Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Cold weather question

I am a very cold sleeper. Slept comfortably at 35 degrees last year with a 15 degree pad and a 15 degree sleeping bag used as a TQ, with a HH Hex tarp.

Planning some late fall/early winter hikes and I would love to be warm enough for winter hanging. Ultimately, I am thinking of a trip to the Smokies in November....

I invested in a 20 degree incubator. If I add a thick pad (not just CCF) how low can I go? 20? 0? or do I need to go for the -20 degree UQ?

Of course, I will play with it in my yard first, but where I live the temps are easily 10-15 degrees above where I hike and camp.

Thanks for the input!

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Pads, no matter how thick, will only get you so far. Unless your sleeping on a 4' wide pad, your sides will be exposed. You can always try an extra thick pad, they are cheap enough, or make a custom one with wings. An uq is always more comfortable and in my eyes warmer.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I have a 20F under quilt that I've slept comfortably in to -11F, by supplementing it with a Thermarest. I'm a warm sleeper, I used a 10F to 15F top quilt and I was wearing a layer of heavy weight poly pro long Johns, a layer of fleece, a down vest, down insulated drawers, thick wool socks, shearling chopper mitts, a wool scarf and a rabbit fur hat. I don't camp in single digit enough to justify buying a 0F under quilt. Although under quilts are more comfy than pads I don't mind pads. I don't think under quilts are any warmer than pads, rated for the same temp., except they do give more coverage around the shoulders without having to make pad extenders.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    So I can supplement my uq with a pad for lower temperature ratings, but I will still need lots of clothing and possibly ccf wings to keep my upper body warm?...

I think there are a lot of variables to consider, just want to err on side of caution because of the risk of hypothermia.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    So I can supplement my uq with a pad for lower temperature ratings, but I will still need lots of clothing and possibly ccf wings to keep my upper body warm?...

I think there are a lot of variables to consider, just want to err on side of caution because of the risk of hypothermia.
    The Smokies in November aren't that cold. You probably will be above 20, and it is not very likely to go below 10 even at the high spots that time of year. The 20 degree Phoenix will take care of your shoulders, and about any pad will buy you quite a bit more warmth. A Thermarest with the 20 degree Phoenix should handle 0 F IMHO. That just leaves your top to consider.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Winter camp

Use a sock which is wonderful to cut wind and add more warmth. Also, In the winter I always bring a torso length CCF pad just in case I get caught in temps lower then I planned. You will need the pad if your hammock system fails for whatever reason and you need to sleep on the ground in a ditch or a snow cave.

S

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    Yes, you may want to wear your JRB sleeves and get the down booties too.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Don't discount the pads. They do not supplement the UQ, IMO the UQ supplements them. Many add a pad when the temp drops below what the UQ can handle, but the reality is the pad by itself may have been enough insulation at that temp without the UQ.

Tent sleeper pads are not designed for hammockers which is why they are so skinny. The easiest way to accomplish the side of shoulder issue is with a shorter piece of ccf placed perpendicular to the first one. I cut mine to be the exact width of the hammock so it fits in the sleeve perfectly. Cutting the wind is paramount. Any slight bit of air movement will steal any trapped warmth immediately from your UQ. Pads are more forgiving, but at really cold temps, you still want to eliminate all movement. I rig my poncho as a garlington insulator under my hammock to accomplish this. My pack liner can be used as extra insulation if needed (ala garlington). Did -11*F with 20mph winds across a frozen reservoir (bad site selection, but I was with tenters) and was toasty warm. Did -22*F with only slight winds and was also toasty warm. When the temps drop below zero, I use pads exclusively. There is less margin for error, and the weight to warmth ratio seems to better for me. (volume not so much!) Also, don't forget about your bugnetting; it provides additional warmth.
    Last edited by DuctTape; 09-02-2012 at 05:51.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

and dont forget the olive oil.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    and dont forget the olive oil.
    And cheese is another great internal heater just before bedtime.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast