Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by palameto View Post
    I was out hiking and tried to find that pond today near FS211A and failed miserably. I mean, I didn't try that hard - I walked off into the woods from the LLCL trail about where I thought it should be and then turned back north toward the road. Not only did I not find it, I missed the trail walking back down the road and walked too far east til the road starts to curve south. Anyway, I made it back okay.

If I am able to make it on this trip I will be very interested to see this mysterious secret pond!

It is there....

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    See, whatcha gotta do is hike a mile or so south of where the LLC trail crosses FS211A, then turn around and hike back. Then hike a couple hundred yards west on FS211A, then turn around and come back. Then hike a couple hundred yards east on FS211A, stop and talk about it for a while, then you bushwhack south right to it.

That's how Weaseal and I found it.

Easy Peezy.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Sarge and Weaseal are two guys that I know who can turn a 300 yard hike into 12 miles!
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Sarge and Weaseal are two guys that I know who can turn a 300 yard hike into 12 miles!
    And you're about to go on a hike with us that we say is 16 miles-------

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I may need to start my cardio training now then

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    And you're about to go on a hike with us that we say is 16 miles-------
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Got some bad news.

When SpaceWeaseal and I first started talking about this, we checked the Trail Guide as we knew that during Deer Season, camping is restricted to only a few sites within the National Forest. The Guide said that this restriction was only during gun season, which begins November 3rd.

Last nite, there was a posting on the LSHT Yahoo Group with a map showing those locations and advising that the restrictions were from 15 September to 1 February. I asked the question to the Group as to whther this was bad information and got no satsifactory answer. I just got off the phone with Sam Houston National Forest and they informed me that they have started a new policy to have the closures on the same dates every year rather than using the start of deer season, which changes wevery year. The 15 September date is indeed valid. We will not be allowed to camp where we have planned.

The question now becomes whther we want to still go out, and camp in one of the designated Hunter Camps. The nearest to where we were planning is at Kelly's Pond.:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5382988.pdf

But near as I can tell, that camping area and associated trails are still closed:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/...telprdb5361867

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    The question now becomes whther we want to still go out, and camp in one of the designated Hunter Camps. The nearest to where we were planning is at Kelly's Pond.:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5382988.pdf

But near as I can tell, that camping area and associated trails are still closed:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/...telprdb5361867

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Kent, I thought the same as you did originally. I also got a message from LSHT and it indicated that Kelly Pond is closed due to dead trees that have not been cut yet.

Since I am not one of the folks who have committed I won't vote on the go v no go but I am watching this closely so that if you do go and I can join in I'm up to speed.

There are a few state parks/SNA's where backpacking can take place free from hunters, so there are some options should you like to go ahead with the outing.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Well I'm still in....
    We can figure something out for that area or even do it somewhere else.

This says all trails west of 149 are open but I don't know about any designated camp sites.
    This includes the areas we where in last time.
    All the trails east of 149 are closed.
    http://lonestartrail.org/closure.html
    Last edited by spaceweaseal; 09-10-2012 at 18:30.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    This says all trails west of 149 are open but I don't know about any designated camp sites.
    This includes the areas we where in last time.
    All the trails east of 149 are closed.
    http://lonestartrail.org/closure.html
    Yep, we can hike out there all we want. We just can't camp anywhere in there.

We can't hike or camp anywhere east of FM149. Which is where the closest camp site is.

See, according the the gummint, we can hike Section 1, but we have to camp at Kelly Pond in Section 2, except we can't camp at Kelly Pond because Section 2 is closed. The other available site is Stubblefield Lake, whih is open for camping, but we can't hike anywhere out of there as all the trails are closed. Essentially, we'd have to camp 20 miles from where we want to hike, shuttle in and station vehicles at the start and stop points and drive back to the campsite. And if Kelly is closed, the allllllllllll the hunters who want to hunt in Sections 1 & 2 will be at Stubblefield. But they can't hunt in Section 2 beause its closed---whcih means they will likely all be in Section 1. The good news is that they will all be bow hunters, FWIW.

Kent, I thought the same as you did originally. I also got a message from LSHT and it indicated that Kelly Pond is closed due to dead trees that have not been cut yet.

Since I am not one of the folks who have committed I won't vote on the go v no go but I am watching this closely so that if you do go and I can join in I'm up to speed.

There are a few state parks/SNA's where backpacking can take place free from hunters, so there are some options should you like to go ahead with the outing.
    That's what I was thinking. The problem is that we can't camp because of the hunting, so lets see if we can find someplace with a long-ish trail, or trail system that can accomodate our goal of a long hike, with a primtive camp, and a hike out.

The only thing that comes right to mind is Brazos Bend, but the tree situation there is sub-optimal and the only camping allowed is in developed sites. It does have a nice trail system that an be linked together to get a long hike out of it.

But I was hoping for something north-ish of R'berg that would be equally inconvenient for everybody .

So who knows of a State Park or Natural Area roughly half way between DFW and Houston that has a good trail system and allows primitive camping on the trail?

Or

One that has a good trail system with primitive sites that don't suck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast