DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

How did you convert the wife

So since I started hammocking over a year ago, my wife, who loves me to death, swore against them day after day of listening to me try and talk about them to her. She would never listen (more than a few seconds) and worst of all she sometimes said things like ''Are we REALLY gonna talk about those darned hammocks again?!''

UNTIL TODAY.....

We recently rearranged our bedrooms in our ''little place we call home''. I am now in my sons bedroom (15 month old who sleeps in the bed with my wife). all that is in the room is my sons crib, and my TD stand with my hammock hung up. So, she put my son down in his crib for a nap today, and decided she would relax in my hammock. This is something she has never ever done before.

I had to beg her to get in my new BIAS hammock when I did the first hang on it just a few weeks ago. She always thought she would get motion sickness if she tried to sleep in it.

Long story short, she fell asleep (I'm guessing dang near instantly) and had a wonderful nap till the phone rang. When she admitted this to me this afternoon she added on that it is going to become one of her favorite things to do.

The only thing that really sucks is that i just forked over about $50 for a t**t so I could get her to go camping with me in the near future...I might be selling it soon (any takers??)

I think this could be the start of a wonderful relationship between a man's hammock and a lady.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Great and interesting story and congrats on new convert.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Well she's not a total convert, but we're getting closer...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Congrats, now make sure you help her with everything when you go on a hang. Make it enjoyable and she will continue to hang with you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Ah, good things happen to people who hammock.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    Congrats, now make sure you help her with everything when you go on a hang. Make it enjoyable and she will continue to hang with you.
    I will definitely do my best baja, as I do with anything around her, not to worry.

Old4hats I want to use that line in my signature, it's a goody.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Heh. Haven't managed to convert her, and I don't think I will. She feels claustrophobic in the hammock, so...

I love her, but I think that backcountry hiking and camping is going to continue to be a "FLRider & Friends" activity rather than a "FLRider & Mrs. FLRider" one. Sad, but we have enough other things that we enjoy together.

And, besides, this means that we have at least a couple of weekends apart during the year; that can be just as, if not more, important as spending weekends together. Sometimes, folks just have to be alone, even from those that they love, to get their heads straight.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Well too bad your wife gets claustrophobic in a hammock, but you are right, it is important to spend time together. Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies &amp; toggles
    Images
    I haven't.

The Missus considers hammocks frivolous and thought this was just a phase I was going through. Two years later she has come to the realization that this is no phase, but still considers them frivolous.

I have a long-term plan: part of her love of tents is that she has all the young'uns corralled and safe--I get this... we have some adventurous-but-foolish little ones that would walk away from a campsite and never find their way back. However, as they get old enough to know better, they get hammocks. My two cub scouts already have theirs, their two sisters will receive hammocks for their birthdays, which leaves two younger brothers who don't have enough common sense to be trusted to sleep without walls. Little baby sister hasn't arrived yet (although, for a time, it looked like it might occur yesterday (a baby on Labor Day--how cool would that have been?), so it will be at least another 5 or 6 years for the plan to fully take effect.

EVENTUALLY there will be nobody in that tent with the Missus, and then she'll poke her head out of that stuffy nylon hole, feel the breeze and the sunlight on her face, and find a hammock right next to her family all hung up and waiting for her.

I am the quintessential 'bigger man,' so I won't say, "I told you so"... but it will definitely be implied.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    I don't believe I'm reading myself write this but don't sell the tent. Three reasons:
    1. You'll have some gear to intice your ground dweller friends to go camping with you. Then they'll see your hammock and say, "Hey, whadda you got there? You're gonna sleep in that?!"
    2. Mrs. Fish will have some private space to nurse or change or whatever so she'll be happier. "When momma's happy, everyone's happy..."
    3. You'll have a clean place to drop your gear and all of Fish, Jr's gear so you'll be happy too.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast