Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Another PLUQ question

I bought a poncho liner, and instead of cutting it up and sewing it into an underquilt, I just folded it in half and put small snaps around the perimeter. I wanted to keep my options open as far as the use of the liner. Since I have a fully adjustable second layer in my "Magna-Hammock", I don't need to put suspension on the PLUQ itself. This adjustability also means the insulation will not be compressed like it is between layers of a regular DL hammock. The second layer is also waterproof and of course windproof, but I can pop the magnets on the seams loose for ventilation if needed.

OK, now to my question. I was thinking about using large foam windshield sunscreens inside the snapped up liner as supplemental insulation, but then I saw the IX thread pop up. I had forgotten about that. I could easily get a few yards of that and layer it inside the PL. Can you see any need for the baffles like go into the usual IX underquilt since the layers will not be sewn together? How low of a temp. do you think I could go with having 2 or 3 layer of IX inside the PLUQ? Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Hiknhanger; 08-30-2012 at 13:43.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Is that a pimple? No, it's a bump!

Any input anyone?

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I did one awhile back with a single layer of Thremofleece in the middle .. sewn .. I've had it to Mid 30*F's with no discomfort .. weighs nearly 2lbs and is bulky .. so it's gone to the shelf for a guest .. everything I use now is down filled .. price per pound though .. and for the shoulder seasons .. PLUQ's are a great choice
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Hikn, I sew in a loop of thread (bout a 1/2 inch lop) and tie it off, I usually place one about every square foot or so to secure position of the IX in relation to the PL... and if temps get too warm for insultex, snip quilting loops, and remove insert. Easy.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    I did one awhile back with a single layer of Thremofleece in the middle .. sewn .. I've had it to Mid 30*F's with no discomfort .. weighs nearly 2lbs and is bulky .. so it's gone to the shelf for a guest .. everything I use now is down filled .. price per pound though .. and for the shoulder seasons .. PLUQ's are a great choice
    Thanks for the input Black Wolf. I doubt I will be hanging in extreme cold, but the mid 30's could always be possible during the night sometimes in late fall. The budget dictates no down right now. I would think with it being inside the windproof layer, I might be able to wring even a few more degrees out of it?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    Hikn, I sew in a loop of thread (bout a 1/2 inch lop) and tie it off, I usually place one about every square foot or so to secure position of the IX in relation to the PL... and if temps get too warm for insultex, snip quilting loops, and remove insert. Easy.
    That's a good idea Aardvark. Quick & simple. Thanks for that idea!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I've done a windshield reflector. Cheap and light. I also use the reflector as a sit pad around camp. Not alot of padding, but it keeps your butt dry. Been into the 30's and comfy.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I've done a windshield reflector. Cheap and light. I also use the reflector as a sit pad around camp. Not alot of padding, but it keeps your butt dry. Been into the 30's and comfy.
    Did you use just one reflector and get that low Gargoyle?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I've added a layer of InsulFleece (like what Black Wolf talks about above) in the middle of my sewn PLUQ. It did well as low as 25 F with proper clothing, good top insulation, and an hot water bottle.

Note that I'm a very warm sleeper. However, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this as insulation down to freezing for almost anyone (if you're a notoriously cold sleeper, I'd rate it to the mid-thirties before you feel cold).

If you supplement with a torso-sized 1/4" thick CCF pad, I wouldn't be surprised if you could go as low as 20 F without too much trouble.

The PLUQ is heavy (compared to most underquilt options for the same temp rating) and, especially, bulky. For the money, though, it's hard to beat the comfort and temperature rating.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts