Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    One possible change to the set-up could be the use of a PeaPod, which could eliminate the need for a TQ and UQ, add in a space blanket or a pad like the thin 1/8" evazote pad from GossamerGear (http://gossamergear.com/sleeping.html)!

The POD could be DIY'd to the exact size/spec you need.
    Great suggestions! I'll add them to the list of possible experiments. It so happens I have another hooded sleeping bag that could be modified into a peapod.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    The hammock occupant uses only a specific amount of space. If you can optimize the comfort of that 2' by 6' sweet spot, the rest of the hammock is unnecessary. On larger hammocks, the unoccupied fabric is necessary to comfortably suspend the occupant in the sweet spot.

That optimizing has been done with hammock chairs. They use only the necessary fabric with the rest of the comfort in the suspension. Figure out how to do that with sleeping hammocks.

The hammock chair is suspended from above. Could the sides of a narrow fabric rectangle be suspended on taut parallel ropes from each side of wide trees. Use two spreader bars like a bridge hammock to reduce the shoulder squeeze.
    -----------l--------l--------
    tree``````lO<--<` l```tree

Second design: Turn the occupant perpendicular to the suspension, like laying in a 90" wide home hammock. Keep six or seven feet of that width, but shorten the length of the hammock fabric to 30". It would look like a bridge hammock with the spreader bars at 90* to the suspension. Substitute three or four cords for the spreader bars. Instead of shoulder squeeze, there would be head and foot squeeze.

Someday, there will be flexible plastic sheets (like kids' snow sleds) with specific flex characteristics for hammock bodies. Then we will go back to using open cell foam insulation just like backpackers in the 1960s.

For adventure racing, investigate sleeping in identical small hammocks of different fabric strengths to determine which one is comfortable. Note that when HH furnished beta model Adv. Racer hammocks to some racing testers (overseas where liabililty is less), the hammocks were only guaranteed for the length of the race. See if you can sleep safely in one yard of thru-hiker.com M90 or M50 for a couple of nights, expecting to make a new one for the next race. May as well try cuben fabric too.
    Last edited by heyyou; 09-16-2012 at 15:15. Reason: had a second thought, that doesn't happen very often

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ &amp; SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Nothing whatever wrong with DIY; I didn't imply that, nor that these commercial hammocks satisfy your desire to be UL. You hardly have to have the interest and capacity to sew, even by hand, to make a hammock, it just takes DIY spirit, and I applaud your going against a grain of greater size. (If you're sleeping alone, is a single-size bed hardship? No.)

I pointed these commercial hammocks out only because they were not large, and some not inexpensive. Not particularly light, the makers could have found other ways to reduce weight than to keep size small.

I am about to pack a Nano 7 for the day. Mine is just over 8' (x 4'), and no more complex, lighter, or better than what you and others DIY.
    DemostiX, I certainly took no offense at your remarks. I appreciate you pointing out some commercial models and intend to research them as the opportunity arises. Thanks again!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ &amp; SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    The hammock occupant uses only a specific amount of space. If you can optimize the comfort of that 2' by 6' sweet spot, the rest of the hammock is unnecessary. On larger hammocks, the unoccupied fabric is necessary to comfortably suspend the occupant in the sweet spot.

That optimizing has been done with hammock chairs. They use only the necessary fabric with the rest of the comfort in the suspension. Figure out how to do that with sleeping hammocks.

The hammock chair is suspended from above. Could the sides of a narrow fabric rectangle be suspended on taut parallel ropes from each side of wide trees. Use two spreader bars like a bridge hammock to reduce the shoulder squeeze.
    tree``````lO<--<` l```tree

Second design: Turn the occupant perpendicular to the suspension, like laying in a 90" wide home hammock. Keep six or seven feet of that width, but shorten the length of the hammock fabric to 30". It would look like a bridge hammock with the spreader bars at 90* to the suspension. Substitute three or four cords for the spreader bars. Instead of shoulder squeeze, there would be head and foot squeeze.

Someday, there will be flexible plastic sheets (like kids' snow sleds) with specific flex characteristics for hammock bodies. Then we will go back to using open cell foam insulation just like backpackers in the 1960s.

For adventure racing, investigate sleeping in identical small hammocks of different fabric strengths to determine which one is comfortable. Note that when HH furnished beta model Adv. Racer hammocks to some racing testers (overseas where liabililty is less), the hammocks were only guaranteed for the length of the race. See if you can sleep safely in one yard of thru-hiker.com M90 or M50 for a couple of nights, expecting to make a new one for the next race. May as well try cuben fabric too.
    Heyyou: Wow! Thanks for all the cool ideas and observations. One of the things I like about the forums is how a simple conversation can spark a rampage of ideas.

I think I may have mislead folks with my reference to a hammock chair. The style I was talking about isn't the type that uses two bars to suspend the seat from, but the DIY type that is really just a miniature gathered-end hammock, also known as a gear hammock. I find these things are greats for trailside rests and naps.

Your idea of using ropes around wide trees is intriguing, but I'm not sure that I'd want to develop a system that relied on having two wide trees available. What would you do if there was only one wide tree or your camp area was a stand of younger trees? Still, I think there is something there worth mulling.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123