Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

20 degree quilts during the spring/fall? really?

I have a set of quilts rated to 20 degrees - and have slept in them to the mid teens - but can you REALLY vent them enough for spring and fall use (lows in the 50's)?

For weight reduction and less insulation required, I have considered purchasing a set (at least an UQ) of summer quilts in the 40 degree range. OR just an UQ and use my present poncho liner as a top quilt. BUT I'm not sure I want to spend the money there as I have a few other items in mind....

SO, can you REALLY vent the 20 degree quilts enough that you aren't clammy during the spring and fall?

Opinions and advice are welcome!
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 09-24-2014 at 14:10.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Yes. Just hang it lose with the end channels open. You might freeze so adjust accordingly.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    +1 on Nuttysquirrel. I use my only undequilt, a DIY 800+ fill goose down to -25c (-13F) in all seasons. I just vent, sleeping comfortable in the knowledge that I can adjust to any temp. Sleeping cold's a drag.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I was comfortable with my 20*UQ the other night in the 60's (fitted closely, not vented). IMO, an UQ doesn't make you warmer, it just keeps you from getting cold. It can't make you any warmer than your body heat but it keeps you from losing heat and keeps the cold from coming in. I'm probably not entirely correct about that and I'm sure someone will gently correct me if needed Of course, venting does let body heat escape, and lets cooling airflow in, so your warm UQ can be used on the warm nights as well
    Somewhat like a mattress in a bed at home - if you get too warm you throw off the top covers - you don't need to change mattresses.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I had a 20* Phoenix I used in all seasons for a couple of years, from overnight lows of 70* F to 13* F. I never ever vented the UQ, just the TQ. I agree with Passinthru that "an UQ doesn't make you warmer, it just keeps you from getting cold."

It's really easy to vent with a TQ; you're just tryiing to lower your core body temp. I start with pulling the TQ down from chin level to chest level, then I might stick my arms out, then a leg, etc. If I'm still hot I kick the TQ off entirely.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I was comfortable with my 20*UQ the other night in the 60's (fitted closely, not vented). IMO, an UQ doesn't make you warmer, it just keeps you from getting cold. It can't make you any warmer than your body heat but it keeps you from losing heat and keeps the cold from coming in. I'm probably not entirely correct about that and I'm sure someone will gently correct me if needed Of course, venting does let body heat escape, and lets cooling airflow in, so your warm UQ can be used on the warm nights as well
    Somewhat like a mattress in a bed at home - if you get too warm you throw off the top covers - you don't need to change mattresses.
    This be my experience as well
    Until temps start exceeding 65-70* it is full on 20* UQ and vent using the TQ.
    The 20 has to be the most versatile UQ going...IMO
    For me in Northern climes the 40* would be the perfect indoor UQ otherwise is purely a luxury item for summer time hangs.....

Save your coin for 'other' goodies
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    For me in Northern climes the 40* would be the perfect indoor UQ otherwise is purely a luxury item for summer time hangs.....
    My exact thought on my 40* quilt set - a luxury item.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Wow, thanks for the feedback. I will spend my money elsewhere.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Agreed with all the above. I use my phoenix 20 year round, just vent it. Full length in cooler temps and really cold full length with the phoenix.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WarBonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Awesome info... This is my first year hanging, got my first trip coming up in a couple days. I ordered an Incubator 0 due to the weather here dropping to sub zero during the winter, and I wanted to be prepared for the temp drop. I also wondered if I had to get a separate under quilt for warmer but still cool nights. I figured that I'd rather have the versatility to hang in the winter and be warm over being a little chilly in fall/spring. It is nice to know that I can open it up and allow more airflow during the warmer months. I will let you know how it goes this weekend. I don't expect the temp to drop less than 40...
    Last edited by MorChaos; 09-24-2014 at 18:38.
    "Dreams without goals remain dreams, just dreams, and they ultimately fuel disappointment... Goals on the road to achievement, cannot be achieved without discipline and consistency. Between goals and achievements are discipline and consistency." Denzel Washington

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast