Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Night 1 - HATED it.

Spent my first night in a hammock over the weekend. Been backpacking most of my life, I am very comfortable sleeping in the back country. I decided to give the hammock a shot because of the versatility and lighter weight.

Without question it was the worst night of sleep I have ever had in the back country.

I was so interested in making this concept work that I overlooked some fundamental flaws in the idea. I am an active sleeper, and primarily a side sleeper. Evidently there is a very narrow window of "sweet spot" to be comfortable in a hammock, and I cannot abide laying in the same position all night. I cannot sleep in a restrictive mummy bag for this reason either.

In the wee hours of the night, after little sleep, I finally threw in the towel, climbed out, lowered the hammock to the ground, climbed back inside and got the only real sleep I had that night. I only regret that I didnt do this sooner, as the sun rose about an hour later.

Hennessy Hammock A-sym Zip UL Backpacker.

The good news is I bought it from REI, so return will be easy. My hammock experiment was over when it started. Just not for me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hope you kept your tents then)))))
    It sometimes takes a few tries but for some folks hammocks just don't "take".
    Just keep gettin' to the woods...no matter how.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I know several people who have no problem sleeping on the ground.
    I wish I were one of those people because there are times when it just makes good sense to be in a shelter, in a tent, under a tarp.

At least you now know what doesn't work for you.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Different strokes for different folks. At least you gave it a.try and now you know.

A friend of mine hikes with a hammock but sleeps on the floor of a shelter whenever possible. I couldn't possibly do that after experiencing a hammock.

HYOH
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I'm sorry to hear about your bad night. Hammocking isn't for everyone, and I am happy you can return the hammock. As Shug said, just as long as you get out there in the piney woods, tent or hammock, doesn't matter.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thermocouple View Post
    Spent my first night in a hammock over the weekend. Been backpacking most of my life, I am very comfortable sleeping in the back country. I decided to give the hammock a shot because of the versatility and lighter weight.

Without question it was the worst night of sleep I have ever had in the back country.

I was so interested in making this concept work that I overlooked some fundamental flaws in the idea. I am an active sleeper, and primarily a side sleeper. Evidently there is a very narrow window of "sweet spot" to be comfortable in a hammock, and I cannot abide laying in the same position all night. I cannot sleep in a restrictive mummy bag for this reason either.

In the wee hours of the night, after little sleep, I finally threw in the towel, climbed out, lowered the hammock to the ground, climbed back inside and got the only real sleep I had that night. I only regret that I didnt do this sooner, as the sun rose about an hour later.

Hennessy Hammock A-sym Zip UL Backpacker.

The good news is I bought it from REI, so return will be easy. My hammock experiment was over when it started. Just not for me.

Well, you say "Nite 1" as if you may give it another try, but you're already returning you hammock so I'm guessing you're not.

Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right, and for some people it just doesn't work. Personally I can hammock or tent. If I'm tired, I'll sleep.

But it's your back and your night's sleep. Do what works for you!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Yep I kept my tents, will be going back to my MSR Hubba. I dont think giving it another try is what is called for. I really cannot lay in one position all night, I really do need to be able to move around to stay comfortable. My sleep style just doesnt seem compatible with hammock hanging. It sucks because I really wanted this to work, I was excited about it - I even made whoopie slings. But if it doesnt work it doesnt work.

I did get a ton of great info on this site though, and for that I thank you all.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I had the same problem at first. I bought a new WBBB and superfly tarp. Got really frustrated right at first and sold the kit within 48 hours. I decided to give it another shot, and still had some issues getting comfortable for a week or so.

But after I got the hang of it I was able to set it up in a few minutes in my back yard and sleep comfortably. I too roll around alot, take covers on/off, and like to sleep on my stomach and side...I don't think I EVER slept on my back my whole life (that I remember). So I was doing a 180° by getting a hammock. You may want to try another brand of hammock if you ever give it another go.

p.s. I still love my Hubba though

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I understand where you're coming from, at least you gave it a good shot.

There are many types of hammocks available. I have found that the bridge hammocks are sometimes the answer for folks who usually sleep well on the ground. It gives you a bit more room to spread out and move, and is more like sleeping on a cot than all wrapped up in a hammock.

In any case, best regards and good luck!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Hike Your Own Hike.

I had to do something similar on my last hike. Had over-worked my legs and could not get comfortable in my hammock. Finally got out of it (fortunately had a good air mattress) and lay on the wooden "tent pad" I was at in the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Slept okay the rest of the night.

It happens.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast