Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Mod??

Hammock
    ENO SN (so far!)
    Suspension
    Atlas straps

First Mod??

So overwhelming here!

Trying to decide what my first upgrade should be. Im thinking an ARL, just so i can get a good sag to start with then move to suspension upgrade maybe. Current: stock Eno 'biners and atlas straps, which i rather like for shear ease of use, but it seems like the majority of first upgrades is suspension.

if I add a RL, where/what is a good starting point?

no need to repeat any percentages of lengths here, im interested in types of cord and ways to affix to hammock

thanks!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I expect to receive an Amsteel ARL in the mail today from whoopieslings.com. With it are two carabiners, which will attach to the fixed loop end of whoopie slings coming down from the tree straps. I'll clip ARL, hammock, and undergear to said carabiners, making additions and substractions of the same relatively easy to do.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Dynaglide, zing-it, and high test lb spear fishing line can be used to make Whoopie arls. On my bias I have a zingit fixed at the normal percentage, on my DIY I have a dynaglide adjustable whoopie. If you don't want to splice, prussick knots and kleimheist knots work well in this application as well.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    My RL is zing-it. It's just larks headed to both ends of my hammock.

On a side note, I didn't see what the big deal with whoopies was.....until I put them on. They are nice
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HootHoot View Post
    So overwhelming here!

Trying to decide what my first upgrade should be. Im thinking an ARL, just so i can get a good sag to start with then move to suspension upgrade maybe. Current: stock Eno 'biners and atlas straps, which i rather like for shear ease of use, but it seems like the majority of first upgrades is suspension.

if I add a RL, where/what is a good starting point?

no need to repeat any percentages of lengths here, im interested in types of cord and ways to affix to hammock

thanks!
    I use an amsteel whoopie as an adjustable ridgeline too - cause i had a spare one (lighter cord is fine of course - even spectra 725).

May want to consider putting a biner or a dutchbiner onto one end - so you can unclip it for lounging once in awhile. I Larkshead the other end.

hope that helps!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I use an amsteel whoopie as an adjustable ridgeline too - cause i had a spare one (lighter cord is fine of course - even spectra 725).

May want to consider putting a biner or a dutchbiner onto one end - so you can unclip it for lounging once in awhile. I Larkshead the other end.

hope that helps!
    +1 on the biner for the adjustable end of an ARL and larksheading the other end.

Zing It makes a good RL. For a fixed RL, larkshead the hammock's channel loops through the eye of the RL. 83 percent ridgeline to hammock length is very comfortable to me. And by 83 percent, I mean 80-85 percent. I can't tell much difference between 81 and 84 percent on an 11 foot hammock.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    ENO SN (so far!)
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post

hope that helps!

This is exactly what I've been having in mind, with the dutchware that is.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, getting the answers i was looking for!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Trying to decide what my first upgrade should be.
    I say...

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Do the SRL and Whoopies at the same time. You know you're going to do them anyway and you can justify the cost by the shipping you will save by buying both at the same time.

Better yet, buy the raw materials and learn how to make them. The whoopies are really easy (see here and here), working with Zing-it! takes a bit more patience because of it's smaller size but still not difficult.
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

Hammock
    ENO SN (so far!)
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDog View Post
    ... you can justify the cost by the shipping you will save by buying both at the same time.
    I use this line with wife like once a week to explain why i order stuff online

Right now Im looking to see where i can get an ARL and dutch biners so i don't have to place 2 separate orders

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Right now Im looking to see where i can get an ARL and dutch biners so i don't have to place 2 separate orders
    Sorry to burst your bubble but as far as I know, the only place you can get Dutch Biners is here and Dutch doesn't sell ARL's. You might try pm'ing him to see if he would be willing to make up an ARL. But beware that anything he makes will be super trick and super light. I'm thinking Unobtanium maybe...
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast