wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Thanks for the answers. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a safety issue if threading thru the loop.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Carabiners have rounded edges through which the line or rope slides, causing less friction and thus less chafing and failure, so there is somewhat of a safety issue when loading a hammock. The spring gate is convenient when you're hanging on the side of a mountain or, in our case, want to work quickly.

Mike

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    Thanks for the answers. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a safety issue if threading thru the loop.
    You do want to make sure to double box your stitching atleast if you make your own. I get mine from strapworks aside from one set of long tiedown straps I use on my strap and desecender ring suspension.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    No biner for me either. I like to remove the straps from the cinch buckles and frezzerbag them for packing...avoids getting sap on my hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Biners! Ease of rigging for me. Custom Strapworks tree straps - 1-inch polyester with sewn loop at tree end and double d-ring at hammock end. Whoopies and stingerz for tarp suspension both go in the biner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    I'm new to hanging and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do things. One thing I don't understand when looking at videos and demos is why people use a biner on the loop of tree straps. Why can't I just feed the standing end of the strap thru the end loop to secure the strap around the tree?
    Thats exactly what I do---works great!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I use Dutch clips or biners so I don't have to unstring the straps off of the hammock. That way I don't have to worry about having left my strap on the tree at my last campsite.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls
    I have a similar question. I just got some polypro webbing from strapworks. I didn't see an option to have them sew loops in the webbing, but I'm a noob so I may have just missed it. Anyway, I was wondering if sewing loops was necessary, or if I could just tie a Bowline on a Bight and either attach a biner to the loop in that knot or simply run the other end of the webbing through the loop?

Thoughts or concerns?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by ajenness3 View Post
    I have a similar question. I just got some polypro webbing from strapworks. I didn't see an option to have them sew loops in the webbing, but I'm a noob so I may have just missed it. Anyway, I was wondering if sewing loops was necessary, or if I could just tie a Bowline on a Bight and either attach a biner to the loop in that knot or simply run the other end of the webbing through the loop?

Thoughts or concerns?
    Strapworks will make anything you want. You just have to go to their "Custom" requests and/or call them first and tell them what you are after. They should be familiar with doing work for HF folks as I have had several orders with custom made straps and I know others have had orders with them. I use a half-twist in my sewn loop (3-inch opening) to make it easier to thread the other end through. It keeps the loop open versus a flat-sewn loop. See my post above to see the hammock end with D-rings. Strapworks has a standard D-ring belt that I have them modify. PM me if you want more details.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    Strapworks will make anything you want. You just have to go to their "Custom" requests and/or call them first and tell them what you are after. They should be familiar with doing work for HF folks as I have had several orders with custom made straps and I know others have had orders with them. I use a half-twist in my sewn loop (3-inch opening) to make it easier to thread the other end through. It keeps the loop open versus a flat-sewn loop. See my post above to see the hammock end with D-rings. Strapworks has a standard D-ring belt that I have them modify. PM me if you want more details.
    Thanks, Rock. I guess the main issue is that I already ordered the straps and have them. I have a friend with a sewing machine, so I could sew loops on myself. My biggest question is if the sewn loops are necessary or just preference?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast