Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer

severe head ache

Everytime I think I get close to having a handle on some of the information that is available here, I find out how little I know and then I get completely lost again.

Amstel vs Dyneema
    Splice vs Knots
    Tablecloth vs raw fabric
    Names and terms, techniques, suspension methods, etc...it can get overwhelming really fast, repeatedly. I just read about someone arguing about the weight difference between between 7/64 and 1/8 line...really? 1/64 difference, really? Wow...

I gotta go chill for a bit. This has given me a head ache.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Not sure how to really respond to this, but I hope you feel better.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You will soon join the dark side, and will have an opinion on 7/64 versus 1/8 Amsteel versus Dynaglide. I never thought I'd have a Dynaglide suspension, but now I do (though I still like 7/64 Amsteel). I prefer 1/8" Amsteel for soft shackles (easier to open) and continuous loops.

And I hope you don't end up being on the knots side of the "splice vs. knots" discussion. Hang with the cool kids and splice your brains out!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Everytime I think I get close to having a handle on some of the information that is available here, I find out how little I know and then I get completely lost again.

Amstel vs Dyneema
    Splice vs Knots
    Tablecloth vs raw fabric
    Names and terms, techniques, suspension methods, etc...it can get overwhelming really fast, repeatedly. I just read about someone arguing about the weight difference between between 7/64 and 1/8 line...really? 1/64 difference, really? Wow...

I gotta go chill for a bit. This has given me a head ache.
    Just remember... Hang Your Own Hang! HYOH

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    amsteel is the same as dyneema so that helps a little

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The headache may have something to do with what you list as your insulation.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Let it be fun ))))))) No stress........
    One wee thing at a time then to the woods.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Headaches can come from dehydration, so drink some WATER! Save the tequila for the next time you want a headache... <wink>.

Seriously, give yourself time to read, enjoy, take notes, read some more, get friendly with the search engine here, and resolve yourself to the likely fact that you won't have just one hammock. It took me about 2 commercial and 4 DIYs to find my 'perfect sleeper', and enjoyed the search in every step. You're in great company here.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    No need to let it stress you out man, I started out with a ENO DN and a set of ratcheting tow straps, and you what? it worked just fine until I figured out a little more and changed to tree straps and whoopie slings.

Any new hobby takes time to learn all the little tricks, if you know it all on the first day... what's the point.
    "Think Outside the Tent"

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Hammocks are like boats. There is many different types hammock just like boats. An each one has its own type of suspension much like each boat has its own type of propulsion; some use whoopies some use straps, some use sails some use engines. Some hammocks are used to relax in the back yard much like some boats are used to relax at the local lake. Some hammocks are used on long distance journeys much like a sail boat traveling around the world. Some hammocks are used for it's functionality much like a tug boat is used for its functionality.

There is many types of hammocks and thousands of different types of suspensions an accessories. If one were to try to dive into boating you would be faced with a similar multitude of options as you would with hammocks. If you were to think about buying a boat, you would first consider what purpose you would be using the boat for and various features you would like it to have. I would use the same principle with hammocks.

First, figure out what size of hammock will be right for your height and weight. This part is pretty important, as it will determine whether or not you have an enjoyable experience with your hammock or an uncomfortable one.
    Next, think about the types of climates you might be encountering on a typical outing. This will let you know whether or not you will need added insulation or not. There are many options for this, but lets look at some basic ones. An Under-Quilt (UQ) is needed for when temps drop below 60* typically.

There are many types of UQs. Some are synthetic some are made from natural materials like Goose Down. These Down UQs can be quite expensive but weight very little compared to synthetics, so this makes them ideal for backpacking trips. The drawback to Down UQs is they are susceptible to moisture, as they will loose their R-Value(Insulation Effectiveness) if they get wet vs synthetic UQs typically will not.

Top Quilts(TQ) are much the same as UQs but are used as a blanket inside the hammock vs the UQ which hangs on the outside, underneath the hammock. Typically a TQ will look like a normal blanket but at the end of the blanket, it will be shaped into a foot-box so it surrounds your feet.

For TQ and UQs there are different temp ratings and this is usually based off of the 'Loft' or thickness of the 'baffles' (fabric tubes).

Ok for fabric there is many types of materials you can choose from that will all have different qualities. Some fabrics are more durable(Oxford) and some are very light weight(1.1Nylon, cuben, momentum). Some will have natural water resistance(Gortex) and some will be designed to keep down from slipping through the fabric(Calendared).

You will see many fabrics with the term Ripstop in the name. Ripstop is a type of weave pattern in the material that can make it in essence, Stronger and more resistant to tearing. Typically it has a square box shape pattern to the material.

Calendared simply means the material was passed through heavy rollers that compress and heat the material and give it a shiny down proof surface to one or both sides.

You will notice that alot of materials are listed with their weight per square yard. Like 1.1 ounce nylon or 1.9 ounce. The heavier the fabric the thicker the thread is. Thread is measured in Deniers. You will notice that some fabrics will say 30 Deniers or 30D or 70D or 210D. This just means how thick the thread is that used to make the material. The Higher the number the more durable the fabric and the more weight it can support. 30D is great for Tarps and some hammocks that are rated to 150lbs or less. Any thing heavier then 70D is recommended.

There is alot of options for waterproofing fabrics. DWR means Durable Water Repellent. There is water based, urethane based, and silicone based water repellents for fabrics. One of the most favored is the Silicone based water repellent because of its longevity and that it is easy to retreat the fabric if it wears off. Also it does not break down in more extreme temps like some other repellents do. You will notice that some fabrics come pre-treated with a DWR. Silnylon is just Nylon treated with Silicone. Silnylon is typically more expensive that other types of treated fabric such as urethane treated fabrics, but it is often lighter that others. Some other options are Cuben and Tyvek. Both fabrics do not need to be treated with a DWR because they are naturally water proof. Cuben can be quite expensive but it is very light weight and there are breathable options for it. Tyvek is much cheaper than Cuben but many dislike how loud it is when handled.

As for suspensions, there are many options like Webbing and whoopies. Some people like the Marlin Spike Hitch and Toggle(MSH) method coupled with a whoopie sling made out of AmSteel. Some like a more simple but slightly heavier suspension like Poly Webbing and Repelling Rings.
    For AmSteel, keep in mind even the smallest size, will most likely suit all your needs. It is very tough material, capable of handling 1000s of pounds of weight. Some people like larger sizes like 1/8" and even bigger because it is easier to splice. Splicing just means you make a loop(bite) at the end of the line and feed it back into itself on the inside (hollow) part of the rope and then stitch thread through it to lock it in place. Knots are not recommended for AmSteel or Dyneema in my opinion. That type of rope is really slick and slippery. Special knots are recommended like diamond knots that are less likely to slip out.

I know this is alot of stuff to read and I am sorry if this is an over load of information. There is alot more I could write but I'm pretty sure I passed the recommended word count awhile back. One last thing to leave you with is this. Nylon in general stretches and and polyester does not. Stretching can be a good thing for hammocks but a bad thing for suspensions. Take your time and learn as much as you can before any large purchases. I spend few months on this forum just reading before my first post or even purchase of a hammock.

Hope this helps alittle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast