Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I agree with Boomer, it looks a lot like a Clark hammock to me...
    I just watched the Clark NX-250 video. Actually only the support pole is similar and even that is completely different in material selection and form. This pole system is used by dozen of different bivouac sack manufacturer.

There is not much one can do differently when opening netting and cover, zipper around the hammock. This is done in every known hammock.

Unique in the Alpine hammock are those ventilation openings at the foot and head end. And of course the fact that the weather shield is Gore-tex.

The form of the hammock seems to be similar, but that is same with all hammocks.

And in the end, this is not the final version of the Alpine hammock - we must wait a few weeks more.

But I must say that Clark hammock seemed nice!

Maybe I will order one at some point...
    Last edited by voivalin; 06-17-2013 at 14:06.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Talking Almost there!!!

http://www.alpinehammock.com/shop/the-alpine-hammock/

Should have said: They are almost there and I'm almost getting my Alpine Hammock - I'm just a Kickstarter supporter not a member of their team.
    Last edited by voivalin; 06-28-2013 at 14:58.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    The concept here looks really good. One thing that may be a design issue is the lack of insulation on the bottom. If you're on the ground, you can use a pad. But, what are you going to do if you are hanging?

I suggest you consider integrating a sleeve on the bottom so that a pad can be inserted at the very least. That will bridge the gap when it's too warm to use an UQ and too cold to have no insulation under you. In addition, it will expand your low temp range and versatility by offering the ability to use both an UQ and a pad.

HTH

Good luck with your project. I'm really interested to see what you guys end up with.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver View Post
    I suggest you consider integrating a sleeve on the bottom so that a pad can be inserted at the very least. That will bridge the gap when it's too warm to use an UQ and too cold to have no insulation under you. In addition, it will expand your low temp range and versatility by offering the ability to use both an UQ and a pad.
    with.
    As I added to my former post, it is not my project, I'm just a supporter.

I see no need for pad sleeve. I use all of my DL hammocks with pad and put pad directly under me, not between layers. Works very well. I use CCF pads and air pads. Only if I use both at the same time I usually put the CCF pad between layers.

I think it is a myth that DL hammock or pad sleeve is needed when pad is used. It is much easier to put pad in hammock and sleep directly over it. It is much easier to adjust pad when it is free. When the pad is between layers, it can not be adjusted when You are in hammock. And it is not easy to put the pad directly at right spot beforehand.

Then there is the fact that the Alpine hammock is supposed to be used without tarp. There is no UQ that will stay dry under the Alpine hammock when it is raining. So pad is the only alternative - at least I think it so.

Hammocking without tarp, only with pad and TQ was the idea that is the biggest point of this design.

Easy and fast setup. Hang it or sleep on ground. Same gear used all the time. No need for extra stuff in different situations.

Tarp is needed only for as a deluxe item to for example cook and eat under it - if it rains non stop - and that tarp can be much smaller than normal hammock tarp.
    Last edited by voivalin; 06-28-2013 at 15:18.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Re: The Alpine Hammock is REAL!

Thanks for keeping us updated. I also like to see people innovating in this area.

You wondered why others aren't excited. Here is my constructive feedback.

You say there is no need for a tarp, but what is the 'weather cover' if not another name for a tarp? Its not like there is one less piece of gear you are bringing.

I think many would prefer to be under a tarp in the rain. Being in this would be more like a bivy or a tent.

I would also be concerned putting my hammock near or on the ground if the system was used in tent mode, even with some layer in between. If the fabric were to catch on a sticker, sharp rock, etc it would be an issue. With a tent this isn't as big of a deal because it isn't bearing my weight.

Finally it solves a problem I don't have, which is needing a hammock that can be converted into a tent. Maybe if I lived in an area with more tundra.

I do hope you make a video if you get one of these so we can see how it works in action.

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I like the concept and wouldn't mind trying it out. On the other hand, I still see a need for a tarp in an extended rain storm (changing clothes, cooking, etc). With that being said, one could get away with an untraditionally small tarp. A 5x5 foot tarp perhaps. Just thinking...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    I see no need for pad sleeve. I use all of my DL hammocks with pad and put pad directly under me, not between layers. Works very well. I use CCF pads and air pads. Only if I use both at the same time I usually put the CCF pad between layers.

I think it is a myth that DL hammock or pad sleeve is needed when pad is used. It is much easier to put pad in hammock and sleep directly over it. It is much easier to adjust pad when it is free. When the pad is between layers, it can not be adjusted when You are in hammock. And it is not easy to put the pad directly at right spot beforehand.
    I think that's the first time I've seen that argument. Interesting.

I am not a pad user anymore and haven't been for years, but I still do some experimenting from time to time. I've always found it much easier and convenient to use a pad sleeve instead of laying directly on the pad. When directly on the pad, I always seem to wake up with the pad out of place. Then I have to do the pad-dance again....which I don't like. I don't believe anyone says you "need" to use a double layer hammock with a pad. I think people just generally like using a double layer with a pad for the sake of convenience.

The reason (main) I don't use pads anymore is due to all the sweating I do when laying on them. It is misery for a warm sleeper like myself to wake up to everything being damp from sweat. Hated it! By using a layer of fabric between myself and the pad, I've found that much of the perspiration is wicked away and allowed to evaporate. Even if there was no pad-dance, this would be plenty enough reason for me to use a double layer hammock with a pad. Course, I also sweat more than most folks, so this issue may just be one of my personal pet peeves. It happens.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Wink Problems with tarps - The Alpine hammock to the rescue!

You enjoy sleeping directly under sky but if You leave the tarp away it will rain couple hours later when it is dark and You must get up to hang Your tarp. At least here in Finland we have those rain showers which pass over you during night. The Alpine Hammock solves that problem - go to sleep under the netting or even without it and close the cover if rain comes.

Sometimes there are no trees, if using UQ and Tarp You must carry a pad and also hiking poles or you must find poles from the baron ground, for example when on the hill tops. The Alpine Hammock solves this problem also. You have a pad with you and there is no need for other pole than the one You use anyway with the Alpine Hammock.

People use those small diamond tarps to get away only with two ground anchor points - easier setup and lighter pack. But with the Alpine hammock it is even better, no need to hang tarp at all. (And those very small/light tarps do not give you a very good protection anyway).

Tarp needs more space around it than hammock, it can sometimes limit the hanging site selection. The Alpine hammock helps, if You can hang the hammock then the site is good enough.

And then there are those short one day hikes, canoe-, ski- or bike trips. Now You can have a one piece of gear with You and You are covered from short term rain showers and storms and You can take a wonderful nap anytime just like in normal hammock (in this kind of short use insulation is not necessary). So just throw the Alpine Hammock to Your pack and You have a resting place and a shelter from the elements with You if needed. What could be simpler, faster and easier?

And for the Cannibal: Sweating is good point supporting DL pad use, but do You really sleep butt and backside naked in Your hammock?!

(Just the vision I got if the most important layer between You and the pad is hammock material as You said)

But seriously maybe I just sleep so still - and on the other hand I wake up many times during a night anyway - that I do not have problems with my pad directly under me.
    Last edited by voivalin; 06-29-2013 at 02:24.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Viovallin - your passion on this topic makes me smile - I do hope you get to try one soon and get some pics.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I like the concept and wouldn't mind trying it out. On the other hand, I still see a need for a tarp in an extended rain storm (changing clothes, cooking, etc). With that being said, one could get away with an untraditionally small tarp. A 5x5 foot tarp perhaps. Just thinking...
    I had the same thoughts about protecting other gear, cooking, etc. Glad I wasn't the only one still a pretty neat design though!
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast