Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas

Hi, I Am a Gear Geek and Need Some Recommendations!

Hello,

I am new to HF and very excited to see all the photos, gear descriptions, modifications, and DIY projects!

I used to backpack a lot in college and have taken a few years off while having kids. I always used tents except for one bad experience with a jungle hammock in a really bad thunderstorm (this was due to my lack of preparation for a storm). Very wet, cold night that was!

I am now getting back into backpacking and want to try hammock camping again. I just read "The Ultimate Hang" book by Derek Hanson and am very excited to get started! I thought I would buy an ENO setup because they are prominently featured in my local stores and ENO is based in NC where I live. However, after doing a little research, I see that there are lots of hammock makers out there, and being the technical gear head that I am, I want to make a mindful choice.

I am starting a wish list of hammock camping gear and wondered if any of the experienced hangers here might propose a list of ultimate gear for me . By this, I mean quality gear that has been tested and proven to perform well.

My main camping location will be NC with one other adult and possibly two small boys (I am starting them out in a family tent but they will be going back-woods with me as soon as they are able to).

Thanks for reading my post! I am off to look at more gear...

David
    Morrisville, North Carolina

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Go to the hammock gear forum section, scroll down through the vendors....pick one. Whichever one you pick will be quality gear that has been tested. Asking that general of a question is not gonna help you because everyone is just gonna tell you their favorite which means your gonna get a lot of different answers that will include pretty much every vendor on here.

A better way for us to help you is tell us what you're looking for, what matters to you in a hammock.

Cost, weight, comfort, do you wanna use a pad or an UQ, are you tall or short, would you prefer an integrated bug net or a removable bug net, are you interested in DIY?

Have you looked to see which style appeals to you? (i.e. bridge or gathered end)

Buying your first hammock can be a bit overwhelming with all the different options and you're smart to ask for help, but I recommend doing a lil research and figure out an idea of what you're looking for then ask more specific questions. You'll get much better feedback that way.

I don't know how far you are from Hot Springs but if you can get over there the weekend of the 15th theres a Hang. You'll be able to check out all different types of setups there and most everyone will be more than happy to let you try em out. Nothing beats a test drive.

And now for my personal opinion, don't get the ENO. By the time you buy all the necessary components and change out the suspension(which almost everyone ends up doing) you could have gotten a much better hammock.

The top choices IMO are:

Hennessey, it's a one stop shop because it comes with a tarp.

BIAS, super light, super comfy, cheap and you get different options when you buy it.

Warbonnet, I've never tried this one but it seems to be highly coveted( I have both of the ones above), and it has a storage shelf inside the hammock.
    Last edited by SwinginIt; 08-25-2012 at 09:06.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Welcome!!!

Hmmm,
    Gear geek....you've come to the right place. The mantra here is HYOH (Hang your own hang) but there's a pretty wide spectrum of exactly what that means. I'm sure lots of folks will chime in here but here's my short version.

I don't think there is an "ultimate" list as such. Hammocks unlike mainstream tents have a huge DIY crowd and also a huge cottage industry. It seems every day someone is coming out with the newest and greatest gadget or way to hang.

The best advice I can give is to try and hook up with some other hangers in NC. There are lots and lots of them. This will give you a chance to try out some different rigs and talk to folks about the pluses and minuses before you buy. Being a gear geek you will instantly appreciate the variety of choices and ways to "pimp your ride".

There are choices in the hammock body, do you want a double or single layer and how heavy material? What kind of suspension works best for you (straps, whoopies, descender rings, elephant hooks, etc)? Then how best to keep the bugs away (attached netting or something separate)? How to keep the rain off (big tarp or small; hex, rectangular, diamond)?

Weight will be a consideration since you're hiking. That helps narrow the field just a bit. Also.....size does matter!! In general, the longer the hammock the flatter the lay, especially if you're 6'+. For the kids don't worry about buying a "kid size" hammock. While they're out there you save very little on the cost or weight and they'll outgrow them in no time.

The answer to most any question you will have is here on the forums somewhere already. I see lots and lots and lots of "noob" questions and if the search tool weren't so terrible the information would be pretty easy to find. If you can't tell already, hammockers are into relaxing and as such don't like to type so they abbreviate everything. Within no time though you'll recognize the "lingo", especially since you've already read Derek's book.

If you haven't already done it.....go watch Shug's videos on YouTube. They're a wealth of knowledge for both noobs and veterans. Google search works much better than the forum tool. Here's a quick link. Also, there are lots of "sticky" topics here that warrant a good read. These are topics that are interesting and the threads have pretty much beat the subject to death. They're full of good info though. When in doubt though....don't be afraid to ask

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    *waves from VA* Howdy and welcome. I will 2nd "watch Shug's videos. Great information in excellent presentation in them.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Hey ncpaddle! Welcome to the Forums, but I'm not sure you're the only gear geek on here....it seems to be the status quo!

My recommendation would be for you to attend a Hang if you can. At our recent Black Hills Hang (insert shameless plug here! ) everyone who showed up had a different setup. It was very cool to be able to check out the all the different hammocks and see what other people are doing. If you go to one, you'll find that everyone is more than happy to share their knowledge (and show off their gear! ).
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    Walhalla Maddog 1.2 Robic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Camo
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Welcome to HF from Georgia! Maddog
    "Hike Your Own Hike." - Thru-Hiker

ncpaddle919, welcome to the wonderful world of hammocks. If you get to thinking that some of us are nuts, then you might be right, at least in our love of hammock camping, and of course the associated gear. There is, or seems to be, a special language around here, you will figure it out soon enough. The advise that you have so far been given is solid. There are lots of great products offered here, and each of us has a favorite. While it looks too pricey at first, do check out the offerings from Clark hammocks, many, me too, like them a lot. I wish you well with your new interest, and envy you getting to introduce two boys to a great activity.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Florida.
    There are lots of outings up there in NC. You should definitely attend. It will be like going to a showroom of hammocks and other gear. Plus, you'll meet some of the nicest people ever. And all our affairs are family friendly!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness from down on the coast.

many hangers use ENO's ( I have a DN )

there will be group hangs at Hot Springs NC and Grayson State Park VA in Sept that you can attend. at the hang in Grayson we will be doing a hammock display at the festival that weekend. If you don't have a hammock by then, bring a tent. There will be lots of hangers, lots of different set ups you can check out and ask the users what they like and don't like.

do your homework, ask questions. the only stupid question is the one you do not ask.

there is no one perfect hammock, tarp, UQ, TQ ect. lots of great choices based on your type of hanging...car camping, backbacking, ultra light, carry the kitchen sink ect....
    Last edited by gunner76; 08-25-2012 at 19:32.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Welcome fellow NC hanger.

• + New Posts