Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I like whoopies for two reasons. One is that they are smaller and lighter than full straps. Two is that they are easier to adjust than straps & rings, for me.

Some complain that whoopies take extra room and require trees to be farther alart. But this isn't so if you use a comtinuois loop of line on the hammock end. If trees are close, simply hang the loop on a Marlin spike in the strap. The whoopie will just dangle freely.
    Say it, brother.

And for in-between situations: Where is it written that you can't hang from the side(s) of the tree(s), which are further apart??

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I keep seeing the minimum distance issue listed for whoopies, the minimum distance issue being that whoopies can only be made so small due to their required bury lengths. I saw a post about a year ago showing a simple way to solve this problem, but I can't find it now for the life of me. I'll try to describe it.

If you have a continuous loop on your hammock and use a Dutch biner (or normal carabiner) to connect it to the whoopie sling, you can double the whoopie over and loop it through the Dutch biner and go back up to the toggle. Example: Say the minimum distance of your whoopies is 5 ft and you need one that is 4 ft. Make the whoopie 8 ft long and double it over. Voila - 4 ft whoopie.

You can even triple the whoopie over if you need to for some reason. Maybe you need a 2 ft whoopie. Make it 6 ft and then triple it over (from toggle to Dutch biner, to toggle, back to biner). In this case, it would probably be better to use a biner in place of the toggle in the MSH.

~Dan

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 & DIY
    Tarp
    Clark & DIY Winter
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag only
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I just finished making my first set of whoopies. I can't wait to try them out. They seem much easier to use than the stock ropes that came on my Clark.

Making them was very easy thanks to SlowBro's directions on Hammock Forums here. I recommend using thin wire to pull the buried parts through, vice a yarn darning needle to pull it through. I tried both and the thin wire was way easier.

My only minor complaint was my choice of color, the green Amsteel Blue rope. I was hoping it was a little darker, but it is kind of a sickly faded green. Either way, it is very minor and I could not be happier with how they turned out.

I love to tinker with things, so I too question why anyone would buy whoopies. The rope was $0.34 per foot for 1/8" Amsteel Blue plus shipping (don't forget the Hammock Forums discount code at Redden Marine). I made mine that adjust from ~20 inches to just over 7 feet with 15 feet of rope each came to ~$10 plus shipping (~$9, but divided by another 70 feet of rope and some Lash-it). Overall it took about 2 hours and that was also being side-tracked with other things and gathering/making the tools. That also include buried eye splices on the fixed ends and buried ends on the tag end.

Enjoy,
    Bevo

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Whoopies for 3 seasons. Straps & buckle for winter.

S
    Still new to the Whoopies, why switch to straps in the winter?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Comet_Seeker View Post
    Still new to the Whoopies, why switch to straps in the winter?
    Whoopies can freeze and so do my fingers when temps drop. Hard to adjust without taking gloves off. With straps & buckles I never have to take my gloves off. I also set up my tarp rigging to minimize finger exposure.

S

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I like straps and cinch buckles. I would rather have my entire hammock suspension as one piece. I have found a tree strap left at a site. The setup is extremely fast since their is nothing to attach to each other... clip and pull, you're done.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    I haven't tried whoopies yet, but they might be my next DIY project.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    I prefer the webbing and cinch buckles myself.

I had a set of whoppies on my sons hammock, during a storm I acted in haste and cinched them down to far and could not retrieve the loop.
    I since purchased webbind and buckles for both of son's hammocks to match mine on the Warbonnet.

I know this was a mistake I made but there is no such mistake that can be made with webbing.

I also use the webbing to compress the hammock inside the blackbishop bag. If you wrap them tightly the size decreases tremendously..
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I like woopies for one reason and one reason only. I just like saying that I make woopie .

But all joking aside I like woopies for several reasons.
    1. Lighter
    2. Less Volume
    3. Using the Dutch woopie hook my suspension system is detachable from my hammock allowing me to set up my suspension system and then attach it to my hammock under my tarp in the rain with out ever having to step out into the rain.
    4. I find woopies easier to adjust them cinch buckles or descender rings (even though their all easy to adjust its just what I prefer and find easy)
    5. Well it fun making woopies
    +1 on the Dutch whoopie hook. I don't know of any other suspension system that is fully detachable from the hammock. You can pack the wet suspension separate from your dry hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Why woopies?

Marlin spike hitches are cool!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast