Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy A-sym/Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy

Expedition or Explorer Deluxe?

Pretty much decided on a Hennessy for my occasional hammock. As of now I'm not going to be doing much backpacking trips so no weight weenie here. Just weekend car camps and maybe some night in the back yard. When my boy gets a little older and starts scouts that might change and I'll decide if I need to nock off some pack weight. But until then I would like one of these two hammocks. (or your recommendations) I like how it's pretty much an all in one unit.
    Now for my question. I'm 5'8" and 150lbs. Not planning on getting heavier but you never know. Would it be worth my extra $$$ to jump up to the Explorer Deluxe? I've heard bigger is normally more comfortable. Does that hold true for these as well? The Expedition says it's good for people up to 6'0". Obviously the weight limits shouldn't be any issue. Having a hard time deciding by myself so I'm seeing if you guys have some similar experiences and have tried both. If so, which do you prefer? I am aware it's going to have to come down to my preference but any help narrowing it down would help.
    Things like this one is better for a UQ or this one is better for this reason. (enter hex tarp comments here)
    This forum is awesome for it's wealth on knowledge. Let me know guys. (or ladies)

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip,ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    RB,WS, toggles
    I am 5'10", 175 lbs. The Expedition is large enough for me to stay comfortable. I would use the extra money to upgade or replace the tarp or to get one of the lighter options if you anticipate the weight being a problem in the future.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I have an Explorer, and my nephew has the Expedition. I am 5'8" also. The Expedition is fine, but I sure like the extra length on my Explorer. It lets me hang my shoes at one end in the hammock, and I have room for a hanging bag at the other end to store stuff in while it is deployed. Even with those things at both ends my head and feet never rub up against anything and I actually still have room to hang things at the ends. I love it.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Meadiocre,

Just my two cents but I think for comfort, since you are mostly car camping anyway, the explorer deluxe, in my opinion, would better suit you. The increased size just makes the lay nicer. The reason being when I car camp I have a tendency to bring more stuff, more stuff with me means I have more stuff in the hammock at night, which means more space in the hammock is a good thing.

I have a safari classic entry without net, an explorer deluxe classic entry, an expedition zip and a classic expedition here at the house for comparison. As size goes up so does overall comfort. That doesn't mean comfort is bad in any of them it simply means the lay is a bit flater with less knee pressure as the size gets bigger. The Safari is so big I find it hard to hang at times and I aslo find I don't get such a big increase in comfort that I would carry it instead of my Explorer. My son ThreeD loves his expedition but we will have to replace it with something else as he continues to grow. We won't replace it because it won't work but, instead, because of slightly decreased comfort and a noticeable decrease in space inside that becomes more and more necessary as temperatures go down.

UQ's should not be a problem as they are available for almost all types/sizes of hammocks. We have used foam pads inside the hammock, the HH super shelter system, and now have "Underground Quilts" Zeppelin UQ that just arrived three days ago. We have had no problems using the HHSS but I already see we will love the UQ's every bit as much. (By the way Paul at UGQ was fantastic to work with for our UQ's) You can look at this post for some current thoughts/information on the HHSS if you would like.

I would think the Explorer would work long term for you. Are there better hammocks out there for the money, I don't know. I can guarantee you I would love to try them all to find out. In fact I am asking the wife for a PapaSmurf Dangerbird 72 for christmas and the Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock sure tempts me a lot. But none of those come with tarps or snake skins and so end up being a larger starting investment. The BIAS (Butt In A Sling) hammocks also look cool and very light and then there is Warbonnet etc...............

We personally went with HH due to the idea of a one stop complete easy to purchase and use system with integrated bug screen that would not break the bank and we have not been sorry. We are so much more comfortable then in the tents and absolutely love them.

Oh by the way since you are car camping get the free upgrade to the Hex Tarp with Hennessy. You will not be sorry you did.

Huauqui

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I own a HH Explorer Deluxe with the stock asym tarp and SuperShelter. It's a great setup for the Winter months and I still drag it out on some Boy Scout campouts.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I have the expedition with a 2qzq mod 4, and think that I would be more comfortable in the explorer. I am 5' 10" and 170. When the netting is unzipped and pulled off, there is more comfort in the exped, but when I have the netting zipped on, I feel like I am a little constricted and can't lay as diagonal as I really need to in order to be fully comfortable for lounging. When sleeping, I lay on my side and tend to bend my legs some and can get comfortable in the expedition. Bottom line is that if I had to do it over, I'd probably get the explorer.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy A-sym/Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Great info!!! Banjoman, with your mod have you tried stuffing it into snake skins? I was thinking I would most likely have this mod done but wasn't sure if the added zippers and pocket would allow the snake skins to work.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'm 6' about 175. I got an expedition for both of my kids and for me an explorer UL (I do mostly backpacking). I slept the other night in one of the expeditions and it was OK. I definitely appreciated the extra space when I crawled back into my explorer.

Also, the explorer (as least the UL model) has a seamless silnylon fly. I ended up recycling that onto one of the kids expedition for a bit more coverage and weight savings.

A few of the parents in my son's pack have asked me about getting the smaller scout/cub models. I'd recommend going with nothing smaller than the expedition even for kids. They'll outgrow those smaller hammocks way before they wear them out. If you get one as a freebie from one of their holiday sales that one thing but I wouldn't buy one to specifically "fit" a smaller hanger.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadiocre View Post
    Great info!!! Banjoman, with your mod have you tried stuffing it into snake skins? I was thinking I would most likely have this mod done but wasn't sure if the added zippers and pocket would allow the snake skins to work.
    The zipper mod doesn't affect how it fits in the snake skins. Both 2Q's HH's have mod#4's and he uses the HH snake skins without any problems. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee