Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro

Will a Speer PeaPod work on Hennessy Hammock w/ 2Q Zipper Mod #2?

Hello All,
    I'm a newbie to Hammock Forums, but a HH owner for 4 years (with many miles in the Rocky Mtns.). (I had a Hilleberg Akto, but ditched it for the Hammock Lifestyle years ago!)

**So first, just want to say Hello!**

I've been searching and reading many of the posts here on Hammock Forums lately and you guys are awesome! Tons of great knowledge, experience, engineering thoughts, and plenty of personal preferences. Love it!

I recently came upon a post by 2Q about a HH zipper mod. Totally excited about having this done. Opens up a whole new world for my HH and hammock camping experience. I love the bottom entry, but now having both bottom and top entry is superb.
    I use my HH year around. I have the Super Shelter system (both top and bottom covered) and have used this in -10F in Wyoming in the winter. Of course I have a Cabelas -40F XPG Goose Down Sleeping Bag w/waterproof shell and lay on top of my winter jacket and insulated pants as a makeshift pad. The SS works great but still cold on my backside. Only slight crystalized condensation on the bug netting. Not enough to worry about getting my down sleeping bag wet.

-My question is too see if a Speer Peapod will work on a HH with this #2 Zipper Mod?

-I realize you have to cut the ridgeline for a PeaPod to work, or do you?
    -How did you reattach the ridgeline?
    -Experiences using a HH with ridgeline separated?
    -Is cutting the ridgeline even recommended?

-Do you have to modify the PeaPod? If yes, what did you have to do?

-Is using an underquilt w/ sleeping bag inside a better concept for winter camping?

Any other thoughts, concerns, experiences, modifications, and definitely pics of your HH with a PeaPod (w/ or w/out the ridgeline attached) would be great.

Thanks in advance for your input and can't wait to share some of my hammock experiences and ideas!
    Cheers,
    Mark

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Trees View Post
    **So first, just want to say Hello!**
    Welcome to the forum!

I had a Hilleberg Akto, but ditched it for the Hammock Lifestyle years ago!
    I still have an Akto - for the places where there simply aren't good hanging options (Baja in particular).

I recently came upon a post by 2Q about a HH zipper mod. Totally excited about having this done. Opens up a whole new world for my HH and hammock camping experience. I love the bottom entry, but now having both bottom and top entry is superb.
    Yep, that mod makes for a very versatile setup.

-My question is too see if a Speer Peapod will work on a HH with this #2 Zipper Mod?
    Yes, if you have the netting fully zipped off or down then it should work fine. Alternatively, even if you don't zip off the netting but have a removeable ridgeline you can just flip the hammock over and it should work that way too.

-I realize you have to cut the ridgeline for a PeaPod to work, or do you?
    Because the peapod fully encloses the hammock, you either need the netting to be fully removeable or to have the ability to disconnect the ridgeline. Either way should work.

-How did you reattach the ridgeline?
    There is really no need to 'remove' the ridgeline. All you would have to do is make it collapsible. When I did this mod in the past I cut the ridgeline in the middle and tied bowline knots on the two cut ends. I then slipped those bowlines onto a carabiner or quicklink to 'reconnect' them. When I wanted to drop the ridgeline, I just slipped one end off the biner.

-Is cutting the ridgeline even recommended?
    As long as you are careful about it, there is no downside to making it collapsible.

-Do you have to modify the PeaPod? If yes, what did you have to do?
    No, it's fine as is.

-Is using an underquilt w/ sleeping bag inside a better concept for winter camping?
    Better than what? Underquilts are certainly a wonderful approach for warmth in all kinds of weather. Especially in a HH, they are far easier to manage than pads.

Any other thoughts, concerns, experiences, modifications, and definitely pics of your HH with a PeaPod (w/ or w/out the ridgeline attached) would be great.
    If you like the PeaPod style, I'd certainly recommend giving it a shot with the HH mods. If you use it with the netting just zipped off, then the ridgeline of the HH will stay in place and will remain on the outside of the PeaPod. If you decide to make the ridgeline collapsible, then you can disconnect it, flip the HH over, and have the PeaPod surround the whole hammock. Either method should be fine.

Again, welcome.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Hello Sparrow!
    Thanks for the great reply.
    I definitely want to have the HH #2 Zipper Mod done to my HH hammock. The new possibilities for accessing gear and using around the campsite are infinite.

I really like the PeaPod idea. I was concerned that when you slip the PeaPod over the HH (w/ bug net zippered out of the way), the ridgeline might be in the way on the ends. It seems the the ridgeline would come from underneath the PeaPod, once the PeaPod has been closed up. (I realize the PeaPod is open down the middle, so you can enclose the PeaPod underneath the ridgeline.) Just wasn't sure if the ridgeline needed to be repositioned completely above the PeaPod for the PeaPod to work correctly. Hope this makes sense. I'm looking at the PeaPod pic. at SpeerHammocks.com and trying to see how it will work with a ridgeline HH (bug net rolled back, of course).

I would love to see a pic of how the PeaPod looks on a HH w/ ridgeline attached (bug mesh out of the way). If no trouble.

As far as my question about an underquilt w/ sleeping bag inside... I was wondering if this concept is better/warmer/less condensation/etc. than the PeaPod design?

I definitely don't like using pads. Just too bulky to carry in/on a backpack.

Let me know what you think. Hammocks are the way!
    Cheers,
    mark

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I'm looking at the PeaPod pic. at SpeerHammocks.com and trying to see how it will work with a ridgeline HH (bug net rolled back, of course).

I would love to see a pic of how the PeaPod looks on a HH w/ ridgeline attached (bug mesh out of the way). If no trouble.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any handy pics since I gave away my HH to a friend. You'll find, though, that you can attach the PeaPod on the outside ends of the HH and let the ridgeline run through the velcro closure of the PeaPod. -I hope that's clear. I have seen that done, but haven't used the PeaPod for any length of time myself.

As far as my question about an underquilt w/ sleeping bag inside... I was wondering if this concept is better/warmer/less condensation/etc. than the PeaPod design?
    Again, my experience with the PeaPod is limited to short tests only. But, by all reports the PeaPod users have had excellent results. I suggest reading BillyBob58's review of the PeaPod if you haven't already.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Yep, as long as you can get that netting completely off to the side, or even MOSTLY, it should work. You probably won't have as much shoulder room in the HH as you would without the PeaPod. It is basically going to be just like being inside a big sleeping bag, just one that happens to surround the hammock. Though that might be roomy by most mummy bag comparisons, it won't be as wide as the HH.

Also, lying on the extreme diagonal in the HH might cause some problems, but you should be able to work this out. At worse, a small pad just big enough to cover any area you might be compressing when you lay on the diagonal. I can usually lay on the diagonal with no real problems in my non asym hammocks, but I'm not sure if that would woek quite as well in a HH. I just have not tried it, as I have not had a zipper mod placed in my HH, yet.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I cut my HH ridgeline a while back and use a Nite Ize S-Biner Size #4 to get ridgeline out of way when need be. Biner weighs 1 oz and no problems yet with it. I've had it on for about 6 months now.

I have Mod #2 on my HH and you can completely tie netting out of way. If I were using Mod #2 with PeaPod, I'd ask 2Q and ZQ to put 3 ties on it to make sure the netting is completely secure. I have 2 ties on mine right now and sometimes wish for three.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Thanks Sparrow and BillyBob!
    You guys are a GodSend! Appreciate all your thoughts.

BB58~I did read your forum on the Speer PeaPod III w/ 2oz. Overfill. Great review!
    Oh, and you are not alone as a Super Shelter fan!

Curious about the PeaPod...
    -How waterproof is the nylon ripstop shell?
    -Have you used the PeaPod in damp/rainy environment?
    -Did you experience wet/clumpy down in this environment?

-Have you used your PeaPod as a sleeping bag inside your HH (or other hammock when using a bug mesh over the top) in warmer weather?

Thanks for your help!

Images
    Thanks Sparrow and BillyBob!
    You guys are a GodSend! Appreciate all your thoughts.

BB58~I did read your forum on the Speer PeaPod III w/ 2oz. Overfill. Great review!
    Oh, and you are not alone as a Super Shelter fan!

Curious about the PeaPod...
    -How waterproof is the nylon ripstop shell?
    -Have you used the PeaPod in damp/rainy environment?
    -Did you experience wet/clumpy down in this environment?

-Have you used your PeaPod as a sleeping bag inside your HH (or other hammock when using a bug mesh over the top) in warmer weather?

Thanks for your help!
    I have used the Pod in damp rainy conditions, but for no more than a couple of days. ( I still need to report on equipment used on my recent week in the Wind Rivers, Wyoming, but I can't seem to get around to it). I have so far had no issues with water and the down, just some paranoia. I have had some moisture get on the shell, it does not seem to get through, at least not enough to noticeably decrease loft.

One night when it was super windy, I had the JRB tarp pitched pretty low on one side, and it turns out that was the side my head was close to. When I lay on my side in my Claytor, I will twist/rotate the pod so that the top opening is on the side near my face, rather than on top. This seems to work pretty good. But I guess it move after I was asleep, plus unknown to me, the tarp was right up against the pod, right where I was exhaling. Needless to say, when I woke up I found there was a lot of condensation at that spot, about 6" in diameter. It appeared quite soaked. But, it still looked like there was a fair amount of loft. By the end of the day ( under the tarp, no sun available anyway), it looked dry and fully lofted, to my surprise. So, I suppose the shell, even though it was soaked, managed to keep most of the condensation out of the down. Amazingly to me.

If you read page 3, post #25 of my review, you will see a report of a back yard mishap where I failed to use drip lines with my Speer hammock and PeaPod, and rain ran into my hammock and my pod, definitely getting the pod wet during a winter rain. This had surprisingly little negative effect over all, and some how most loft was maintained. Later IN THE HOUSE, it was quickly bone dry and maximally lofted. See the details in that post.

I am very paranoid about down and moisture, but so far I have gotten away with quite a bit with no problems at all. But if I was deep in a really rainy wilderness for much more than a week, I might have a different opinion.

I have not used the pod as a quilt or bag, but I have no doubt it would work superbly. But you wouldn't want to plan on that, because it would be too much weight for a top quilt, because it is so big. Way bigger than needed for a top quilt. But it sure will drape over you abundantly, and should not have any problems with draft!

Images
    Hey Mark, I just ran a little (very quick) experiment for you. It just happens that my HH Explorer with SS is set up in the back yard. So I grabbed my PeaPod and tried it out as a quilt. It was a bit awkward getting that giant Michelin Man imitation into the bottom opening and then getting in. But once I did, oh man! I left the bottom half Velcroed enough to encase my legs. Then I velcroed just a few inches of the other end, enough to make a hole I could pull over my head. I don't know how it could have worked any better. I was completely covered, with a huge amount of loft over me. It looked to me like I would be good for way colder than the 20*F rating ( way more loft than rated), with no draft problems at all, in any position. So yes, it would definitely work as a top quilt, or it can be rigged as a double thickness overcoat, though a pretty crazy looking one!

But again, it's not likely you would use this 2 3/4 pound combo top/bottom quilt as just a top quilt, when a 1 or 1.25 lb one would get the job done. After all, this thing is 9 ft long, as well as about 6 feet wide. The only way you could reasonably do that is if you had nothing else to use on top and you had pads for the bottom. Or I suppose, if you had to go to ground. Or if you were car camping or on some short trip where you were unconcerned about weight.

OTOH, my polarguard Cat's Meow large mummy bag weighs 3 lbs, 1/4 pound more than this PeaPod. And the Pod would blow it out of the water if trying to use the two as a quilt. ( Water may be a poor term, since we are comparing down to PG!

But if you did use it as a quilt for some reason, I sure do think you would be warm.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Hey BB58,
    Thanks for all the input and effort.
    I'm excited that you were able to get that BIG PeaPod in the HH! That's awesome. I really appreciate you taking the time. It's nice to know the options of this PeaPod.

I read your post on page 3 of the #25 review. Sounds like quite a night for you in the rain! The experience and what you learned is so valuable, though.
    I am curious... I have never had a problem with rain running down my HH cords into my hammock. I have slept in the rain numerous times (under tall pine trees) with an oversized silnylon tarp and guyed out low to the ground. -Could it be the smaller ropes of the HH that doesn't seem to draw the water down as much? Just a thought. I have seen the drip line concept, but never really felt the need.

I am really sold on getting a PeaPod and having 2Q and ZQ do the #2 Zipper Mod on my HH Backpacker Ultralight A-Sym to make it all possible. I really want to carry just the PeaPod and wear additional clothing layers and maybe use leaves and grasses for extra loft. I'm trying to keep my pack as light as possible and not have to carry a sleeping bag and peapod or underquilt with me, too. I love camping in the winter, as much as the summer and keeping the pack light is most important.

I also spoke with Ed and thinking about have a PeaPod custom made with 3 or even 4 oz. overfill for use in sub zero temps. He said it can be done. Not sure what it will push the temp rating to. This will be some big $$$ if I go for it. Not sure if I can afford right now. (If I do, I might have a Cabelas -40 XPG 750 Goose Down bag for sale real soon!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast