Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Hanging from deck posts

I'll start off by saying that I realize no one can answer this with 100% certainty especially without photos, but I wanted to get your opinions.

During the summer my wife and I spend most of our weekends at her parents’ lake cottage on Coldwater Lake in Michigan. It’s great, lots of fun stuff to do...so why not add hammocking?

We have a large deck off the back supported by 4x4’s from the ground up to the second level – about 10’ tall. I’m guessing there’s about 10 of these, so I thought about hanging under the deck if the distance is right between posts. I’ve seen threads here where people have snapped 4x4’s anchored in the ground with cement. Would this be any different since it’s supported by the ground and deck above? Should I even attempt this? I would hate to ruin the post and replace it.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Your not going to move them one bit as they are anchored at the bottom and tied in at the top. I hang from mine on my porch, and they are tied in at the bottom and top and only 18 inches in the ground with no concrete around them and they don't move one bit. What people have broken off is a unsecured 4 x 4 at the top and the stress causes them to bend at the point they are anchored in the ground and if there is any imperfections in the grain of the wood,,it can snap unless anchored at the top some way. If you feel they are moving,,take the 4 x 4 that you are tied to,,and tie a horizontal rope to the next,,just reenforcing it a dash. In other words,,you would have 2 of them tied together with you anchoring to one, on each end of the hammock and make your roping at the point your going to attach the hammock.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Id say the answer is a firm "that depends". I would saw you are probably fine if the posts are properly secured, you are not excessively loading the hammock, and you are using the right hang angle. You might be surprised at the forces you can generate by applying force to a relatively taught line between two anchor points. Use caution though. A failed normal hang will drop you a few feet. A failed under-deck hang might drop the deck on you.you.

Images
    I thought that's what decks were for

"Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    A failed under-deck hang might drop the deck on you.you.
    That wouldn't be much fun! I'll check out the condition of the posts this weekend and see what they look like and give it a quick test.

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I do a good bit of handyman work and repairs and I see some ungodly original "homer homeowner" carpentry. Don't assume the top posts are properly secured. I think you are taking the prudent path of inspecting them. If they look well secured to the deck platform and they look in good shape, I'd feel OK hanging from them.
    I just picture some decks that are just sitting on concrete anchors or are simply sitting on the deck posts with gravity- yes this happens.
    My kids always groan when I point out worse case scenarios but, hey those worse case scenarios are my job security. :-)

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I

I’ve seen threads here where people have snapped 4x4’s anchored in the ground with cement. Would this be any different since it’s supported by the ground and deck above? Should I even attempt this? I would hate to ruin the post and replace it.<snip>
    Please give the plural instances of 4x4s snapped.

It should be obvious in this example that if an occupied hammock's forces place the braced posts of a deck in peril that the whole deck ought to be immediately condemned as a risk to those who walk on it.

As there's no accounting for stupidity and bad construction, I'd really like to read the threads on those failures.

ADDED: Take care of splinters and that the sharp edges of the posts don't place a cutting edge against the straps.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-24-2012 at 15:12. Reason: eased edges

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have my 4' x 4'x with a 2 x 6 running on one side of all of them with 3 - 16 penny nails in each and a 2 x 6 in the side of each with 3 nails,,top and bottom..they aren't going to move! Heck,,I have walked on the roof of the porch getting to the roof of the house. and its a metal roof on top so it doesn't take alot to make your 4 x 4's imoveable or rigid..hang on!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    eno dblnest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/usmss
    Suspension
    tree staps/whoopie
    i hang from the deck in back of my house all the time. as long as it is built properly and maintained you should be fine. but the first few times i would be listening for any wood creaking or sqweeking. if all is silent you should be fine. beware using rope to hang though as it can easily start cutting into the wood.

• + New Posts