DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Lightbulb (FlyingFish sock) Spin off of the Hangnout dirigible

In my time here on the forums, I have been searching for a way to hang without having to worry too much with setting up my gear, "rain coming down in sheets thick as lead" (name that movie), etc. This endeavor started when I was just a guppy and still does to this day.

In June of this year, medicineman posted a youtube video and an ongoing review of the R&D that him and Hangnout are working on that had me drooling with envy. (See link below) It is a waterproof tarp/sock that takes the set-up time of a normal hammock down to around a minute. While my idea will not be quite as short of a setup time, I think it will work.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=54206

Since he uses the two types of cuben fiber, this setup, even if it were mass produced, would cost a hefty penny for the average person. So this is my two cents towards an affordable waterproof-breathable sock/tarp.

My idea is this, using silnylon, or polyurethane coated nylon, some bugnetting (or tulle), shockcord, and a few different how-to's on the forum and just jeff's webpage; put together a waterproof breathable dirigible of sorts. In order for this concept to work it will need to be breathable, and all the while remain waterproof.

I plan on starting with a diy tarp, and have extra silny for some waterproof undercover strips (more about that in a minute). Once I have my tarp sewn, I will add an estimated 6-12 inch strip of bugnetting on one side of the tarp running the full length. The tarp will have shockcord pull-outs on this side to hold this side of the tarp out.

Moving on down: Once I have the netting sewn to the tarp I could then sew on the next strip of silny. Leaving about 6 inches of the silny to hang, I would then add another strip of bugnetting running the full length directly underneath the bottom of the hammock. How I would keep the rain from dripping down onto the netting is another thing (that's what the extra 6 inches of silny is for). The best idea I have come up with so far would be to have some common home depot 3/8in nuts, or somthing similar into a seam at the end of this section of silny every foot or so to weigh it down so it hangs.

After the bottom bugnetting, I would sew another length of silny, leaving the 6 inches or so for another set of "weights". This would be sewn to a stretch side entry type of bugnetting, keeping this breathability routine going.

If this description is hard to understand, don't worry, I have an attachment to show what I mean. It looks as though I had a first grader draw it on paint, but I have never used any kind of cad program, nor have one to even make up such a thing. It should be fairly easy to understand though.

Any questions and/or suggestions are totally welcome by ALL to improve on this design. My whole purpose is not to take away from the Hangnout design at all or take any kind of credit at all, it is merely to allow a cheaper material list so all can enjoy something along the lines of the Hangnout Dirigible sock.

This was a thought I have had for a while now, and finally took a few minutes to give all of you my thoughts. I hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Fish<><; 09-10-2012 at 04:44. Reason: Title change
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    FishSock!! I love it. So very happy you were motivated to pursue your own answer. We had bee hive duty this week but we did get out for another overnighter with me testing in the Dirigible yet again.
    Please post follow ups on the FishSock as it comes into reality. Hangnout has already hinted though not promised a much more economical approach to the breathable yet waterproof hammock sock--fingers crossed on his approach and yours!
    I would like to make a prediction. On a humid/rainy night you will see some condensation on the sil-nyl side of the 'ceiling', how much will depend on how tightly drawn up the bugnet is--you might even see some condensation on the upper part of the bug net.
    Of course condensation, dew point, warm breath hitting cool/cold surfaces and other factors come into play but I think your approach is certainly viable and worth experimenting with.
    This weekend with my set up time of super quick I was available to help the others in the rain/drizzle/wind. Once you're done with the waterproof breathable sock you'll have to figure out what to do with the time on your hands!
    Keep us posted and woohoo to your motivation and ingenuity!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I would probably have it set up to a similar configuration to what is shown in my basic drawing which may keep it from atleast dripping on my face. I can only assume, especially in this hot and humid climate of Guam, that there would be some kind of condensation on the inside of the tarp regardless of ventilation. Though more open to the elements, I have not experinced it at all with my current setup, and hope my design has enough ventilation to elleviate any possible condensation to atleast the point that the dirigible is at.

I will definitely have to build a scale model (probably out of pillowcases) so i can get some more valid dimensions. Do you have any advise on how to make a scale model? Use inches to feet or anything like that. Since the only thing I have ever sewn on my machine is limited to frayed towels, I am sure there will be quite a bit of restitching involved on my model. I will definitely keep you posted, and I may even make a youtube video for my R&D stages.

The only issue I have right now is with time. Since my kid is so young, I dont get much time or ability to do my own thing until I am absolutely exhausted from the day. There is always something to do around the house as I am sure you well know...

Thanks for your reply and kind words.

Kevin

P.S. I don't predict this to be very insulating like the dirigible, it's more for the waterproof/ ease of set up type of thing.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post

I like it, I wonder if you went with DWR ripstop on the bottom if you would lose much performance. I'm guessing you want the silnylon for splash & sideways rain protection & the bug netting for venting. I'm wondering if DWR wouldn't get you venting, some rain protection & probably better wind protection. Also, it would simplify construction.

Thoughts?

Ed
    This was from another thread concerning my idea..

My reply:

DWR would work to a certain extent for water resistance, but the main reason I would use silny is to keep water form being trapped in the fibers of the material so my hammock and uq wouldn't get wet when i pack it up in a sack all together. It would help the ventilation, but I am not sure how it would keep water out of the fabric. Someone more experienced with fabrics would have to answer that question more extensively.

Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman lite
    Tarp
    TW Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Pad+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Nice idea, will follow the thread

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    So here is a slight update with my sock. I took some time sitting here at the computer to try and draw out some rough sizes and dimensions for cutting my cloth for this project. I have not tried making this yet, and if I have something wrong with the "blueprints" someone please correct me. But here is my first attempt at a semi-decent drawing of the FlyingFish sock...

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Fish, you need to go ahead and get to the next step...as in we want to see pics/vids of the real thing

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Well I ain't no medicineman...at least with a sewing machine, so this will take a while. If I showed you pics of my progress, it would be horrendous. Long story short, I give up till I get some decent size for material to work with. In other words, I am planning on making the sock out of 2 bed sheets roughly the size that the full size would be. On second hand, I might as well just dive in head first. The worst that could happen is busting my head open (metaphorically) and who knows, I might figger it out by process of elimination of sorts. Sure i might use a little extra seam sealer for the sock, but what the heck. I already got the go ahead from the wife to ''make some online purchaces''...More to follow

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    The diagram looks good. Sewing the thing doesn't look that hard either - just long pieces. Couldn't you just sew a mini or scaled down version first? That would let you see any parts that need redesign.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    The diagram looks good. Sewing the thing doesn't look that hard either - just long pieces. Couldn't you just sew a mini or scaled down version first? That would let you see any parts that need redesign.
    Tried it already...hence no pictures. Long story short I ended up making a sleeve without a shirt. I have a long way to go with learning the dark side of the force...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast