found a cool way to use the webbing link in your suspension somewhere - I'm always looking for quicker setup options
    No real use for it yet... but one day
    Because I'm still slumming it with the Byer and a length of spectra the only use i'm getting for biners at the moment is for hanging the hammock from the ridge line.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock
    Has anyone tried the Grimloc Carabiner?
    It works great with lighter loads (~80 lbs is what I'm told they would hold), you obviously couldn't have it holding your hammock, but I use about 50 of them to hold various items together. (Not affiliated with the above linked company, just the first link I clicked on Google)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast