Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Cave Creek Hammock (Hexon 1.0)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Huggers

Hanging over the river

I see all these great pictures of people hanging their hammocks over a river or some type of body of water. It looks like a lot of fun, but I sure wouldn't wan't to get wet right before climbing in a hammock to go to sleep. Is there a secret to this?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hall View Post
    I see all these great pictures of people hanging their hammocks over a river or some type of body of water. It looks like a lot of fun, but I sure wouldn't wan't to get wet right before climbing in a hammock to go to sleep. Is there a secret to this?
    I wouldn't want to get wet right after climbing in a hammock to go to sleep. One little suspension mishap and (depending on your setup) you could find yourself in a very Houdini-esque situation.

But to answer the original intent of this thread, I imagine they're getting in from a kayak or canoe and a buddy paddles off to take a picture. Either that or,like you suggest, they're getting wet
    Last edited by timabababaluka; 09-01-2012 at 00:56. Reason: Comma drama
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I know that I've done it a couple times near my house. There's a large creek that runs through the back. Some of the tree roots and large rocks make it easy to get the hammock over the water and then with careful footing I can climb in. It is very relaxing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    It gets really cool when frogs forget you are there and they will be right under you singing away and jumping in the creek.

I was like a child, again again again, I say. Lol
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Don't try this at home . . .

. . . but this could be where the Clark NX/TX series come in handy,
    what with the spreader bars in place and holding the Hammock open . . .

. . . with it set up over water . . . starting from afar . . . take a running leap from the dry ground and land in the hammock.

Could become an olympic sport . . . Eh Sport.

Sorry couldn't help but thinkin' . . . just how I'm wired.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

HH

I'd think the best setup in this situation would be the Hennessy with bottom entry!

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I recently did an over-nighter on the Mississippi. the trail ran along a ridge up on a high bluff. I seriously thought about hanging on the side of the bluff. The view would have been spectacular but in the end I thought better of it. I moved just far enough back from the edge so there was a little brush and a few trees between me and the edge. I could still see out/down and it was spectacular but there was enough that if something gave out I'd likely be able to get a hold of something before I took the plunge. I've seen these mountain climbing guys hand these tent things off the sheer side of a cliff and sleep in them; I think I'd be to scared to do that.

I suppose if you check out your gear and are really careful, camping in the back end of a swamp out of a kayak could be really fun.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by drchip View Post
    I'd think the best setup in this situation would be the Hennessy with bottom entry!
    I agree it may be the easiest to get in and out of. However, can you image if something gave/slipped and dumped you into the water. It could be very ugly trying to get out and not tangled up in the excitement of the moment.

Of course, that would go for any hammock with a net or over-cover.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I recently did an over-nighter on the Mississippi. the trail ran along a ridge up on a high bluff. I seriously thought about hanging on the side of the bluff. The view would have been spectacular but in the end I thought better of it. I moved just far enough back from the edge so there was a little brush and a few trees between me and the edge. I could still see out/down and it was spectacular but there was enough that if something gave out I'd likely be able to get a hold of something before I took the plunge. I've seen these mountain climbing guys hand these tent things off the sheer side of a cliff and sleep in them; I think I'd be to scared to do that.

I suppose if you check out your gear and are really careful, camping in the back end of a swamp out of a kayak could be really fun.
    The climbers are harnessed in at night, if they fell or something gave way they are still attached to their climbing rigging.

I once saw a photo I think in Australia of a guy with his hammock set up over the top of his canoe/kayak, between two trees during a flood. It was like camping in the middle of a lake. He had his tarp guyed out to the bow and stern of his boat perpindicularvto the hammock. Seems like the boat movement would wreak havoc on the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    If I were to do this or a high hang, I think I would run a heavy line stretched above the hammock and do a hand-over-hand to get out to where I could lower myself into it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast