Tarp
    Zpacks cuben asym
    Insulation
    EE TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images

DIY cuben fiber UQ lofting question

I’m about to start a DIY UQ project. It’s going to be cuben fiber and filled with down. My initial thought was to put an M90 covered hole near the end of each baffle to allow lofting/packing, since the cuben isn’t breathable at all. Then I started looking at the construction of the EnLIGHTened Equipment Epiphany quilt. It’s got an “Inflation tube” at the foot. That makes me wonder if I should do the same. One of the benefits, I hear, is that you can control loft, thereby making it work in a much wider temperature range.

Thoughts? Has anyone used any insulation with this "Inflation tube" concept?
    Ryan

With our powers combined... we should be able to get these hammocks out of the dirt.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I used a 6" wide strip of ripstop across the tubes of my "Little Gray Cloud" cuben hammock, and it seemed to allow air in and out pretty well. I should have put it at one end instead of across the middle of the hammock, because packing it puts a strain on the construction. I need to roll both ends toward the ripstop in the middle to avoid trapping air and putting stress on the taped baffles and edges. I sewed the ripstop to the cuben, and then put 1/2" wide DIY cuben tape over the seams on the cuben side, which reinforced the area that had stitching holes.

As I said, this was a down-filled insulated cuben hammock, but I found that the stresses of hanging in it were likely to cause failures, so I cut off the end strings and turned it into an underquilt. The pleats formed at the ends showed me how to modify it so it fits very well under a 1.5 oz. ripstop hammock. However, it has taken some experimentation to learn how to adjust my top layers to avoid problems with condensation. As it is, it works well in a fairly narrow range of temperatures and it's very light, but I don't think cuben is well suited to hammocks and underquilts.

Good luck with your project. How do you intend to fasten the baffles? Feel free to ask questions. Here's a link to the thread. There's a video in post 5. See post 33 for details.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    WV showed me the hammock with quilt and I even laid in it while he did some adjusting. IMO he's would be the man to get tried methods or ideas on what you are attempting. Ask him if you are in doubt on any particulars as he may have tried it already or could at least give a solid opinion on it.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    the one I'm sleeping in
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben asym
    Insulation
    EE TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    @WV - I'm using .33 oz cuban for the baffels, so there will be some tape involved in connecting them. I need to check carefully to see if there will be any peeling forces. If I can avoid that, great. Otherwise, I'll have to sew and tape.

Tips?

I looked at your original thread... nice. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Slick; 09-18-2012 at 11:35.
    Ryan

With our powers combined... we should be able to get these hammocks out of the dirt.

• + New Posts