INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    I notice a BIG difference between my HH(which is shorter) and my DIY(which is 13') My DIY sleeps way better to me, it allows for my legs to lay flatter, even though the foot box makes the HH sleepable, for me it still doesn't sleep as well. I sleep on my back and sides at home, Im 5'10" 195 lbs and in the DIY I can do this as well, not so easy in a shorter hammock. My gal Lunchbox sleeps on her stomach,sides and back, but took right to the DIY. Don't give up, you'll find the right mix.
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by thermocouple View Post
    OK I am convinced. I will persevere and try some more. It's likely that I not only have an undersized hammock, but that I also hung it too tight.
    I'm glad to hear this. One night is truly not enough to be sure that you hate it. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out what worked for me, but now I am so comfy in the hammock that I don't want to sleep anywhere else. During those couple of weeks I had a few bad nights' sleep. NO FUN! I'm sorry that your first experience was not what you had hoped it would be, but happy you are willing to give it some more consideration. You may convert after all....

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Don't give up on hammock camping just yet. It takes awhile to get use it.
    Is it hang time yet?

I am an active side sleeper, tosser and turner, as well. My first time in a hammock was at Boy Scout summer camp in 2012. Temps were 107F that week and high humidity. I didn't sleep well the first 2 nights, but nights 3-6 I slept like a baby!! I later bought the whoopieslings.com Structural Ridgeline and that helped me out tremendously.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
    Don't give up on hammock camping just yet. It takes awhile to get use it.
    I guessing a few years might have been enough time to decide if it was going to take.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I guessing a few years might have been enough time to decide if it was going to take.
    I guess so
    Is it hang time yet?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I just love old threads brought to life as new threads. Need my hammock and popcorn...
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Everyone's different and just giving hammocks a try was cool. I'm glad you kept your tents.

Like many, my first few nights took some getting used to but I stuck it out and now sleep better in the Piney Woods than I do at home! Even though at home I'm a 95% side sleeper, somehow in a hammock, once I get settled, I can sleep on my back no problem once I've tucked a rolled up sweater under my knee and a clothes bag in a pillowcase by my left shoulder.

Just an idea, but if you're still curious, try to find a local hang and check out some of the different hammocks styles, insulation methods, etc... Folks are usually quite willing to chat about the pro's and con's of their setups.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    As others have said, it's different for differnt people. As much as I love my hammocks, I wish I could be comfortable on the ground in a tarp tent. I love the idea of a tarp tent and all but my back doesn't let me sleep well on the ground. Pads have sure improved but to get one that's substantial enough to make up for my bad back, I have to go too heavy. I'm a side sleeper who moves around too but somehow I've managed to get comfortable sleeping in a hammock although it's taken a lot of experimentation!! I would think a larger percentage of people who try hammocks give up on them because of the learning curve and vaiables you have to dial in; especially if you're trying to lower weight. If you don't care about weight you can go with longer, heavier, double layer hammocks and get more comfort but at a cost!

At least you tried it and know versus never having tried it and not knowing!

Gideon

I may be repeating others but here is my view as a beginner. I too am a side sleeping tosser and turner but found I can sleep on my back in my hammock, though I still mostly sleep on my side. I have a skeeter beater pro, 10.5 foot, my first mistake was stringing to tight, I figured that out and took care of the shoulder squeeze. still not quite right so I read on here and started with a fixed ridge line and after a week of tinkering had it perfect, but alas, along came my daughter messing with my stuff and I am back to tinkering again for the last week. I have been sleeping in it every night for about 3 weeks now indoors and out and the conclusion ( right or wrong ) I have came to is that as soon as Christmas for the family is taken care of I am going to get a 11 footer from Dutch. I am convinced from the little experience I have that the extra length is what is missing for me to EASILY GET IT DIALED IN. I know it can sleep great, I've done it, it's just been really hard to duplicate once my fixed ridge line got messed with. my daughter ( bless her heart ) has received the message loud and clear that messing with the old mans hammock leads to no good and she will be getting one for Christmas to drive that point home. long story short I have camped my entire life ( 54 ) on the ground and only recently bought a hammock because I thought it would be cooler for a august trip and even with all the mistakes I made I can still pretty much promise you that if you stick with it you won't be sorry and a hammock from Dutch won't hurt the budget.

Good luck and hang in there, it is worth learning curve IMHO.

creek

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast