Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Images
    Oh BTW Thermocouple: Love your thread title "HATED it!".

Because it reminds me of the bad results of a friend of mine. One buddy and I had gone on two week long trips with hammocks to the Rockies and Olympics, along with my son and his friend in their traditional tent. And they had a good laugh at my misery in my hammock on my 1st COLD hammock night. When planning the 3rd trip, all of a sudden both of them want to go hammocks. Though we had not tried to influence them even a little bit, I guess they were tired of seeing us look so comfortable lounging around camp and bragging about how well we slept every night.

So any way, my son's friend came to my house to try several hammocks and various insulation in my back yard. Since he was a confirmed side and stomach sleeper, ( he had not told me about his severe claustrophobia yet, big mistake) I thought he might do better with a bridge hammock). But without further consulting me, he ordered the 8 ft long Claytor and a Speer Pea Pod. I was using the same system with a 10 ft long Claytor.

So 1st week of Sept we fly out to the Rockies, and 1st night camp is set up at between 9 and 10 thousand feet. I tuck the 2 new guys in, kind of, tryin to make sure they have things set up right, all looks good. It drops down in the 20s that night. I use my puffy clothing to fill the extra space on top of me with the PeaPod and get by OK. The sun comes up, and I here folks starting to get up. 3 of us are refreshed and slept great and at least adequately warm. But the above mentioned new guy responds to "How'd you sleep?" with "Hate it, hate it, hate it"! Much like the title of your thread. He was mad as a wet hen, and this the 1st day of a week long trip, OH BOY! NOT GOOD!

Turns out he is a severe claustrophobic. And he had not brought enough top insulation to make up for the top gap caused by a hammock with a PeaPod. Or he did not know or think to even use his puffy clothing. So turns out he would close the pod up and be plenty warm, but he could not stand that long due to the claustrophobia and would have to open it up and quickly freeze. He had a miserable night and got no sleep.

He was so mad that he was hard to work with on solving the problem, but we finally got things at least good enough. Even though I know he slept "OK" after that and like every one else he was spending 10 or 12 hours a day in the hammock when counting long after noon naps, he kept complaining about missing sleeping on hos belly in the tent. That has been several years and he has never been in a hammock again.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thermocouple View Post
    Easily could have been operator error, it being my first hang, and being solo (took two of the kids out with me - little backpackers). I was using a pad, an Exped Downmat 7 (inflatable). Hang could have been too tight? I was going to take pics and post here, but was so irritated by morning that I had resolved to be done with the experiment - was a little grumpy about it come morning lol.

Will check out those bridge hammocks, as well as those links to making your own. Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I will be safe for my upcoming trip though and carry my Hubba, but perhaps I will not be so hasty as to give up on hanging just yet.

Interested to see if other HH hangers are able to have a variety of positions?
    Well, once again I should have read the entire thread before posting!

On your 1st night in a hammock, you were trying to use a PAD in a single layer HH Expedition? Had I known about this in advance, I could have told you to expect a miserable night, most likely. The majority of folks ( but NOT ALL) report a lot of problems trying to use a pad in this hammock.

OTOH, that same pad inside a BMBH with pad pocket works spectacularly well. A few folks even prefer the new Thermarest Neoair all season pad over UQs when used with the JRB Deluxe bridge. Probably works just as well in the new War Bonnet double layer(pad pocket) bridge, but I can't say from personal experience.

In the meantime, with your hammock, an HH Super Shelter UQ will be WAY more comfortable and easy to use, just be aware of a learning curve with some UQs. A Pea Pod would probably even work quite well with that hammock as long as you can get the net out of the way.

BTW, in my larger HH Explorer ULs and especially the giant Safari, I have no trouble sleeping on my side in fetal as well as on my back, no problem ( I am 6'1", 215 lbs). But every hammock I have tried as well as all UQs and such have at least a small ( or large ) learning curve. The back yard is a great place to get it all worked out.

And I have not read yet if you were trying to use your sleeping bag in a normal fashion. If so, that can also be a source of much misery at least until you master the learning curve. But many bags work great as a quilt, with a new learning curve added to avoid drafts and be as warm.

Good luck either way!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-10-2012 at 17:03.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    all may not be lost.

I feel for ya!! That Hennessy picture of the whole setup in a bag is really compelling, isn't it!!

When I got my first hammock, I eagerly retired to the back porch. Fell asleep okay, but awoke after one sleep cycle (2 1/2 hours or so) and COULD NOT GET BACK TO SLEEP!!!

Gave up and went back to my own bed at 1 am.
    Same thing for two or three more nights.

Then, one night, I slept through and woke up at first light. From that point on, I slept very well. Slept on the back porch for over three months.

For some reason, I needed a long adaptation phase to like it.

And, you don't really save any weight, when all is said and done. Tarp, underquilt and blanket or bag weigh about the same. want lighter, throw money at it in either case.
    grinder

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    Sent you a PM, I'm a few hours south of you and may be able to help your issues a bit.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I had a bad girlfriend once, doesn't mean I gave up on women completely.

Quote Originally Posted by thermocouple View Post
    Easily could have been operator error, it being my first hang, and being solo (took two of the kids out with me - little backpackers). I was using a pad, an Exped Downmat 7 (inflatable). Hang could have been too tight? I was going to take pics and post here, but was so irritated by morning that I had resolved to be done with the experiment - was a little grumpy about it come morning lol.

Will check out those bridge hammocks, as well as those links to making your own. Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I will be safe for my upcoming trip though and carry my Hubba, but perhaps I will not be so hasty as to give up on hanging just yet.

Interested to see if other HH hangers are able to have a variety of positions?
    I know what you mean about trying to find a position to sleep... But at the same time I have found hammocks to conform to so many positions its crazy. Any time you stick your knee or foot out it changes shape and you slump into a new position... It may just take finding the right ones to cycle through.

I always though people were crazy to side sleep in gathered ends. The other week it all fell into place and now on the side is very comfy with out even being in the fetal position.

Id say first look into ditching the pad. With no pad you can slide from position to position with out taking the thing with you. Look into no sew poncho liner under quilts (pluq), and maybe even adapt the style to try with a blanket or regular quilt before you spend more.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Brings to mind the old adage. "If at first you don't succeed, try,and try again.' Having fought beds for years after marrying and coming to the Forum I knew that with everyone elses praise of the hammock I had to just keep trying. Spent over a week just playing with different gather methods. My wife has tried numerous times and just hasn't found it yet, might be the reason we've tried every type of bed made in the last 38 years. Even at that I will catch her trying out a new hammock I'm working on. Since going to a hammock fulltime over a year ago I've been in a bed 4 times and was miserable each time. Glad to hear that you are going to give it another try and hope to see singing the praises of your hammock.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Images

What a great community!

Unbelievable, a guy that I think none of you know, postsnabout a miserable night in a hammock. 66 replys and over 1300 views of the thread trying to help the guy work through his troubles so that he can have the best experience on the trail in a hammock.

Amazing, all of you.

I guarantee I could post somewhere else about a terrible experience in a tent, pad or a bag and you would never see this kind of response. I am really looking forward to an opportunity to meet you guys. You're good people, all of you!

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    XL Rain Fly
    Insulation
    Not yet known
    Suspension
    strp/cb/rappelring
    I just dropped the coins on a Clark NX-150.

I looked at the HHs and they didn't do anything for me.

Gosh... I hope it works for me. I have never slept in a hammock but got the idea from a adventure bike rider friend. I ride a motorcycle and want to do some camping.

If it doesn't work for me you guys will be the first to know. I more than likely put it up for sale on here. lol

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    The only thing I might can add to the discussion is start with a larger hammock to get used to hanging, then experiment with smaller hammocks if you really trying to shave ounces. Your hammock is pretty small, about 4' x 8.5'. A 5' x 10' is pretty common, and 11' lengths have an even larger sweet spot. My oldest daughter is near 5' tall and finds her 8' hammock to be too short (can't get a good diagonal lay). She really likes her 11' one.

Since you have a nice pad, you may think of trying a double layer hammock that allows you to place the pad between layers. It will tend not to shift around during the night inside the two layers, unlike just laying it in the hammock. As others have said, don't fully inflate it for best results. I used a BA pad successfully for several months before I got an UQ.

Check out "The Ultimate Hang" http://theultimatehang.com/ Very helpful book by a fellow HF member.

Also check out this thread. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57519 You can try it for the cost of shipping. It's a very nice hammock.

Glad you're willing to try again. When I first started hanging, I remember someone saying, "If it's not comfy, you're doing it wrong." HYOH, but like shoes, one size doesn't fit all. There's a hammock out there that you'd find to suit your needs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast