Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to ground

Going to ground

I know most people here never go to ground, ever. And that's fine. But is there anyone out there that does from time to time? I've been having a very hard time finding information on the subject.

How do you do it?

Do you carry any extra gear, such as a bivy sack? Do you adapt something you're already using? What do you do about: wet/slushy ground, ticks and biting bugs, strong winds and rain/snow, etc. Tips and guides welcome!

Also, no tree version greatly appreciated. I know that there will always be a tree nearby, but I will probably want to simply camp out in the middle of a giant field or above tree line of these days. I'd like to know how to set things up.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

give an example

Some trips I want the option of sleeping above timberline, then I carry a NeoAir (8.7 oz.). But if the weather is bad I drop down into the trees and sleep in a hammock.

In the desert I intend to sleep on the ground and trees for the hammock are just a bonus. But very few bugs in the desert and no wet slushy ground.

If you are car camping then just carry both kits.

Give an example of the conditions that would force you to the ground.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    clarke Nx 250/ woodsman x ?
    Tarp
    ML Cuban Fiber
    Insulation
    ukhammocks modular
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutch kit
    Yep some times if i`m hunting tooo! late high above the tree line i`ll pitch down for the night in the rocks if you have a hammock with a built in mozzi net it is very simple with some extra cord and poles or rocks to pitch up , i never go with out poles [walking ] even hunting on the approach or decent with the bow as well as safety they are so valuable to hanging or lying , but hammock with a built in mozzi net
    "THE FINAL STEPS WHICH WE MAKE IN LIFE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT MOVE SLOWLY"... r. s. g . 1966

Hammock
    HH exped.Asym/ WBBB / DD-travel
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Suspension
    truckers-hitch
    I've tried a marmot mesh bivy icw my tarp. It has a waterproof floor and no-see-um netting, so better ventilation then a normal bivy..

Of course it is an extra package but weight and volume is minimal. I took it in my kayak, so no problem then...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345834444.018180.jpg

1lb 4oz
    26 in.x38 in.x96 in.

It's okay for an emergency. Not for multiple days.

When weather gets worse it's a bit primitive . (for cooking in the rain)

Other option is the Hennessy with bottom entry mentioned on their site and in other posts.
    Happiness aint at the end of the road, Happiness IS the road !

www.anorak84.wordpress.com

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    I know most people here never go to ground, ever. And that's fine. But is there anyone out there that does from time to time? I've been having a very hard time finding information on the subject.

How do you do it?

Do you carry any extra gear, such as a bivy sack? Do you adapt something you're already using? What do you do about: wet/slushy ground, ticks and biting bugs, strong winds and rain/snow, etc. Tips and guides welcome!

Also, no tree version greatly appreciated. I know that there will always be a tree nearby, but I will probably want to simply camp out in the middle of a giant field or above tree line of these days. I'd like to know how to set things up.
    There are many threads on how to string a hammock up with no trees. Its been a very common subject. Check out the search function and see what you can find. I have learned many ways to hammock without trees readily available through all the various threads here. Tons of info here.

As for ground dwelling, I generaly dont do it anymore. With my aging body, it doesnt do good on the rocky soil of the VA Mountains. If I cant find trees to set up my hammock then I will keep going until I do. If your in an area that doesnt have trees for miles then you problably already have a system setup for coping with the lack of trees which like described above is all over the forums.
    And if finding 2 trees is not available and I dont want to design a treeless suspension system then I just wont camp. Which this has never happened and never will. There really is no excuse for not being able to set up a hammock.
    Id do alittle research, you may find more information that way. Sometimes people are reluctant to re post or re-discuss what was discussed only days/weeks prior.

Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    Give an example of the conditions that would force you to the ground.
    I hope to do a fullish AT hike soon, possibly veering off trail for large sections. I'm no purist, and am easily tempted by alternate routes. I can see these things bringing me down:

* Very tired, no trees in immediate area.
    * Beautiful plain, open grass fields and such. That just sounds irresistible to me.
    * Hammock splits down the middle due to me eating with a knife in bed
    * Unexpected temperature drop

Images
    I don't use my hammock when going to ground. I will use the tarp if needed and a mossie head net.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    I hope to do a fullish AT hike soon, possibly veering off trail for large sections. I'm no purist, and am easily tempted by alternate routes. I can see these things bringing me down:

* Very tired, no trees in immediate area.
    * Beautiful plain, open grass fields and such. That just sounds irresistible to me.
    * Hammock splits down the middle due to me eating with a knife in bed
    * Unexpected temperature drop
    We pack to our fears, as the saying goes. I carry an alcohol stove and a Emberlit EL Mini as backup, so I pay a 4.1 oz penalty for my fear of not being able to boil water. Your fear of having to go to ground (or desire for flexibility) is gonna be a much larger weight penalty. It's your back, though.

I certainly would like to know about the places you're gonna hike on the AT with no trees in the immediate area so I can avoid those spots. I'm camping on a beach tonight, and the hammock stays home, as it would above the treeline.

Hammock splits down the middle due to eating in bed? If you're eating in your hammock, then you have a lot more to fear than having to go to ground (i.e., bears). And how is a damaged hammock different from your tent getting damaged? Did you carry an extra tent or a bivy when you were a ground dweller?

How would an unexpected temperature drop send you to ground? Is less insulation required to stay warm on the ground? On the contrary, I would think you would need more insulation to go to ground (you'd need a pad, 'cause UQ wouldn't be of much benefit).

I have my own fears, but going to ground just isn't one of them. I always follow these "go to ground" threads to see if anyone has concrete examples of when they were forced to ground, but have yet to see an example that would legitimately send someone to ground.

If you want the kind of freedom to roam from trees to treeless areas on a whim, then I guess you're stuck with carrying extra things like a bivy and pad. I have a friend who has been hammock camping for over a year and he shares your fear - he carries a bivy with him on every trip. I might also mention that his typical pack weight for an overnight trip is around 50 lbs., and he has plenty of other fears to get that pack weight so high (he actually carries a spare set of pants, which I have never understood).

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I've always carried an air pad as a backup. Like previous poster said, I pay a pretty severe weight penalty for that fear. There are some lighter pads now which are more reasonable to carry. Use the hammock as a bivy, just need a ground sheet, and maybe a pillow.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images

This is a picture of a Switchback 1.9DL in ground mode.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast