Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

It's OK to admit your hammock has blousy exterior pockets

The kewl guys have them now, too, and they are called "saddlebags."

The pockets on Clark junglehammocks are accessible from outside the zipped bug netting without unzipping. This is a potential security threat in environments in which raccoons have been selected for and evolved to have increased dexterity and it has worried me that the pockets are inaccessible from within the hammock without partial unzipping, so I am at a disadvantage at stopping the thief. In a reversal the patent-pending pockets on the Warbonnet Ridge Runner reverse the ease of access with

general purpose storage pockets on each side of the hammock which we are calling "saddlebags" [that] hang on the outside of the hammock but are accessible from the inside without having to unzip the netting, [and] they also remain fully functional when the netting is packed away

I am much relieved to learn that DWR nylon pockets I have carried are now no longer an embarrassing burden of weight and bulk except in true UL circles. I had been packing Clark, UQ, TQ, and fly all into one of those pockets as though it were a saddlebag and wondered about that for some time. I guess it is now safe to find and sew back on the cargo pockets carefully seam-ripped from all my pants in a compensating weight-saving gesture.

Also:
    "The netting unzips on 3 sides and stuffs into a storage pocket at the foot-end of the hammock."

That feature, too, is familiar. I know how to do that when I try a Ridge Runner, what with experience on several Clarks (except the UL --now I know what makes that lowly model UL)

Finally: It seems that some work has been done perfecting interior warmth from below:

More design differences of the Ridgerunner Hammock.

Spindrift

The Spindrift is our sock for the Ridgerunner, a "sock" (named after a tubular windsock) is a giant fabric sack that the hammock hangs entirely inside of. They're made of fabric that is both wind and water resistant but is breathable enough so you can keep it zipped up. The entire hammock (including your under-quilt) hangs inside the sock, creating an enclosed protected space. Since the space is enclosed, you'll usually notice an increase of 15-20deg or more compared to the outside air temp, this can help alot when the temperature approaches the limit of your top or underquilt. Socks are normally used in colder weather. If conditions contain rain or heavy wet snow you'll want a tarp in addition to the sock as the sock is water-resistant, not waterproof.
    Price: $110

All smilies implied. Complete respect for another innovator and first class hammock designer. Three serious jungle hammock makers -- Clark with the Flex 180, JRB with the UL Bridge, and Warbonnet Outdoors with the Ridge Runner -- have all introduced serious upgrades and structural innovations and improvements this year.

I couldn't help thinking back over a bit of Clark Hammock bashing as I read the very first descriptions of the new Ridge Runner and its accessories. It even sounded as if some posters had never heard of these type features.
    As well as I like my NX 250, if given an opportunity I will try out this new offering, as it seems well thought out, and by reputation of its builder, well built. I have never tried this style of hammock either and I would like some first hand knowledge.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Maybe stove-piping and ghettoing reduce arguments. There's not really been any Clark-bashing lately. Posts about Clark just have their place when they only appear in this, their place. Unfortunately, IMO, if posts are always mfg-forum segregated, they limit exchange and better solutions, too.

Between the high price of the Flex 180 WITH the bundled 11x10 tarp, and announcement and presentations only here, it is as though a different architecture was either insignificant or of no consequence to hammock design due to price and the fact that Clark came out with it. Price is why I pointed out that the new Warbonnet RR with Spindrift can get to $300. Add a large-enough tarp and there is no price difference at all!!(At which point it won't be a lightweight package either.)

More on the stove-piping: I noticed yesterday that the maker of the sometimes much-recommended-for-comfort and not-inexpensive Switchback announced in mid or early August that HF members could sign up to try, on a pay-it-forward basis, a specific model, complete with tarp. One way shipping to the next person was the total price of a 10 day trial. Wow.

Also !!!WOW!!! was that only 10 members had taken advantage of it. It can't be that we're all jaded or incurious and even unwilling to buy a previously owned model of a different hammock, knowing we can re-sell. But, Darby's offer was taken up by just 10 members, all on the day he posted, so probably by folks who read all of "Today's" postings. And then, I surmise his offer was lost because he didn't bump it fresh and it appeared in his mfg Forum. I know I was sorry to have missed it for so long. (I'll be trying it in December or January, fortunately no problem for me.....absent a better offer.)

---
    Back on topic. I was glad to have purchased a Warbonnet to find out it was everything in design and execution it could be. Following so much time in Clarks, I prefer a locally- stiffer bed, even with weight well under the WB guideline for a 1.7 oz mode. But that's just a trained preference about comfort.

I agree that the new Ridge Runner looks interesting, and I won't feel promiscuous to try one, too. I'm currently long on number and short on variety.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Polarpod / UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/rings
    I couldn't believe more people didn't take TTTG up on the switchback tour either.

What a fantastic idea for people to be able to try out a model without having to buy it.

• + New Posts