View Poll Results: Do you like an HHSS, or is it just so/so, or does it stink?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have tried the HHSS but was not warm even at 40- 50F, it is not a good system.

5 6.67%
  • I tried it and had to much condensation, so it is not for me.

5 6.67%
  • I tried it and have not had any significant condensation problems.

18 24.00%
  • Condensation was manageable, and I was warm down to 40F with the basic system.

17 22.67%
  • I was warm to 30F with basic system and condensation was acceptable

15 20.00%
  • I was warm to about 20F (basic system) and condensation was acceptable

11 14.67%
  • I have been warm below 20F with the basic system

6 8.00%
  • I have been warm well below 20F by adding unworn clothing or other insulation in the undercover

7 9.33%
  • The UC provides significant extra wind/rain/snow/fog protection, which is a big plus!

25 33.33%
  • I find it to be more than adequate for the money and weight/volume. I like it!

38 50.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Images
    Reposting from a current HHSS thread
    Poll summary after nearly 1 year:

I had sort of forgot about this poll, but want to review results now that almost a year has gone by. It occurs to me that having a multiple choice poll maybe complicates matters, because you have to go and break it down for people who vote in more than one category.

But I see 48 people have voted in about 1 year. And I am surprised by the way the votes go, both pro and con.

I see that 5(10%) folks did not like it at all and were not warm even at 40-50 and say it is not a good system. 5 also voted it was no go due to condensation problems, but 3 of those 5 were in the previous group that said it is not a good system, so how due I count that? So either 10 folks (20%) say the system is a no go period, or if I adjust for the 3 that voted no go in both categories, then 7 out of 48(14.5%) say it is a no go for whatever reason, either not warm, or too much condensation or both. Frankly, that is a surprise, I would have thought more like 25 or even more % who simply had no use for it at all.

Another surprise to me is how many folks were able to take the basic system to lower temps than me. Considering that the system only weighs about 20 oz ( depending on size), is full length, and includes an UQP( the UC), plus fairly low cost and packs down smaller than some alternatives, I always felt if I got a solid 40F out of this system I really could not complain. Particularly as I felt I could get away with a smaller tarp than with some other systems. And I mostly felt I was OK to about 30F, even with a lot of wind, so I was good.

But if I combine ( trying to account for those repeats in say 40 and 30 etc) the folks who say they are good to 40F(11) with 30(8) with 20F(7) and even amazingly below 20F(4), that is 30( 62%!) who are fine at or well below 40 with little condensation. In fact, 40% are good to 30 or below! I think that is most impressive.

Other surprises: though 62% were at least OK to 40 or well below, only 40% said:"I find it to be more than adequate for the money and weight/volume. I like it!"! Again, seems to me that if you get to 40 or below with a 20 oz highly wind and water resistant system you might think it is more than adequate for the money/weight/volume, but maybe that's just me.

Another big surprise? That only 27% said: "The UC provides significant extra wind/rain/snow/fog protection, which is a big plus!" To me, that wind and sideways rain/snow protection is the biggest selling point of this system. I guess it's that way for me because during the 1st week I used this system ( also 1st time in any hammock) I escaped what every one thought was going to be a freeze your butt off night for me, with the wind howling in off the lake just a few feet away. Blowing hard right in the foot end of that small, diamond, flapping(deafening) tarp. The wind was literally bouncing me around. Once I got past the noise and fell asleep, I had one of the most comfortable, and totally warm, sleeps of my life. It probably was not all that cold, maybe only about 40F, I don't know. 22F was the low for that week. But I think even with my much warmer UQs the wind would have made me cold that night. Wind can easily knock 20F or a lot more off of a quilt's rating. With the only 2 trees available to me that night, there was no way to protect my backside from the wind with that little HH tarp.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Well said, being that I picked up mine during the Oct sale I find it to be an exceptional value, I plan on having a 2QZQ or similar UC for next winter, maybe then I will actually attempt a winter hang on the AT.

It seems that a UC with/out the slit and one that hangs a looser beneath the hammock would provide more warmth that the HH version. Now to decide between sil or ripstop, my inclination is sil.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Well said, being that I picked up mine during the Oct sale I find it to be an exceptional value, I plan on having a 2QZQ or similar UC for next winter, maybe then I will actually attempt a winter hang on the AT.

It seems that a UC with/out the slit and one that hangs a looser beneath the hammock would provide more warmth that the HH version. Now to decide between sil or ripstop, my inclination is sil.
    Are you planning to use an UQ inside the 2Q UQP rather than the HHSS pad? Because the elastics built into the UC help to support the pad with just the right amount of tension. I'm not sure the elastic loops/bridles on the ends of the pads would support the pad as well. But it might.

By placing one fleece jacket(zipped closed for double layer) and one down vest under the HH pad + HH Kidney/torso pad ( stuff I would have with me anyway on a winter trip), I was toasty on a 14F night, with no tarp in a 6F windchill. That is my personal record with the HHSS. I'm sure I could have gone even colder, but that is as cold as it got.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'm not sure the elastic loops/bridles on the ends of the pads would support the pad as well. But it might.
    Donna here...we haven't seen first hand...but we have been told that the UQP does hold a pad successfully. There is a group of scout leaders in a troop that use the UQP this way.

Edit...I just read what you wrote again BB58...I'm guessing you were talking about our UQP holding a pad?? It is worded differently than I read it the first time...late...tired eyes!
    Last edited by 2Questions; 07-02-2013 at 21:58.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Images

HH Super Shelter

Good to know!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Good to know!
    Please see my edit on post 44.
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Billy, what is the HH kidney pad? I plan on using both with the UC, and am considering an OC as well. I will review the attachment method and hardware prior to making a purchase. I have considered removing the shock cord and simply sewing the slit.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming winter to experiment.

Are you planning to use an UQ inside the 2Q UQP rather than the HHSS pad? Because the elastics built into the UC help to support the pad with just the right amount of tension. I'm not sure the elastic loops/bridles on the ends of the pads would support the pad as well. But it might.

By placing one fleece jacket(zipped closed for double layer) and one down vest under the HH pad + HH Kidney/torso pad ( stuff I would have with me anyway on a winter trip), I was toasty on a 14F night, with no tarp in a 6F windchill. That is my personal record with the HHSS. I'm sure I could have gone even colder, but that is as cold as it got.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Billy, what is the HH kidney pad? I plan on using both with the UC, and am considering an OC as well. I will review the attachment method and hardware prior to making a purchase. I have considered removing the shock cord and simply sewing the slit.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming winter to experiment.
    It is one pad large enough to cover butt to shoulders, and another big enough to cover butt/kidney/lower back area. Goes on top of the original pad, weighs just a few oz and doubles or maybe triples thickness right where it is most needed. Adds a lot of warmth. Don't know if they still sell them, I don't think they were ever advertised, you just had to know to ask for them.

I believe RamblinRev also uses them, but very few folks have purchased them.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks, hadn't beard of that one!

It is one pad large enough to cover butt to shoulders, and another big enough to cover butt/kidney/lower back area. Goes on top of the original pad, weighs just a few oz and doubles or maybe triples thickness right where it is most needed. Adds a lot of warmth. Don't know if they still sell them, I don't think they were ever advertised, you just had to know to ask for them.

I believe RamblinRev also uses them, but very few folks have purchased them.

thank you for the thread. I'm going to give the supershelter a second look.
    I just bought a asym zip.. to make a long story short, I'm not looking for 4 seasons just
    a little extra warmth in spring/fall..

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast