HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    With backpacking I get to get away from all the noise of the wife and don't have to worry about the dangers of the two legged wildlife.
    FYP

Just kidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Teegs View Post
    FYP

Just kidden.
    Actually, that is true...

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Car camping is the only way I get to go camping. I can't get anyone I know to go backpacking and I'm too cautious to go alone, so I pretend I'm backpacking by just taking my backpacking gear

It is fun to watch everyone else spend half an hour setting up camp while I sit back in the hammock. And even more fun watching everyone groaning and complaining about cleaning up and packing when the trip is over. I spend more time trying to decide on trees and view than I do setting up and packing up!
    Check out my (mostly) outdoor themed t-shirt design elements! Oblivious Art and Design Make your own custom tees! Hammock inspired designs to come!

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I car camp the same as packpacking with addition of
    Cooler
    Chair
    Firewood
    Axe
    Big Flashlights

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I almost always do both!
    It takes the better part of a day just to get to the mountains. Usually running late and only a few hours until sundown,.....so we car camp the first night.

That means I can bring a chain saw for processing quick firewood.
    The first night is usually steaks on the grill, fried potatoes, cooler for drinks, comfy folding chairs around the fire ring, etc.
    Waking up the next morning to a real breakfast, eggs, bacon, big pot of coffee, is also nice.

Then, it's off to the woods with a backpack for 5 or 6 days.

And on the last day, coming out of the woods, usually tired from hiking up the mountain, we get back to the car for one last night. There's nothing in the cooler, no ice left, ...but we have canned food waiting,.....and a chainsaw for big fire making.

I pack a small duffle bag for the car that has a clean change of clothes allowing transition back to society.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I think that both have their benefits. I always prefer to backpack for many reasons but backpacking is not for everyone and sometimes I can bring different friends and family members on a car camping trip.

To me the biggest difference is the food I can cook car camping, the growlers I can bring in the cooler, the music, and the extra gear.

I don't feel like I pack much more when car camping but I always bring a few chairs, my 2 eno's, a cooler, and my big 6 man tent with an air mattress. The experience is different but at least I am in the woods and can hike during the day. I usually sleep on an air mattress when car camping with my wife as she is not too keen on sleeping by herself and two to a hammock can be fun but there are better ways to sleep.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    I also take my normal gear when car camping plus MAYBE two additional things - folding chair and small cooler for reasons stated earlier. I can wear the backpack, and carry one item in each hand and still make one trip.

I can set up, cook dinner, and be relaxing and be in chill mode within 30 minutes. Others spend an hour setting up a brand new (took out of box - never set up before) 3 room tent. They then cook a full meal in the iron skillet and other pots and pans (now in the dark), then have to clean up, do dishes, etc. Then they wonder why they are so tired. (true story, btw - we won't even talk about breakfast/breakdown - that was another two hours).

To me, backpacking/camping should be a relaxing, enjoyable experience regardless if it's in the middle of nowhere or from a car. If I wanted to work that much, I would have stayed at home. It's also normally much louder/more people when car camping which takes away from the experience IMO.
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 09-20-2012 at 12:14. Reason: complete the thought!
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner & TQ
    Suspension
    All-in-one Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Like the backpacking trips with the minimal gear but sometimes some of our trips just require a little more gear.
    Last spring we did a 2 day/10 miler with just barely comfortable temps and no water sources on the trail. Stashed 5 gallons at the half way point and carried 12 liters on the Sherpa and we used it all.
    Our 1st Annual Sherpa hang last fall was only a couple of miles in to the camp but included D.O.'s and makings for cobblers and charcoal. Plus was used to carry in extra firewood. The Sherpa works great in these situations but probably not in too many areas other than the flatlands.
    Great idea! Probably wouldn't work too well here in Montana but I like the wheels!

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner & TQ
    Suspension
    All-in-one Whoopie
    Images

+1 for Car camping

I like car camping but only because I haven't done much backpacking and always pack too much or forget something important. Car camping takes the worry of forgetting something out of the equation.

I do like to car camp somewhere we can do some day hikes though.

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner & TQ
    Suspension
    All-in-one Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaCeMn View Post
    Car camping is the only way I get to go camping. I can't get anyone I know to go backpacking and I'm too cautious to go alone, so I pretend I'm backpacking by just taking my backpacking gear

It is fun to watch everyone else spend half an hour setting up camp while I sit back in the hammock. And even more fun watching everyone groaning and complaining about cleaning up and packing when the trip is over. I spend more time trying to decide on trees and view than I do setting up and packing up!
    +1 on that!
    I can get to the site late, set up the hammock and still have time to watch the festivities as the others are messing with their tents or backing in their RVs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast