Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images

Was First Night Out, now HH Bug Net in Winter...

I'm agreed that the best route is to insulate under the hammock and go quilted inside. Using a pad in the hammock is just frustrating.

I wish the bug netting was removeable on the HH. Making the hammock warm by insulating on the outside is fine but then you have to contend with the bottom entry...

Has anyone, shudder, cut the netting off their HH?

Maybe the HH is best for three seasons and a top loader like the Speer or Crazy Creek better for winter, only because of the user access issues.

I'm sold on the concept of the Asym design of the HH and that is why I bought it, but I'm not married to it. It is demonstrably better for anyone?

I may try again tonight with the Crazy Crib and put a sleeping bag on the outside with a space blanket in the sleeve. Report to follow...

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skeenut View Post
    I'm agreed that the best route is to insulate under the hammock and go quilted inside. Using a pad in the hammock is just frustrating.
    Pads are definitely not as comfy in my opinion. As far as ease of use, they're not that bad in a top-loader. The enclosure of the HH just aggravates the problem.

I wish the bug netting was removeable on the HH. Making the hammock warm by insulating on the outside is fine but then you have to contend with the bottom entry...

Has anyone, shudder, cut the netting off their HH?
    Yup - Slowhike cut the netting off his friend's HH if I'm not mistaken. There's been a few others that've done it too. Search the archives here, and check out Brian from Tampa's pix at the Yahoo HammockCamping group. I've been toying with the idea of adding a zipper to my ULB so the netting is removable and replaceable at will. Just haven't gotten up the nerve yet

Maybe the HH is best for three seasons and a top loader like the Speer or Crazy Creek better for winter, only because of the user access issues.

I'm sold on the concept of the Asym design of the HH and that is why I bought it, but I'm not married to it. It is demonstrably better for anyone?
    I've almost gone completely away from my HH at this point. There's not much of a bug problem most of the places I hike, and my homemade Speer-type is just more comfy and easier to use. But that's just me.

I may try again tonight with the Crazy Crib and put a sleeping bag on the outside with a space blanket in the sleeve. Report to follow...
    Keep up the testing! It's all about finding out what works for you!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, but i'm not sure where that thread is now. i gotta get of this computer & start a down project i have in mind<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    OK, I made it through the night. Starting temp was 17, ending temp this morning at 0700 was 12.

I was warm enough, but intermittently cold. .........
    I was warm enough except when I leaned against the sides and compressed the loft or when sleep girations got me off the RR AND off the supershelter.

Next time: 1. Extra clothes go under the foam HH SS pad. 2. Defintely going to twist the SS loops twice through the hammock ........
    Thanks to all for suggestions and warm thoughts.

I'll make this work yet!!!

Best,
    Jeff
    Congratulations! Despite an epic struggle, you made it to 12° relatively warm. I know you don't want to spend any more money most likely, but the Speer SPE has made using a separate pad in the Hennessy hammock (or the Speer Hammock) pretty darn easy for me. It also takes care of all (or most) side insulation(arms/elbows/knees) issues. I had wondered what it would be like to get in a Big Agnes bag with pad in place inside a hammock. I see it's not easy. But I don't have any trouble getting in the sleeping bag if I put my feet into the bag and pull the bag up before I sit down in a hammock. But I can see that a pad being inside the bag might make it more difficult.

As for more insulation underneath, concentrate on preventing the undercover from being pulled down and away from the underpad. Either by beefing up the side loop connection as described, or by using light items that won't pull the undercover down, such as Garlington insulators or down clothing. It could be that if you have adequate insulation underneath as you gain experience with the Super Shelter, and maybe a long with a separate pad which will stay in place as you get in the shelter -- such as with an SPE -- that you would be able to just use those two bags over you as quilts and still be warm enough. Although you're still going to have to figure out a way to defeat any shoulder drafts and heat loss from your head and neck. Which is what I have used a separate marmot hood for, which I got on eBay for about 30 bucks. Dry loft, 750 down, and about 3 inches of thick loft all the way around my head, face and neck! So far, I usually end up overheating when I try to use this!

I think you did pretty good overall considering it was 12°!

Images
    OK, I ordered and received an SPE with four extenders from Ed. It's set up in the HH Asym UL, waiting....I'm going to use the 20 degree down Marmot with the 40 degree Big Agnes, both in quilt mode. Polarquard 3D helmet on the noggin and fleece from toe to neck. No SS on the outside.

Last night I tried a bivy for comparison. Used an OR Advanced on my wood deck. Slept in Patagonia puff pants and jacket with hood inside the Marmot 20 degree down bag. It got down to around 12 degrees again, breezy, almost windy, too. Suprisingly I was more comfortable temperature wise in the hammock. Not that I've been toasty warm yet...Lots of condensation in the bivy.

So tonight I'm in the HH on two RR CC 72x20 inch pads in the SPE with the CC blue foam extenders from Ed. It won't be quite as cold but should be down to about 15 or so.

Report to follow...

Any hangers in the Northwest NJ area?

Best,
    Jeff

Images
    Gang,

Best night out yet! Used Ed's SPE with four wings and two RR CC pads in the HH ULB Asym (love those abbreviations!). On top were a twenty degree Marmot down bag covered with a Big Agnes forty degree 3D bag, both were used in semi quilt form. Lightweight Capilene tops and bottoms, wool socks and 3D helmet. No underquilt.
    In "bed" at 2130 and 23 degrees out, up at 0530 and 13 degrees. Started the night just toasty warm and stayed that way until about 0500 when I think the ambient temps took a dive. Could've slept more but not as well. Coyotes were yipping and yowling too...
    Observations: 1. Quilts on top good, sleeping bags not so good. 2. SPE makes using pads in the hammock OK, not great, but OK. The insulation is great and the side wings do their job, but the pads still slip around and what should be a half awake turn-over in the middle of the night is still a nearly full awake adjustment session making sure you're still on the pads. Still a great leap forward in temperature control and convenience compared to my last go round with pads in the HH, sans SPE. 3. I need to remember some sort of pillow for neck support.
    I've ordered a Nest from JRB. Should be here Wednesday. I think the Nest with SPE and a single 3/4 RR CC will keep me toasty, not just OK, in all but the most bitter temps. I might just be ready to venture more than forty feet from my house.
    Best,
    jeff

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm always amazed when I continually read about the struggles you bottom loaders have trying to simply get in your hammocks and having evrything stay in place. My Claytor Jungle hammock with the double bottom seems so simple in comparison. You can place cc insulation ad naseum in the double bottom and it never moves an inch no matter how much you toss and turn. You can also have your insulation as wide as you want easily covering your shoulders etc.

Regarding entry, you simply unzip it, sit down....lay down...and pull your top quilt/sleeping bag over you and go to sleep. It really is and should be that simple. If you prefer an underquilt it still remains just as simple plus you could still insert a cc pad in the double bottom if it's REALLY cold. I'm sorry but those bottom loaders just seem sooooo complicated. I can't even imagine getting up to relieve myself in one of those hammocks.

If the HH hamocks had a side zip and a double bottom I'd probably buy one. Until then, the negatives far outweigh the positives in my humble opinion. I do enjoy reading about your varied techniques and efforts to enter your hammocks.

Miguel

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I love the bottom entrance on my Hennessy. No problems for me.

which do you prefer
    tom claytors hammock - 12.00%
    3 Votes
    tom hennessey hammocks - 88.00%
    22 Votes

Sorry. I could'nt resist.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 02-25-2007 at 09:29.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Gang,

Best night out yet! Used Ed's SPE with four wings and two RR CC pads in the HH ULB Asym (love those abbreviations!). On top were a twenty degree Marmot down bag covered with a Big Agnes forty degree 3D bag, both were used in semi quilt form. Lightweight Capilene tops and bottoms, wool socks and 3D helmet. No underquilt.
    In "bed" at 2130 and 23 degrees out, up at 0530 and 13 degrees. Started the night just toasty warm and stayed that way until about 0500 when I think the ambient temps took a dive. Could've slept more but not as well. Coyotes were yipping and yowling too...
    Observations: 1. Quilts on top good, sleeping bags not so good. 2. SPE makes using pads in the hammock OK, not great, but OK. The insulation is great and the side wings do their job, but the pads still slip around and what should be a half awake turn-over in the middle of the night is still a nearly full awake adjustment session making sure you're still on the pads. Still a great leap forward in temperature control and convenience compared to my last go round with pads in the HH, sans SPE. 3. I need to remember some sort of pillow for neck support.
    I've ordered a Nest from JRB. Should be here Wednesday. I think the Nest with SPE and a single 3/4 RR CC will keep me toasty, not just OK, in all but the most bitter temps. I might just be ready to venture more than forty feet from my house.
    Best,
    jeff
    Yay! The SPE seems to have done the trick. I'm not sure why the pads are still slipping around, I haven't had that trouble in either the HH or Speer when using SPE with 20" wide pads. In fact, if I decide I want to rearrange the pad left/right or up, on purpose, that can be a little tricky. I also don't have any trouble turning over. I've done well warmth wise using the SPE and one full length RR inside the HH SS at 18*, without even bothering with extra clothing or Garlington insulators underneath. But my warmest experience yet was the next night, also 18*, Speer hammock, SPE, full length RR and 3/4 length thermarest 1" thick ultralight. Zipped into my 5* NF mummy style bag( just one, no additional bags), with neck collar and hood cinched down, I actually started over heating after about 1 hr., and for the first time was actually able to go quilt style and stay totally warm.

As for Miguel's post re: bottom entry HH problems, It's really not a problem with me. I can get in and out very quick, actually easier than I can my speer, although the Speer might be a little easier to get in the bag, or at least to get on and stay on the pad. But getting out of the HH is great. Just open the bottom with my feet, put my feet out and stand up. And it's about that easy with the pads in place. But the Jungle hammocks, I suppose, might be even easier. Is it easier to get inside a sleeping bag with a jungle hammock? If so, I wonder why?

But I don't really have much trouble getting in a bag anymore since I've learned several tricks. The latest being starting out lying on my side or stomach, and putting the hood over my head and bag over my torso and shoulders from behind, then feet in the bag and then just roll over and zip up. Now if needed the hood and collar are available to maximize the warmth of the bag without any drafts. Though lately I have been warm enough to pull the hood down, which then makes a nice neck roll/pillow in perfect position for comfort!

Keep experimenting and posting results!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I love the bottom entrance on my Hennessy. No problems for me.

which do you prefer
    tom claytors hammock - 12.00%
    3 Votes
    tom hennessey hammocks - 88.00%
    22 Votes

Sorry. I couldn't resist.
    Let's keep in mind "denial" is a river in Egypt.

Seriously though...if you have a pad and who knows what else lying in the bottom of your hammock, don't you have to move it aside to enter your hammock? With the Claytor your pad isn't even in your hammock. All you do is slip under your underquilt/sleeping bag. It just seems like there would have to be quite a bit of rearranging resulting from entering from the bottom of your hammock.

Regarding your poll....Claytor hammocks haven't been around that long and he doesn't seem to advertise his products even within the backpacking/hammocking community. The exact opposite could be said about Hennesy. Bottom line....use what pleases you. Until recently I'll bet very few people on this forum or Whiteblaze have ever seen Claytor.

It's only a matter of tome before Neo will convert you all!

Have a great day, Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast