Thread: Tyvek Tarp

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Old Tent Fly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag

Question Tyvek Tarp

I was thinking about using Tyvek for a tarp. It is cheap, strong, reasonably light, and water resistant enough to get me out of the rain. The most common is silnylon, i'm just looking for alternatives. Tyvek seems to be alot easier to work with. Has anyone use synthetic roof underlayment for tarps.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    A lot of people have done this, and a search will turn up plenty of threads. For starters, click on the Hammock Articles in the header, and check out the Tyvek articles there.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    i use tyvek to make prototypes of things i might want to buy. i use it to see if i like it, but never use it to test durability of tyvek. made things like tarps, chaps, gaiters, wallet, stuff sacks, stake bag, mist mittens, ridge-line organizer, kites and even a hot air balloon. i even used it to wrap a house
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    Getting ready to scrounge some scraps from a new neighborhood down the street from my house. A 9x9 tarp and to prototype a rolltop pack have been on my DIY drawing board for a while.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    I've used a tyvek tarp for the last year, and I love it--for me it was an upgrade from the heavy poly tarp from Harbor Freight that I was using. It is heavier than sil, your color choices are somewhat limited (white or white), and it won't pack nearly as well, but it was still better than what I had. So, for me, it works quite well.

I made another for my boys over the summer--you can get some of the details for that tarp from this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55347

Hope this helps
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Lovin my Tyvek tarp, it is the go-to for the summer, mainly cause I made it. Being idiot proof (for me a HUGE benefit) kinda makes it even better!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    Lovin my Tyvek tarp, it is the go-to for the summer, mainly cause I made it. Being idiot proof (for me a HUGE benefit) kinda makes it even better!
    How did you make it, Aardvark?

Mike

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    How did you make it, Aardvark?

Mike
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=37680
    This is the thread it is documented.... had a square, cut opposite corners to get a hex, then taped on some d-rings with tyvek tape. Lot of stuff in the thread, but might spark your thinking.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK

video on painting Tyvek Tarp

Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    I've used a tyvek tarp for the last year, and I love it--for me it was an upgrade from the heavy poly tarp from Harbor Freight that I was using. It is heavier than sil, your color choices are somewhat limited (white or white).
    Hope this helps
    I did some research on Tyvek, it hold acrylic paint very well. I was going to dye the DYI Monsoon Knockoff I am making. I kind of like the goofy idea of my winter tarp saying TYVEK, but I wanted something a little nicer, not advetising for a company. I am going to paint. Someone on this site did a nice video, on painting his tarp with spray paint, Rustoleum, flat I think, he did a camo pattern, three colors, he showed how they repelled the water, how long it took for the paint to dry and what he would do different next time That video would help you, I am sure.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    I did some research on Tyvek, it hold acrylic paint very well. I was going to dye the DYI Monsoon Knockoff I am making. I kind of like the goofy idea of my winter tarp saying TYVEK, but I wanted something a little nicer, not advetising for a company. I am going to paint. Someone on this site did a nice video, on painting his tarp with spray paint, Rustoleum, flat I think, he did a camo pattern, three colors, he showed how they repelled the water, how long it took for the paint to dry and what he would do different next time That video would help you, I am sure.
    That's encouraging. When I put the tyvek in the washer to soften it up and saw that even the lettering was starting to rub off, I figured that nothing would be able to stay on the stuff. Let me know how how the project goes--getting tired of the white.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast