Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    BigWheel Custom UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/Biner/rings

Adjustable warmth IX underquilt for two-up sleeping.

So, the gf and I are getting into hammock camping as I really can't stand tent camping (weight, setup time, my back) and we're trying to stay two-up as we're snuggle-whores. The rig we settled on is a Deep Jungle XL but the issue is sleeping temperature. We have a pair of Sea to Summit bag liners in two different temp ratings sewn together, and want to do something similar in a DIY IX underquilt, based on a home made one that BigWheel made with his awesome thread injector.

The premise is this: In a normal UQ setup, it gets attached to the suspension just beyond the hammock and left off to one side until needed (at around one in the morning) at which point you reach underneath, grab an edge and pull it across. The shock cords provide tension holding it close at the sides, but have the stretch to allow the UQ to be moved while the hammock is occupied.
    So I thought, why not make the UQ half again as wide and provide two different temp zones. The first third would be un-insulated or very lightly anyway, and the remainder would be fairly evenly insulated or even warm and warmer in lengthwise halves. (Cool| Warm|Warmer) This way, since I like to sleep warmer, we could pull it across and she'd still be cool, and if it got colder yet, pull again and we're both warmer still.

This is my initial design. An underquilt with four lengths of shock cord dividing it into three panels. The two central cords would be somewhat looser and would be internal to the UQ until a foot or so from the head. At that point it exits via a grommet and continues by way of an attached key ring. At the head of the UQ, where the four shock cords meet the transverse one the central two have exposed hooks where these key rings can be attached/detached to change tension and create a hammock hugging edge.

This way I can preset for her half to be cool and mine to be warmer, which would when pulled across, still leave a folded panel outboard of my side. By reaching underneath and hooking up the ring in the middle, then pulling more across and detaching the new ring that has moved to the middle, there is a folded panel on the entrance side.

Thoughts are welcome.

In the first picture, that's a view of the underside to show the shock cord / ring detail.
    Last edited by Hanging Around; 07-03-2014 at 19:32. Reason: typos

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Looks extremely complicated on paper, and probably more so in real life. You're going to sleep together in an HH Deep Jungle XL? That's got a 300 lb. weight limit. Have you ever slept together in a hammock?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    BigWheel Custom UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/Biner/rings
    Just the once so far. We're both fairly trim people so we're forty pounds shy of the limit. It does mean that dynamic load testing will be less energetic for sure.

It was too hot to start with but eventually we cooled off. The issure was that we didn't want the sleeping pad in between the hammock layers because she didn't want any additional warmth, but my butt and shoulders eventually got too cold. With that being a sign of a long term problem, the pad will go back to REI and the underquilt solution will be sought.

The way I see it I'm only adding two shock lines to one of the IX patterns from HF.net and a way to add tension to whichever one I want. I think this should be fairly simple.

Hammock
    HHULB Zipper Mod
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11
    Insulation
    JRB nest
    Suspension
    whoopies
    This whole 2 people in 1 hammock is riddiculously complicated, but so was the light bulb. ...
    so hats off to you for not scaring away so easy.
    and kudos to your womans patience while you experiment.
    guess we need to whoop up one of these to see if they can be tweeked to work.
    my first concern is are you sleeping on the diagonal or more side by side with the shoulder squeeze isue?
    guessing head to foot isn't an option (cause after hiking who wants to go there)
    then idea might need to be diagonal as well.
    second - IX might not be the best here. But maybe just a varying thickness of down or synthetic ?
    anyone out there find better ways of varying your temp rating other than venting the ends?
    this sounds like we are in total brainstorming mode- all ideas welcome !
    "life is a gateway drug" -Jonathan Wyman

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    BigWheel Custom UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/Biner/rings
    Hey BW!! I hadn't meant to specify IX, I just remember you saying that I should check there for plans.

We are sleeping diagonal. Looking at the zippered side, the left is the head and the zippered side is her side. It is wide enough that there isn't a lot of shoulder/hip squeeze. Varrying layers of synthetic would probably be best as there's no way I'll be able to keep it 100% dry, and that's before you condsider condensation. That said, I suppose we could run the insulation diagonally and still run the shock cord longitudinally.

I greatly appreciate your assistance so far and look forward to dueling thread injectors when she gets her setup going. And to you getting your tiny hammock hung off the ridgeline for the newborn.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanging Around View Post
    ...dynamic load testing...
    Nice!!! .

• + New Posts