Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor Camouflage Jungle Hammock

Claytor Diamond Fly - leak

Hi there.
    I would like to share my first experience with overnight in the Claytor hammock.
    I posted this reply last week where is described shortly what service Tom provided. Overall I was pleased.

Two days ago we went with my friend in to the woods, to get our first experience with hammock. Set up was quit easy (packing also) and I admit we should choose 1 or 2 feet's longer distance between trees (as you can see on foto in album). Hammock itself is great, easy to get in, get out, heavy-duty, comfortable.
    About 9:30PM thunderstorm hit us. Heavy raining, lightning all over the sky. It was pretty good condition to test Claytor Hammocks and D Fly. After two hours we checked if tarp is ok and not leaking. There comes biggest disappointment. My Diamond Fly was leaking in all seam and after few hours you could see drops of water on the bottom side of tarp. My friend's Fly had factory defects. They can be seen if you check it against light. It is like you pull the string out of it. Weak part of tarp, which didn't hold a water at all. Consequence if this was 1/3 of hammock wet. Something we really didn't expected.

Result = we have to buy some more durable tarps, because Claytor Fly didn't succeed in condition quiet usual in our country.

Regards,
    Ondra

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Normally seams on tarps required seam sealing.....could be the problem with your drip problem. Not as sure on your friends.
    Good luck with all that.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I agree with Shug, you need to seam seal the tarps. If you do a good job, your leaks should go away. But, I really think the tarp manufacturers need to seam seal their tarps before they sell them!

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    maybe I am all wet here ... but on the diamond fly the seams are below / out of the way of the hammock.. When it started leaking did it run on down to the end of the dripline area. I am perfectly happy with the Claytor JH I have and understand why the seam on the JH is how it is... It is supposed to work like roof shingles... High parts up roof and the lower seam is underneath allowing the rain to run down hill with minimal resistance.

I have been through a pretty big storm just about a month ago "2.5 inch" thunderstorm and the fly did what it needed. If I had any gear that far out on the drip edge... I expected it to get wet.
    It does look like you have a pretty good pitch on your fly to let the rain run off... did any of your gear get wet?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I spray my seams with silicone waterproof spray every year holding the can about 2 inches from the seam. It soaks the seam and I have not had any issues with my claytor leaking. I have been using it for 100 + nights a year for 4 years.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I agree with Shug, you need to seam seal the tarps. If you do a good job, your leaks should go away. But, I really think the tarp manufacturers need to seam seal their tarps before they sell them!
    Any decent manufacturer should tape their seems from the factory! I hear a lot of people talking up the Clayton Hammocks and taping seams pretty standard.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    I set up the tarp this morning and it is supposed to rain on and off again all day. I am going to set up the hammock when I get home from work and sleep in the back yard overnight, it is supposed to rain all night. This will make for a good test on the quality of the tarp.

I will let you know.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Rain Test

Hello,

So I set up the tarp all day yesterday during off and on rain and there was no leaks when I got home from work. I slept in it last night in the back yard during some rain as well with no leaks. I am also going to sleep in the DD Frontline tonight using the same tarp. Hopefully I get a downpour to see how it holds up but so far so good.

Here is my video from last night,

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

3 Days of Rain Test

So I set up the tarp on Friday Morning and it rained on and off all day, I slept in it that night during the rain with no leaks. It also rained on Saturday and I slept it in Saturday night with no leaks. I just took it down today (Sunday) and there was still no sign of a leak. The hammock held up well during my testings. Perhaps you should contact Claytor and as them what they think if it is your first use and you experienced a bad leak. Also remember the rain may have soaked your webbing suspension causing your hammock to get wet.

You can check out some images here: http://wp.me/p39G85-4l

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have owned and used the Camo Diamond Fly for several years ( my first tarp ). There is no center top seam and the only seams on mine are on the sides close to the bottom ( which I sealed just in case). So even if those leak it should not cause you hammock to get wet.

This is not a tarp I would want to use in heavy rain due to its small size. While the tarp may be defective and leaked, I suspect that as stated already that you also got some water coming in via the hammock and or tarp suspention and condensation under the tarp, someting I have seen on other tarps.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast