DIY Tablecloth gathered end. 126x60
    Tarp
    DIY Assym SilNylon
    Insulation
    Down & synth
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopies

Crinkle taffeta v. polyester

So looking at tablecloth shortcut to DIY and see poly and crinkle taffeta. Any opinions thrown at me here would be appreciated. I don't want stretch, or at least limit it, and it's got to be abuse resistant.

I am 240# and will might get two to double it up and place some insulation between them for this version.

Also, I am not unnecessarily weight conscious when it comes to gear. It should be bomb proof first. Form follows function. Ask my cycling friends about that.
    Transportation for Hiram Farm

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

Hammock
    eno dblnest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/usmss
    Suspension
    tree staps/whoopie
    i have a crinkle taffeta tablecloth, i have to say it does stretch alot due to the crinkle nature but it is 100% polyester so it's nice and strong. somewhere on here i read that they can support 300# my weight is 205 and while it did stretch quite a bit i did not once feel like i was in danger of it failing on me. 2 layers will give you more then enough strengh.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Omgak View Post
    i have a crinkle taffeta tablecloth, i have to say it does stretch alot due to the crinkle nature but it is 100% polyester so it's nice and strong. somewhere on here i read that they can support 300# my weight is 205 and while it did stretch quite a bit i did not once feel like i was in danger of it failing on me. 2 layers will give you more then enough strengh.
    What size crinkle tafetta tablecloth did you get? I used 2 gathered end crinkle taffetta hammocks 60"x120" and 60"x132" and noticed very little if any stretch. I have also built 2 bridge hammocks from that same fabric and can say that if there is any stretch in fabric it is hardly noticeable. As for weight capacity of a single layer, I believe PapaSmurf has a photo floating around with 500 pounds or so in a single layer hammock with no signs of stress on the fabric. As with most weight ratings, there is a built in safety factor.

So for the OP, a single layers is more than enough to hold you up at your listed weight.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    eno dblnest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/usmss
    Suspension
    tree staps/whoopie
    Mine is 90x156

I did not notice any stretch in my 60x126. I weigh 155 Idk if that plays into it or not.

Jeremy

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    My wife and I have a 90" x 156" crinkle and it is absolutely awesome. It is our goto yard hammock. Together we are around the 300lb mark and I haven't noticed and stretch.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Some people are apparently very sensitive to stretch, but I think my stretch-o-meter is broken, or I was born without one. I haven't noticed any stretch in my tablecloth hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I think you may be confusing 2 different things. Poly(ester) is the material. Taffeta and crinkle taffeta are both weaves, so you could theoretically have nylon crinkle taffeta, nylon taffeta (or ripstop or satin or packcloth or any number of weaves). The same with polyester.

Regarding stretch, there's a number of factors. The material/fiber is probably the one we're all most familiar with, but the weave also plays a (smaller) part. RamblinRev can probably tell us for sure, but I imagine it's something like packcloth on the non-stretchy end, and something like knit jersey on the stretchy end. These are with the same fiber and just changing the weave.

The third factor is weight (of the user and the fabric). It's pretty intuitive, but the heavier the person in relation to the fabric, the more stretch. Conversely, the heavier the fabric in relation to the person, the less stretch.

That being said, I have a polyester crinkle taffeta hammock (AHE Picnic Hammock) in my room, has next to no suspension, and a rigid attachment, so any stretch is fairly obvious, and I would say there is next to no stretch. I've tried a 1.9 ripstop nylon hammock in that space, and it's only got a small bit more stretch. I'm 200 lbs, btw.

Hang happy,
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Has anyone made a hammock out of the regular polyester tablecloth instead of the crinkle taffeta tablecloth? And if so how does it compare/feel?

Images

It's Never Been Done Before!

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan View Post
    Has anyone made a hammock out of the regular polyester tablecloth instead of the crinkle taffeta tablecloth? And if so how does it compare/feel?
    Are you kidding me? These guys have made hammocks out of everything. Im talking, nylon, polyester, tablecloths, curtains, cuben fiber, sails, etc. I am sure there are quite a few out there on the fringe using, carpet, sheet plastic, cheesecloth, and duct tape....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast