DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles

Lightbulb Please help me with DIY shopping list

Hi guys, since DIYGearSupply.com is taking a vacation for a couple days. I wanted to run my shopping list by everyone to help me figure out what I need. I just invested in a IKEA sewing machine $65 and am need of EVERYTHING ELSE. I don't know how to sew yet but I've seen all the videos and know I can do it,
    just guuna start with stuff sack, then a tablecloth hammock w/ ridgeline, then bugnet, then tarp, and finally once I think I can sew ok going to make UQ/TQ.
    So my question is what do I need to order?
    I see people use GrosGrain but all I see on his website is
    Tera 80 = Tex 35. 874yards. 100% Polyester. Black ---Will this work for everything?? Need two rolls? How long does thread roll last?
    --Amsteel 1/8. 200' for whoopie slings, ridgeline (excessive?)
    --Shock Cord 50'
    --¾ Nylon Webbing 30'
    --¾ D-rings
    --Descending rings
    --Silnylon Seconds 15 yards
    --Ripstop Seconds 15yards
    --Shockcord lock
    --What else do I need I would like to bulk order b/c shipping cost so if you think I need it. Please let me know

Thanks for all the advice and help. Take care.
    I know a lot of my questions will get answered by trial and error but would like to keep cost down so I turn to you'all.

“Take only memories, leave only footprints.” Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I could be wrong but I think the Tera 80 is a thread not grosgrain. Grosgrain comes in widths, 3/4", 1 1/2", etc.

The amsteel is way more than you need for what you plan on doing...right now. More than likely you'll end up hooked on DIY and end up using it on future projects. You can save a lil money and weight by getting 7/64 instead of 1/8.

Swap out the 3/4 nylon for 1" polyester. Nylon stretches and you'll end up with your butt dragging by morning.

If you're doing whoopie slings you don't NEED the rap rings. That will save you some money. Although with the amount of webbing you're getting having the rings would give you the option of using the webbing and rings for suspension instead of the whoopies.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    You're into this whole DIY thing with both feet. Great!

However, have you decided on a design or designs that you'd like to make? 'Cause that's really the point to start from.

I see that you want to make a stuff sack. Okay, good place to start. Have you decided on what's going to go inside of it? That'll help determine what amount of fabric you need for the dimensions you need to fit whatever is going inside of it.

You want to make an hammock? Great! Not an hard project, but one that involves a lot of the steps used in most of the other DIY projects that folks do here. If you want to start with a tablecloth hammock, Backwoods Daydreamer (DIY Gear Supply) sells hammock blanks that only need whipping and suspension to become an hammock (scroll down; it's under "Hammock Blank" and "Hammock Blank XL" towards the bottom of the page). If you want a lighter hammock, the 1.1 Ripstop Seconds on the same page will do just fine if you're up to about 175 lbs, the 1.4 Seconds should do you to about 210 or so, and the 1.9 Seconds should do you to about 250 or so; note that these are all assuming a single-layer hammock. Double layer hammocks up the load bearing capability of the fabric, but also increase weight.

What kind of bug net are you going to want? There are weighted-pocket designs out there (where you place rocks or dirt in pockets along the edge of the netting to hold it down around the hammock), designs that are a sock with a cordlock closure at one end, ones that use shock cord to close the bug net (the TED and Fronkey style ones being the most common), ones that use Velcro, and ones that use zippers. All of them work, and all have their pros and cons.

There's more, but before you go out and order a lot of material, it's going to be worth sitting down and making plans for what kind of hammock you want, what kind of tarp you want, what kind of quilts you want, etc. In the long run, good planning is going to save you more money and frustration than anything else could.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles

ya'll rock... lets roll

Thanks for the response. aww the internet. just took an internet history class and found out some really cool things.. DARPA wanted a way to avoid decapitation from Soviet's space threats so we could launch our stuff if they attacked first...Telephone lines weren't a valid option. Thus APRANET, then internet, WWW didn't happen for decades. I could go on...

As for what I need,
    -the Stuffsack is for the hammock.
    -Silnylon w/ snake skins for tarp.. Winter/4Season cuz I like shelter/privacy.
    -Bugnet. Fronkey has it right w/ enter/exit shockcord on bottom.
    -UQ/TQ i know is a project so i'mm just focus on these top three, first.

Thanks for the love. PEACE

Grosgrain isn't thread, but the Tera 80 is thread. That said how much you need is totally depend and on what your sewing. There are thread calculators that you can find that will give you a basic idea of what you will consume. But since you're new to making gear you'll want to keep in mind that you will have to account for the bobbin thread as well, so double what you come up with if the thread calculator you use doesnt account for for you.

FLRider is right, you kinda gotta know what you wanna make before you can go buying stuff in hopes it will work. Maybe an option to consider is taking a stuff sack you already have that you like the sze of and they to copy it. Or find one ou don't like the size of and take it apart and see how it was made and then put it back together again the size you want

Good luck on your journey into DIY!!! Remember though - pics or it didn't happen! You gotta share the fun with folks somehow
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

• + New Posts