Cheap DIY UQ - What to choose?

Im only a few days away from having all the parts/materials needed to make my first DIY hammock. I know im going to go on a trip within the next month or two and use it overnight and my research has told me i need an UQ.

My options are:
    -Buy an UQ from a manufacturer - Nope, too expensive
    -Modify an old sleeping bag - Could do, although my sleeping bag is heavy & doesnt compact down much
    -Use a pad - Tried, hated it!
    -Poncho liner - Cheap & Tempting
    -Would a feather (Down) bed quilt work?

Would a poncho liner, unfolded and hung closely under a (single layer ripstop) hammock be a decent UQ?
    How much does a Poncho Liner weigh?

What should i do?

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    My options are:
    -Buy an UQ from a manufacturer - Nope, too expensive
    -Modify an old sleeping bag - Could do, although my sleeping bag is heavy & doesnt compact down much
    -Poncho liner - Cheap & Tempting See Below
    -Would a feather (Down) bed quilt work? Could, but weight and compressability maybe not so different from your modified sleeping bag, and most of the time the quilt liner is made of tight weave cotton, which is a moisture magnet.

Would a poncho liner, unfolded and hung closely under a (single layer ripstop) hammock be a decent UQ? I have taken my sewn PL UQ with 1 layer Insultex to 45 degrees comfortable.

How much does a Poncho Liner weigh? - My PL UQ weighed 734 grams (1.62 lbs), includes shock cord, IX, and toggles.

Option 28, make a DIY Down UQ, fabric maybe $20, down depends on source, and its a great thing to have the satisfaction of making your own. Given your time constraint, whip up the no-sew or sewn PL UQ.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    I just made the 3 layer ix underquilt from diygearsupply (the plans are also posted in the DIY section here). It was super easy and only took a few hours of time. Also, I think it will save you a little room and weight (I think it's about 1lb). Cost to make it was about $60 for everything and you will have the materials in about a week.

Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I can speak as to the poncho liner. The liner itself comes in at about 23 oz, and the no-sew version will take most folks into the low fifties/mid forties comfortably.

If you sew the liner up and add a layer of insulation (I used InsulBright, a mylarized fleece), it's temp rating and weight will vary based upon the added insulation. Mine, I've taken as low as 25 F comfortably with good clothing, proper top insulation, and an hot water bottle. I've taken it as low as 21 F survivably, though I did not have as much clothing or top insulation, and I was cold all night (not cold enough to not sleep, but cold for certain when I woke).

A PLUQ is heavy and bulky compared to some options out there, but it's hard to beat the insulation for the price.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Poncho Liner sounds like the best solution so far then, decent insulation at a price i can afford. Light enough too.

I suppose if the PL doesnt work well enough, i can mod it to be a sleeping bag or.. maybe a top quilt? Id find a use for it.

Thanks for the help..

To ebay!

Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Poncho Liner sounds like the best solution so far then, decent insulation at a price i can afford. Light enough too.

I suppose if the PL doesnt work well enough, i can mod it to be a sleeping bag or.. maybe a top quilt? Id find a use for it.

Thanks for the help..

To ebay!
    You can use it as a top quilt as-is (that's what they were originally developed for, a wet-warm-weather top quilt that could be used inside the standard GI poncho when it's used as a bivvy). I'd recommend tying the foot-end and mid-point ties together (though not the mid-point to the foot-end; I'm talking across the width of the liner) to create a footbox. It's not quite as nice as using a real top quilt with a drawstring footbox or sewn footbox, but it's still okay down into the mid-to-high 40s F.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger