Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO SuperFly
    Suspension
    Atlas SlapStraps

Question Need help with a search for a tarp...

Hey Everyone!! Being new to all of this I have been reading like crazy !
    I really enjoy how everyone shares their knowledge and experience with different issues!

I have been trying to find a hammock tarp that would serve for hot days and Cold nights (not lower than 30 degrees). My idea is that the sides of the tarp could be rolled-up using fabric strips or pegs that are attached to the sides in several stages for different weather conditions. For hot weather it could be rolled-up all the way to allow for more air to pass thru. For semi-rainy weather it could be half way, and for winter weather, all the way unrolled. I have been looking at a lot of different descriptions for tarps that have been recommended in the forum, but the closest i've seen to it relates to the removable doors, but not anything related to be able to roll the sides up...

This description is similar to the old army canvas tents like this one...

What I'm looking does not have to be super light since it will be used primarily for car camping with the boy scouts. I would also like it to be semi-big so it can also be used for an inpromptu shelter.

Any ideas on where i can find something like this will be greatly appreciated!!
    Just Hangin'

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I don't know that there is a tarp mentioned here that does what you describe. What I and others do is adjust the level of the tarp for different conditions. This means changing the tie outs to different heights. For hot weather I set up the ridgeline and the sides higher up with one side in "porch mode" using trekking poles. In colder, wet or windy conditions I set up with the tarp and sides closer to the ground.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Moss Parawing
    Insulation
    REI Sub-Kilo
    Suspension
    webbing 'n 'biners
    The military tent you have pictured is stout enough to hang in if you install it over a set of floorboards. I called one home for several summers when I was a bit younger, but I wouldn't drag so much around these days.

As an ASM I just set up a LARGE tarp. Its a MSR 19' Parawing. If the weather is bad the tie outs on the corners are on 1' tie outs and the tarp sides are nearly pinned to the ground. If the weather is fair I run the tie outs' stakes out to 12' and the tips of the wings are around 3 feet off the ground. If the weather is beautiful it is still staked with 12' leads but my trekking poles lift the wings 5' or so off the ground. In a heavy windy down pour it's enough to easily shelter a whole patrol, possibly 2 if attendance is light. (10-12 scouts.) If windy just point a lower corner into the wind and stake it low and it will drive the wind up and over the tarp.

If your at all interested in this approach you may want to look into the
    MSR Zing

or the

NRS river wing
    “Rivets are the new duct tape.”

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I also spent several summers sleeping in one of those tents, and I can't say I enjoyed it.

From what you describe, you're not even looking for a tarp - you're looking for a group tent or shelter. I doubt seriously you'll find much info on this forum that would be useful, though some of the Scouters might better understand what you seek.

You're basically looking for a canvas wall tent. If that's what you want, then why not buy a canvas wall tent? Plenty of them to be found at:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...spx?c=80&s=430

You could just buy an army surplus tent. Here's a sweet 16x32 inch tent that weighs in at an ultralight (w/poles) 530 lbs. On sale for $950, poles not included.

Maybe you could modify a Hilleberg Altai to do what you want.

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/altai/altai.php

I'll be interested to see what you ultimately decide.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO SuperFly
    Suspension
    Atlas SlapStraps
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.ooohhh View Post
    The military tent you have pictured is stout enough to hang in if you install it over a set of floorboards. I called one home for several summers when I was a bit younger, but I wouldn't drag so much around these days.

As an ASM I just set up a LARGE tarp. Its a MSR 19' Parawing. If the weather is bad the tie outs on the corners are on 1' tie outs and the tarp sides are nearly pinned to the ground. If the weather is fair I run the tie outs' stakes out to 12' and the tips of the wings are around 3 feet off the ground. If the weather is beautiful it is still staked with 12' leads but my trekking poles lift the wings 5' or so off the ground. In a heavy windy down pour it's enough to easily shelter a whole patrol, possibly 2 if attendance is light. (10-12 scouts.) If windy just point a lower corner into the wind and stake it low and it will drive the wind up and over the tarp.

If your at all interested in this approach you may want to look into the
    MSR Zing

or the

NRS river wing
    Thank you for your response. I looked at the tarps and they look great! The only problem is the price! $399! Wow! I was also looking at the ENO Superfly which I found at $215. My budget is kind of limited right now. If you have any pointers on where to get them at a better price, please forward! Thanks again
    Just Hangin'

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO SuperFly
    Suspension
    Atlas SlapStraps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I also spent several summers sleeping in one of those tents, and I can't say I enjoyed it.

From what you describe, you're not even looking for a tarp - you're looking for a group tent or shelter. I doubt seriously you'll find much info on this forum that would be useful, though some of the Scouters might better understand what you seek.

You're basically looking for a canvas wall tent. If that's what you want, then why not buy a canvas wall tent? Plenty of them to be found at:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...spx?c=80&s=430

You could just buy an army surplus tent. Here's a sweet 16x32 inch tent that weighs in at an ultralight (w/poles) 530 lbs. On sale for $950, poles not included.

Maybe you could modify a Hilleberg Altai to do what you want.

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/altai/altai.php

I'll be interested to see what you ultimately decide.
    I'm looking for something more portable and way less heavy...maybe I need to look in
    The DIY forum. I've never been good at sewing, but it seems with a little practice....
    Just Hangin'

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I doubt it fits your budget constraints, but there was this thread about a geodesic dome built by some Canadian Venture Scouts a while back.

If you're up for a project like that, I'm sure a read through that thread will yield enough information to get started.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Moss Parawing
    Insulation
    REI Sub-Kilo
    Suspension
    webbing 'n 'biners
    Quote Originally Posted by happycoqui View Post
    Thank you for your response. I looked at the tarps and they look great! The only problem is the price! $399! Wow! I was also looking at the ENO Superfly which I found at $215. My budget is kind of limited right now. If you have any pointers on where to get them at a better price, please forward! Thanks again
    Well the ENO is a good fly as well but their definition of "large" in this situation and mine aren't really the same.

The ENO superfly covers 121 sqft of real estate

My MSR parawing (and the Moss which is the same design/size) covers 182 sqft (BTW it's the smallest tarp I would consider calling a "large tarp" for a group camping setting.)

The NRS Riverwind covers 190 sqft

and the

Msr zing comes in at 200 sqft

The reason that most of these tarps I recommend are more expensive is b/c they are larger which means they use more fabric, have more seams, and must be capable of supporting a higher wind load due to the larger size. They are also built very well.

Our oldest Moss Parawing has been pitched in 3 countries and nearly every state of the US since my dad bought it around 1994!

If your looking on a tight budget you may want to check out the Kelty Noah's Tarp 16' (covers 256 sqft) for and affordable entry into larger tarps. It's $70 (but leaves out the poles, rope, and stakes allowing you to choose your own.)
    It's not a quite the bomb shelter the others are but you can get a good taste for if you like that style of tarp without breaking the bank.

Choose the 192"x192" from the dropdown.

BTW the older Moss wing designs were $300-$400 new, now they bring x2 on ebay!

Used moss parawing auction on ebay
    Last edited by 2.ooohhh; 08-31-2012 at 13:01.
    “Rivets are the new duct tape.”

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO SuperFly
    Suspension
    Atlas SlapStraps
    Well... I was pleaently surprised last Friday night when i was still looking for the tarp and found a place where the ENO SuperFly was being sold for only $176.00 including shipping.

This tarp was originally $269.00 and basically was almost $100 less. The size is about what i was looking for and i will use the lowering and raising of the sides to control the weather.

I dont know if this place is widely known.... it is www.geartrade.com... you can also get gear, new and used for there....

Thanks to everyone for their comments!!!
    Just Hangin'

Images
    The closest thing I can think of is Smokehouse's tarps. His 'Smokehouse' & 'Honeymoon Suite'. He actually made one his Smokehouse's for me and it's real nice. I think he still makes them on request...
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1041111...Smokehouse202#
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1041111...oneymoonSuite#
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27220
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10274

• + New Posts