Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Another Ring Buckle set up

Inspired by JustJeff's no modification ring buckle set up utilizing a Garda hitch.
    For each end of the hammock used couple rings and some Spyderline lengths I had in my "junk" box. No need for the line if you just sew the rings directly onto the tree huggers and do the Speers tree hugger wrap/hitch. The Garda hitch allows quick and easy tensioning and centering of your hammock. Tested the set up this weekend. No slip holding my weight (I'm a lightweight). Weight for the four rings is ~46 grams.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like a great setup...I really like how adjustable and low-bulk the garda hitch and rings are.

What kind of rings are those? And what's the purpose of the tri-glide?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Rings are SlingRings.com. Inexpensive compared with SMC. $3.30 for a set of 2. Shipping started at $0.99 for a set & $1.99 up to 5 sets. Multiple
    color choices.

Tri-glides used to create a temporary loop. Tri-glide not necessary. Spyderline loop also not necessary. Just need to sew a permanent loop for the rings to attach to the tree huggers.

I like the simple & functional 4 rings & Garda hitch system. It's a relatively small weight gain, seems to work, protects the tree huggers from rope burning/wearing that may happen if you rapidly pull the suspension rope through the strap loops. If a ring breaks your just back to the original HH figure 8 rigging. As set up in the photo they also double as my bear bell.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Garda Hitch

I'm a fan of the Garda hitch myself, but have some doubts about whether it is wise to use on certain types of rope. I used it for several outings on some Vectran 12 (single braid dyneema, around 2.5mm). In time it seemed to me that the rope was being damaged right where it is squeezed.

On my last trip out I had two rings at the apex of the suspension triangles on my DIY bridge, ran 3.8mm Spyderline suspension cord from the tree (hung from Marlinspike hitch toggles) to them and used the Garda hitch. I'm keeping an eye on the rope, but this is so far my favorite set up. A little heavier than minimally needed to suspend the hammock...we always end up paying for our little comforts.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Rings are SlingRings.com. Inexpensive compared with SMC. $3.30 for a set of 2. Shipping started at $0.99 for a set & $1.99 up to 5 sets. Multiple color choices.
    The website for those relates 'tested to 250lbs', which in itself is incredibly uninformative. Have you been using the rings for long? Any issues?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The website for those relates 'tested to 250lbs', which in itself is incredibly uninformative. Have you been using the rings for long? Any issues?
    I have used them several times (I'm 200lbs) without any problems at all. I really can't tell hardly any difference in them & my SMC's. Cavscout has been successful with them as well I believe.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    GrizzlyAdams, thanks for the heads up on the potential rope problem & Garda hitch. Not really sure what type of rope HH uses on their ULBP and what type of rope Brandon uses on the Blackbird. No matter what I will check the rope.

Not sure if the "tested to" is a working load or breaking strength. Only couple nights hanging with this set up. With couple rings at each end I hope the working load is the quoted 250 pounds. If so, the breaking strength should be higher. I'm a lightweight at ~127 lbs. One of the reason I cheeped out on the slingrings. The other is this a trial set up to see if it works & if I like it.

jeffjen, good to hear that the rings can take at least a #200 load and others have some longterm use of the slingrings without failure.
    Noel V.

• + New Posts