DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images

Pink rip stop nylon on Ebay

Hey everyone,

I got my girlfriend one of the pink tablecloth hammocks and am now in the process of putting together a few more DIY items to go along with it (UQ, TQ, tarp, and possibly a DIY blackbird hammock). The only thing is I'm having a hard time finding any pink ripstop locally and online have only found high prices. Since I'm probably going to purchase around 20 yards I'm really trying to find a good price. Also I am going to get a smaller amount of white rip stop which the seller on eBay also carries. The best I've seen so far is this nylon from eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270845573100

The only thing that concerns me is that it claims to be waterproof which I don't really think would be suitable for making a hammock or TQ out of. If anyone has any experience with this seller or knows of somewhere else I could get a good price please let me know.

Thanks!

I've been looking for the same for my wife - If you are open to considering something besides ripstop - diygearsupply.com has pink crinkle taffeta - I know its not ripstop, but... maybe it will do the same job?

http://www.diygearsupply.com/product...ammock-blanks/
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I went through my DIY bookmarks, and found a few places with pink stuff.
    Some different options, as well as some ripstop.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons...ated%20Taffeta

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pink-Sup...item2a11b212d0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Purple-R...item5d2ec4e9fb

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    I know its not ripstop, but... maybe it will do the same job?
    IMO ripstop has no significant advantage over any other option of the same weight. The ripstop threads in the weave are meant to stop small tears from getting any larger in _non-weight bearing_ applications like jackets and other items. In a weight bearing application like a hammock they will not provide anything more than nominal protection against tears. In addition, I don't like the way ripstop feels on my skin. Too rough and abrasive. Give me taffeta any day.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    That is what my wife's hammock is made of and she loves it, but has yet to spend the night in it.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    DIY WBBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    I've been looking for the same for my wife - If you are open to considering something besides ripstop - diygearsupply.com has pink crinkle taffeta - I know its not ripstop, but... maybe it will do the same job?

http://www.diygearsupply.com/product...ammock-blanks/
    Yeah she currently has a hammock made from that material that I got from http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ . I am just looking for some nylon to make TQ, UQ, etc with. Also the crinkle taffeta is a good bit heavier than the nylon and since we hike together this will make a pretty big weight difference once she's carrying a tarp, UQ, TQ, and hammock all made from ripstop nylon as opposed to the crinkle taffeta.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    I went through my DIY bookmarks, and found a few places with pink stuff.
    Some different options, as well as some ripstop.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons...ated%20Taffeta

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pink-Sup...item2a11b212d0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Purple-R...item5d2ec4e9fb

PF
    Thanks much for the links! On the first one I'm really trying to find nylon instead of Taffeta like she currently has. For the second link I'm not really sure what supplex nylon is. Is it as strong as ripstop nylon? And on the 3rd one she's pretty dead set on it being pink and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get her out on the trails with me

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO ripstop has no significant advantage over any other option of the same weight. The ripstop threads in the weave are meant to stop small tears from getting any larger in _non-weight bearing_ applications like jackets and other items. In a weight bearing application like a hammock they will not provide anything more than nominal protection against tears. In addition, I don't like the way ripstop feels on my skin. Too rough and abrasive. Give me taffeta any day.
    My main concern with going with Taffeta over ripstop nylon is the weight. I like to keep her pack as light as possible since she's pretty small herself. Also I've had a lot of success making my own sil-nylon from lightweight ripstop nylon using the method from this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2011 but I'm unsure if this method would work on the Taffeta when I make her tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Daylight View Post
    That is what my wife's hammock is made of and she loves it, but has yet to spend the night in it.
    This is exactly the feedback I was looking for! I do have a few questions though. How breathable is the material? That is my main concern since eBay listing states that the fabric is supposedly waterproof. Most of the places we hike are pretty humid so I just do not think it would be comfortable if the material acted like a vapor layer and didn't allow enough breathability (is that even a word ) Any other details you have about this fabric and how its worked out for you would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. I'll be sure to post pictures of all the finished projects when I'm done. I've been meaning to put all the pics from my recent projects up but I'm waiting till I finish my UQ so I can put everything in one post.

Hammock
    DIY WBBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    After thinking about it I decided to crunch the numbers just to see how much of a difference the weight of the fabric would make. Going from the numbers I got from making my DIY blackbird hammock, Climashield TQ, Insultex UQ, and Cat Hex Tarp (plus carrying sacs for each) I used around 25 yards of fabric. This came off a 60+" roll so lets just round that to an even 40 square yards of fabric.

Now this number could be off by as much as 5 yards or so but its a close enough estimate to make a comparison. The Taffeta comes in at around 2.6 ounces/sq yard and the eBay ripstop nylon is 1.5 ounces/sq yard. So that brings the nylon total fabric weight to ~60 ounces and the Taffeta to ~105 ounces. For a grand total of 40 ounces between the two choices. That is 2.5 lbs!

Since we're hikers I really think it would be best to go with the ripstop nylon in this case. If only she liked camo this would be a lot easier since I still have a good bit left from my magnafabrics order!

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    I've seen and repaired hammocks with holes in the ripstop material (some in the butt area) that held fine and never ran beyond a few squares. I've seen similar holes in taffeta run end to end, rendering the hammock useless (and split completely). Ripstop might run in certain areas, but I've seen some pretty big holes not run and I know that is thanks to the material. When it comes to finishing the trip hanging or on the ground, I think ripstop is worth it.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustb2000 View Post
    After thinking about it I decided to crunch the numbers just to see how much of a difference the weight of the fabric would make. Going from the numbers I got from making my DIY blackbird hammock, Climashield TQ, Insultex UQ, and Cat Hex Tarp (plus carrying sacs for each) I used around 25 yards of fabric. This came off a 60+" roll so lets just round that to an even 40 square yards of fabric.

Now this number could be off by as much as 5 yards or so but its a close enough estimate to make a comparison. The Taffeta comes in at around 2.6 ounces/sq yard and the eBay ripstop nylon is 1.5 ounces/sq yard. So that brings the nylon total fabric weight to ~60 ounces and the Taffeta to ~105 ounces. For a grand total of 40 ounces between the two choices. That is 2.5 lbs!

Since we're hikers I really think it would be best to go with the ripstop nylon in this case. If only she liked camo this would be a lot easier since I still have a good bit left from my magnafabrics order!
    You are correct!
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    The fabric is kind of "crunchy", it sounds like a cereal bag, but that noise goes away when you lay in it even when you move around. I gets good and taught with very little stretch, it seems to be woven very tight. My Hancock Fabrics 1.9 seems to be woven less tight, it gives more. We haven't washed it, but i hope it will soften it and take some of the noise out. My wife's hammock was made from 10' of fabric and it stuffs down to the size of a 2qt sauce pot with 7' whoopies, 12' tree straps, and adj. ridgeline. My hammock has the same specs and it packs just smaller than my size 9.5 running shoe. Hope that helps a little.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast