1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps

Suspension recommendation for big guys?

Hey there - I tried out the Walmart Equip last weekend and note first that whatever they supplied stretches too much...

That said, what can I change out to that won't stretch so much that I end up laying on the ground in the morning?

Is the problem that I just didn't hang high enough to start with? Do all systems sag or stretch throughout the night?

BTW - I'm 6'2" & 240#...

Thanks for any input and all recommendations!

Dennis

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly Camo
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ w/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am 6' @ 250. I hang in a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro. With 7/64 Amsteel whoopies/Toggle and Treestraps. I tend to set my hammock a little higher than most. About 26 inches and I have no problems.
    "Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBLOCK View Post
    Hey there - I tried out the Walmart Equip last weekend and note first that whatever they supplied stretches too much...

That said, what can I change out to that won't stretch so much that I end up laying on the ground in the morning?

Is the problem that I just didn't hang high enough to start with? Do all systems sag or stretch throughout the night?

BTW - I'm 6'2" & 240#...

Thanks for any input and all recommendations!

Dennis
    It seems that Nylon webbing (straps) stretches. Poly webbing does not stretch but a wee bit. Amsteel does not stretch noticeably but paracord and (nylon) climbing rope do. And they both stretch alot when wet, raining or humid.

When i use nylon straps i can start out 18" off the ground, then end up on the ground after a few hours (especially if it rains). Not so with poly straps or Eno Atlas Straps or Kammock straps and amsteel whoopies. For me- getting rid of all nylon in the suspension fixed that. Hope this helps!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I use 1/8" amsteel, have used 7/64" without a problem, but the last set I did was 1/8", combined with tree straps and Dutch buckles. I am 304 as of this morning, and hope to be less than that soon, but have never been less and 250 and had no problems with my suspension.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    OK - the general opinion seems to be poly webbing or amsteel for us bigger guys. I'm going to try and make myself a set of amsteel whoopie slings as there's plenty of how to available.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    You can also use webbing from ratchet tie down straps. They will most likely be polyester or polypropylene as that application has the same problem with stretching.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    +1 on switching out your suspension for amsteel. Make sure your using good tree straps too. For example, the Eno tree straps stretch all to be heck.

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I use ratchet straps without the metal hardware (cut the hooks and toss the ratchet in the bucket with all the rest), and 1/8 amsteel. I like the ratchet straps because they don't stretch very much and the loops are already sewn in. I found it very easy to remove the hook by cutting where it bends back to complete the circle. They are always coated in plastic and by removing the plastic in the joint you can slip the webbing out of the gap. Some of the straps are the cinch type, where you pull the webbing through the buckle and it grabs it. These types have loops on both ends and after removing the hook you can attach your amsteel by larks head knot and completely eliminate all hardware.

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I use this ( http://www.rei.com/product/783605/1-...ubular-webbing) as my tree straps. Minimal if any stretch and very tough. I tie an overhand loop knot in one end and bring the tail of the other end back through to secure it to the tree. Then I use a toggle and marlin spike hitch. I have found that more webbing (longer amounts) = greater stretch. So if you keep your straps short and stretch out your whoopies, you will be minimizing stretch and bounce.
    Be careful not to buy thinner, nylon straps. Also be aware that not all straps are the same. A friend proudly displayed his new ENO double nest / slap straps for me at work and was surprised to see how trampoline like it was. I brought my set up in with climbing straps and amsteel whoopies and showed him how firm a suspension can be.
    It is all good though. It depends what you like, what you can afford, and what you have available.
    -sarge

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    I use this ( http://www.rei.com/product/783605/1-...ubular-webbing) as my tree straps. Minimal if any stretch and very tough. I tie an overhand loop knot in one end and bring the tail of the other end back through to secure it to the tree. Then I use a toggle and marlin spike hitch. I have found that more webbing (longer amounts) = greater stretch. So if you keep your straps short and stretch out your whoopies, you will be minimizing stretch and bounce.
    Be careful not to buy thinner, nylon straps. Also be aware that not all straps are the same. A friend proudly displayed his new ENO double nest / slap straps for me at work and was surprised to see how trampoline like it was. I brought my set up in with climbing straps and amsteel whoopies and showed him how firm a suspension can be.
    It is all good though. It depends what you like, what you can afford, and what you have available.
    -sarge
    YEP! That Mil-Spec works and doesn't stretch noticeably - an old rock-climbing friend turned me on to this exact strap material (been using it ever since) and it works! Tie a water-knot into one end or sew a loop and you're done. Lotsa colors too
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast