Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Posts
    277
    Nice idea and work. I agree that the setup process of the tarp is the most time consuming and this would seem to make things easier. Do you have a pic of the whole thing put away in its storage bag?

  2. #12
    gargoyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middlebury, IN
    Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Posts
    6,173
    Images
    46
    I don't like it.
    Because it is not in pencil. From now on Mule, you are not allowed to post pics, drawings only.

    Either skins for the tarp or the hammock would help when packing up wet. Or both??

    Not that it ever rains when Mule camps.

  3. #13
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    9,853
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    ....the whoopies and loops to the cinch buckles end up at 25 inches each side and the whoopee tarp ridge line is 176 inches for doing this to a BB
    I love the simplicity of this setup, Mule!

    I don't see why you would need 25" extra width per side though. As always, a lot depends on the length of the tarp, of course.

    If you use dynaglide or amsteel for the tarp ridgeline, you wouldn't need any adjustability because it could take the strain. Simply splice a fixed eye on each end of the ridgeline and use your biners to attach to the cinch buckles. Then, attach the D-rings of your tarp to the tarp ridgeline with prussics. Hang the system such that your tarp ridgeline is taut. Again, amsteel or dynaglide would be required to take this load.

    Now you would have a system with "structure" which would allow you to hang the hammock off the cinch buckles with no need for adjustability either. Just straight dynaglide or amsteel with fixed eyes in all ends from hammock to cinch buckle. Because the cinch buckles are now a set distance apart, from the hammock's perspective, it's hanging the same every time.

    There is no stress on the tarp because its tightness is controlled be the prussics. If the tarp is 12" longer then the hammock at each end, add another 8" for the prussic, fixed eye and biner, the total tarp ridgeline should be about 140" on a WBBB with a 100" ridgeline.

    That's a 3' difference between 176" and 140" ridgeline. This system could hang between trees that are closer together and therefore with a much lower mounting height.

    See what a great idea this! You got me all worked up and doing math before my coffee in the morning!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  4. #14
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,342
    Post deleted!
    Last edited by Yoda; 09-03-2012 at 12:52.
    Formerly known as "Cranky Bear"....

    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

    It's always best if your an early riser!

    I like hiking as it's like exercise!

    My Blog

  5. #15
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,340
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Another option is to make (or buy) some snakeskins and attach them along the suspension below where the hammock attaches to the buckles. That way, you can draw them closed over the hammock while it's still hanging and have it more-or-less waterproof before wrapping it up in the still-wet tarp.

    It adds a small amount of weight, though, due to the difference in design from a snakeskin to a BB bag.
    That'a a good idea! Thanks, the skins could be longer by 50 inches too to include the suspension up to the cinch buckles. My tarp comes off by just opening a small biner on eah end, though, so I double that I keep it all stuffed together. Last time I put it up it all went into the BB stuff sack.
    SEMPER FIDELIS

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    TX/NC
    Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Posts
    498
    There are other threads doing similar. You can use alpine butterflies and biners/soft shackles to allow removing the hammock. I use a similar setup to allow hanging the tarp and then setting the rest up from under it.

    One of the older threads is
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32421
    Last edited by tbctx; 09-04-2012 at 09:24. Reason: URL didn't work

  7. #17
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,340
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Nice idea and work. I agree that the setup process of the tarp is the most time consuming and this would seem to make things easier. Do you have a pic of the whole thing put away in its storage bag?
    I haven't taken a picture but it all fit back into the BB stuff sack. (:
    SEMPER FIDELIS

  8. #18
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,340
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I don't like it.
    Because it is not in pencil. From now on Mule, you are not allowed to post pics, drawings only.

    Either skins for the tarp or the hammock would help when packing up wet. Or both??

    Not that it ever rains when Mule camps.
    What? Did you think any of these were photos? LOL
    SEMPER FIDELIS

  9. #19
    XTrekker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Posts
    2,141
    Images
    83
    I like the design. But....I have been on quite a few backpacking trips where it started to pour down on me and I needed to get my shelter setup. Just thinking to myself of how bad it would have sucked if I had to set up my hammock first in those heavy downpours, just to get my tarp up. That is why I removed the Rain-Fly from my HH and gave it, it's own suspension.

    Sometimes I may not want to set up my hammock, but just the tarp instead, so I can wait out the heavy part of the rain, then move along the trail again.

    I would bring a fall back plan just in-case. Of course, that will add the weight back on that you saved in attaching the tarp to the hammock in the first place.

    I guess just keep a sharp eye out on the weather.

  10. #20
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,340
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I like the design. But....I have been on quite a few backpacking trips where it started to pour down on me and I needed to get my shelter setup. Just thinking to myself of how bad it would have sucked if I had to set up my hammock first in those heavy downpours, just to get my tarp up. That is why I removed the Rain-Fly from my HH and gave it, it's own suspension.

    Sometimes I may not want to set up my hammock, but just the tarp instead, so I can wait out the heavy part of the rain, then move along the trail again.

    I would bring a fall back plan just in-case. Of course, that will add the weight back on that you saved in attaching the tarp to the hammock in the first place.

    I guess just keep a sharp eye out on the weather.
    XTreker, you are right about the tarp. There will be no way to set it up by itself, so just to set out a downpour would be both hammock and tarp. As I said, my tarp comes off with just small biners on each end so I won't carry it attached most of the time because it's easy to attach after the hammock is up. IF I think it's going to rain I will leave it attached.
    Thanks for the great comments. Everyone would have to understand your point.
    SEMPER FIDELIS

Similar Threads

  1. Easy portable child setup?
    By JBhang in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 17:24
  2. Easy Setup Concept
    By Sterwee in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 14:15
  3. Easy setup?
    By bmwrider in forum Eagles Nest Hammocks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 01:12
  4. Easy Tarp Pole Setup
    By the_lorax in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 20:34
  5. Easy Tarp Setup
    By cosmicmiami in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 06:11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •