Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Question Chiffon instead of noseeum

TeeDee and I are currently adapting a Hammock Bliss noseeum netting for one of the Narrow Bridges he's made. We purchased a Hammock Bliss noseeum netting from GoFastAndLight for $30.87 + S&H. Too good a deal to pass up and we wanted to see if it would fit a Bridge and if not what it took to make it fit.

It won't fit as is, which is pretty much what we expected.

Well we didn't want to spend any more than necessary for the alterations since we didn't know if it would work even then.

So in a visit to the local Hancock Fabrics on a 40% off sale day, we purchased some black chiffon for about $4/yard. Pretty amazing stuff in it's own right. The mesh is easy to see through and a whole lot finer than the noseeum or the nanoseeum.

We've got one end fitted and will do the other end in pretty much the same and it will work well.

My question: has anybody here used Chiffon in place of noseeum before. Either for patching or for a whole netting.

From handling it, it seems about as tough as the noseeum. The mesh is a whole lot finer, i.e., smaller, and so it seems that it should work as a substitute. About the only disadvantage we can think there may be is that the finer mesh may block more air inside the netting.

If it will make a viable substitute, then, it is a a lot easier to get locally, i.e., possible, and if purchased on a 40% day at Hancock or Joanne Fabrics, a whole lot less expensive.

Images
    did you do a tear test to see if it's as strong. noseeum is pretty strong

Hammock
    diy bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    I have no experience with Chiffon however I recently bought 10 yds of dark grey noseeum on ebay for $20. That is pretty cheap.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    wally world often has netting in the $1 bins. I have used it alot. I don't know what it is but it works for me. I wouldn't use it commercially, but for my own stuff it seems fine.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Let us know how it works, I have thought about using chiffon, but as teh nearest hancock (or any fabric store for that matter) is over 20 miles away, I havn't got that far yet. & the stuff my local outfitter carries feels like it weighs over 1 Lb per yd.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    This article speaks of using silk gauze for bugnetting...

http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe...SilkHammock%2F

& from the Dharma Trading site (silk supplier):

"Silk Gauze Fabrics
    Similar to Chiffon but an even lighter weight. An extremely sheer and delicate fiber with a very soft hand and floaty drape. Dyes and paints easily with great color retention. Comes in two weights, 3mm and 4.5mm"

If the gauze is lighter & delicate then why wouldn't the chiffon work just fine?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

I hope it's not "tulle"

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    did you do a tear test to see if it's as strong. noseeum is pretty strong
    Warbonnetguy's advise is sound, if you think you can find the appropriate tearing force that you should apply. I suspect my similar testing was too gentle.

Grizz did a write-up about some tulle fabric (I searched but couldn't find it). He felt like it was an interesting material, but didn't recommend it for bugnets. I agree.

It looks like noseeum but has a scratchier feel to it. The fabric stretches pretty well in one direction, but not along the other axis.

In answer to your question, I will confess, I made a full-enclosure bugnet cover for a bridge hammock using this (tulle). That bugnet is now in the trash. It didn't stretch over my poles smoothly when the hammock was occupied- although the cut should have been adequate. It was more prone to snag- because of it's rougher finished texture. It was quick to tear, much weaker than noseeum when stress was applied.

I am not sure if the Chiffon is similar (or the same as) the tulle, or whether it is closer to nanoseum. However, It is a dissappointment to use unproven materials that cause product failures. The loss in construction time offsets the savings in material costs.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    tulle and chiffon are, to my understanding, two very different products. Tulle is is much stiffer and used to add body and shape. Chiffon is very soft and is used to drape. tulle would not be a good fabric for bugnet and would tend to have very different tensile issues. Chiffon might have the opposite problem of having no body and being saggy and sloppy. This has been my experience with the $1 wally world nettings.

edit: My wife, the fabric expert and costumer, says tulle would rip very easily while chiffon would be stronger but very saggy.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 10-08-2008 at 12:24.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Warbonnetguy's advise is sound, if you think you can find the appropriate tearing force that you should apply. I suspect my similar testing was too gentle.

Grizz did a write-up about some tulle fabric (I searched but couldn't find it). He felt like it was an interesting material, but didn't recommend it for bugnets. I agree.

It looks like noseeum but has a scratchier feel to it. The fabric stretches pretty well in one direction, but not along the other axis.

In answer to your question, I will confess, I made a full-enclosure bugnet cover for a bridge hammock using this (tulle). That bugnet is now in the trash. It didn't stretch over my poles smoothly when the hammock was occupied- although the cut should have been adequate. It was more prone to snag- because of it's rougher finished texture. It was quick to tear, much weaker than noseeum when stress was applied.

I am not sure if the Chiffon is similar (or the same as) the tulle, or whether it is closer to nanoseum. However, It is a dissappointment to use unproven materials that cause product failures. The loss in construction time offsets the savings in material costs.
    As RR writes, tulle and chiffon are very different beasties. I couldn't hand tear the chiffon. Cutting either noseeum or chiffon is about the same. I haven't tried laying on the chiffon like some have done, inadvertently, with the noseeum in Hennessy Hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    This article speaks of using silk gauze for bugnetting...

http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe...SilkHammock%2F

& from the Dharma Trading site (silk supplier):

"Silk Gauze Fabrics
    Similar to Chiffon but an even lighter weight. An extremely sheer and delicate fiber with a very soft hand and floaty drape. Dyes and paints easily with great color retention. Comes in two weights, 3mm and 4.5mm"

If the gauze is lighter & delicate then why wouldn't the chiffon work just fine?
    It would be fun to try, but it does say "delicate".

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    tulle and chiffon are, to my understanding, two very different products. Tulle is is much stiffer and used to add body and shape. Chiffon is very soft and is used to drape. tulle would not be a good fabric for bugnet and would tend to have very different tensile issues. Chiffon might have the opposite problem of having no body and being saggy and sloppy. This has been my experience with the $1 wally world nettings.

edit: My wife, the fabric expert and costumer, says tulle would rip very easily while chiffon would be stronger but very saggy.
    Yes the noseeum is stiffer than the chiffon. Where we used it to put expansion panels on the end of the Hammock Bliss noseeum, that isn't really a problem though. Trying to gt reasonably priced noseeum was a far bigger problem - the chiffon can cost more per yard if you don't take advantage of those 40% or more sales, but S&H isn't a problem. When buying noseeum online, the S&H can double the cost for small yardages.

I've seen some netting at the local WalMart, but the stuff I have seen would be worthless as a substitute for noseeum. Of course, the selection seems to vary greatly from WalMart to WalMart.

Saggy could be a problem, but I doubt that it would be for Bridge Hammocks. If used as in the JRB BMBH, where the netting is attached all around, then the chiffon would probably work as well as noseeum since it would seem that the attached edges would keep the netting up and away. When used as in the Hammock Bliss netting, the spreader bars keep it away from the sides and the ridge line attachments keep it up and away. So again no problem. When used as TeeDee does with ridge line attachments and shock cording to pull everything tight, again the sagginess is not an issue.

For regular hammocks where the netting is attached to the suspension lines only, then the sagginess could be a problem.

One thing that we did encounter with the chiffon that has never been an issue with noseeum: fraying edges. I think it might be possible to skip doing rolled hems on the edges of noseeum. Chiffon most definitely must have the edges roll hemmed. Since the weave is looser than regular fabric, heat sealing the edges may not work.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    TeeDee and I are currently adapting a Hammock Bliss noseeum netting for one of the Narrow Bridges he's made. We purchased a Hammock Bliss noseeum netting from GoFastAndLight for $30.87 + S&H. Too good a deal to pass up and we wanted to see if it would fit a Bridge and if not what it took to make it fit.

It won't fit as is, which is pretty much what we expected.

Well we didn't want to spend any more than necessary for the alterations since we didn't know if it would work even then.

So in a visit to the local Hancock Fabrics on a 40% off sale day, we purchased some black chiffon for about $4/yard. Pretty amazing stuff in it's own right. The mesh is easy to see through and a whole lot finer than the noseeum or the nanoseeum.

We've got one end fitted and will do the other end in pretty much the same and it will work well.

My question: has anybody here used Chiffon in place of noseeum before. Either for patching or for a whole netting.

From handling it, it seems about as tough as the noseeum. The mesh is a whole lot finer, i.e., smaller, and so it seems that it should work as a substitute. About the only disadvantage we can think there may be is that the finer mesh may block more air inside the netting.

If it will make a viable substitute, then, it is a a lot easier to get locally, i.e., possible, and if purchased on a 40% day at Hancock or Joanne Fabrics, a whole lot less expensive.
    check this out,risk use's chiffon for netting on his homegrown how to hammock.i really like his websiteneo

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast