Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

HH, The Nest, and snake skins

I have the HH Explorer Ultralight. Would the JRB Nest actually fit in the snake skin with the hammock and tarp? With ease? Which size skin? ankh

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    It will fit in size 4 snakeskins. There's nothing easy about it. The resulting sausage is tough to pack.

I strongly suggest switching over to BlackBishop's sack, or a generic stuff sack and using your snakeskins on the tarp, which ought to be stowed separately when wet anyway.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    It will fit in size 4 snakeskins. There's nothing easy about it. The resulting sausage is tough to pack.

I strongly suggest switching over to BlackBishop's sack, or a generic stuff sack and using your snakeskins on the tarp, which ought to be stowed separately when wet anyway.
    What sk6rs_dad said...We pack our uq separately... mounting and dissmounting a UQ takes 30-45 seconds.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I currently snakeskin the hammock and stuff the UQ in its bag. A question for you BBS users. Can you run through your procedure for setup and teardown (in inclement weather...makes it more exciting!). I am cautious about allowing my JRB quilt to come into contact with the ground and therefore store it separately from my hammock. If stuffed in a BBS, do you start from one end and work to the other while holding the BBS and unfurling the contents? That's my guess, but I'd like more detail. Thanks. Any pictures might help too.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - that's how I do it.

1 - Set up tarp
    2 - Straps/cords are already hanging out the end of the BB sack. Wrap one around the tree and adjust the strap so the BB sack is under the tarp.
    3 - Open the BB sack and start pulling the hammock out, while walking towards the other tree and keeping the hammock/underquilt bundle taut enough that nothing touches the ground. It doesn't really matter which end you unfurl from, but I find it easier to start with the strap/cord that's sticking out the drawstring opening of the BB sack.
    4 - As I get to the end of the hammock, adjust the strap/cord so to the correct length to the tree.
    5 - Step out from under the tarp and attach the strap to the tree.
    6 - Final centering using the ring buckles and it's all set.

Total time for the hammock part, when I'm hiking alone, is less than a minute. My BB sack has the hammock, top quilt, and whatever bottom insulation I'm using at the time. The only thing I really have to be careful about is making sure the hammock stays closed so the top quilt doesn't fall out as I pull the bundle out of the BB sack.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Ah, very nice. Just when I thought I couldn't be happier with my set up....something new to consider!!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For the "under a minute" time, it's important to note that I use a biner on each tree hugger. Rather than wrapping the hugger around the tree and running the free end thru the loop, I just wrap the hugger around and clip the biner. That saves quite a bit of hassle and maybe a minute or so during setup. BUT...it makes it much easier to set up in the rain without having to set anything on the ground while I thread the hugger. Just a convenience thing. I used to never carry biners b/c I was cutting weight...now I carry them...ask me again next week, who knows?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    For the "under a minute" time, it's important to note that I use a biner on each tree hugger. Rather than wrapping the hugger around the tree and running the free end thru the loop, I just wrap the hugger around and clip the biner. That saves quite a bit of hassle and maybe a minute or so during setup. BUT...it makes it much easier to set up in the rain without having to set anything on the ground while I thread the hugger. Just a convenience thing. I used to never carry biners b/c I was cutting weight...now I carry them...ask me again next week, who knows?
    You got me started using biners (0.8 oz Trek Lights), the convenience is worth the slight weight, not to mention saving wear and tear on tree huggers (this is especially true if you hang really tight). Biners and TeeDee's SMC ring tied into the Hennessy rope with a clove hitch works for me.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I purchased a set of #4 SS for the purpose of maybe storing the ULBP, SS undercover and Nest in one package. One test attempt and I quit. Too tight a package. Just completed sewing couple modified BB Sack. Double cord locked ends. The stock of silnylon limited the stuffed dimensions to 5" x 19". I think it's going to be a little tight.

After experimenting around with rings & Tri-glides I've more or less (at least today) decided to go back to the biner (campnano @23gm) method as JustJeff outlined, but just use a slipped bunting hitch at the biner. Quick, simple and no extra parts. Loose or break a biner no big deal. Just have to thread the line through the tree hugger loops.

Starting to collect lot's of "lets try it" stuff.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    never would i subject my precious down to such abuse!!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast