Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We can just make a boy scout style trench latrine and fill it over when we're done.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Seems kind of remote for a "gear expo." I suspect some will be bringing a ton of stuff, especially those of us that aren't prepared for "backpacking" even a mile with all our crap, lol. The lack of pits also concerns me, especially if my wife comes along. Far as I know, she hasn't gone in the woods since she was a kid and that last time was some traumatic experience, so I don't know if this would be the time to reintroduce her to the "wild poos," LOL.

Wish I had any alternative, though... >.<

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Here are some of the suggestions we've gotten so far in the thread, that seem fairly viable to me:

Reverend Ridge (Golden Gate Canyon State Park) - lots of facilities, showers, etc.

Kelly Dahl - this was the location for the most recent CO hang. It's definitely not bad at all.

Burning Bear - we did a Winter Hang here a few years ago. Lots of trees, kinda remote with a long drive on gravel roads, but it was easily navigable in a Nissan Sentra for the winter hang. Not so much for Jeff's Jeep.....

Kenosha East - no reservations accepted, but it's open year round and is in an area with lots of aspens. Fairly small campground so finding space could be a possible issue. Sounds beautiful though.

Barbour Fork Trail - sounds like a beautiful location that might have the aspens in season, but a potential walk and no facilities. I'm willing to try this if the consensus is that it's the way to go, but I am leaning toward more established campgrounds so some more significant others are willing to make the campout. This place sounds perfect for a smaller, less gear-focused get-together.

Please weigh in with your thoughts on these locations, or any last-minute additions, soon - I'd like to get reservations if necessary before the end of the weekend. Also, if anyone else who's better than me at planning these things (cannibal???) wants to take over and get us settled on a place, I wouldn't complain

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Kelly Dahl was a fantastic campground. lotsa trees, just the right distance apart. It has my enthusiastic support. Been lurking this site for a while, telling myself that I won't go freeze in Colorado. However, there seems to be the need for redemption, due to the embarrassing bug-out last go-round. Besides, the term "Gear expo" has a great deal of appeal. More neat stuff we just can't live without! Yeah! Kelly Dahl. Please.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't have any strong feelings about the location, but it would be nice if my Jeep got a second chance to conquer those roughly groomed roads at Kelly Dahl. Plus it has privies for the "less motivated" among us...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Tarp
    Insulation
    Lynx Winter Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Those dates work really well for me as too. About time I can be in on one of these with you guys. I do realize that we want to make it as accessible for as many people as possible, but there is no such thing as perfect in this world... well not much that is that I know of. Seems that there were some pretty nice areas mentioned already. I am not huge on camp grounds with people piled on top of each other that didn't come with me. That's why you get out of the city to start with isn't it? ;-) Maybe it would just be a lot quicker and easier if we did take a poll and majority rules Sorry I am known for being direct and to the point. Not exactly what my wife calls it though? LOL

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    This would work 4 me. I think I can get the Harley up that Peak 2 peak jeep trail.is there a date yet?

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowyet View Post
    I am not huge on camp grounds with people piled on top of each other that didn't come with me. That's why you get out of the city to start with isn't it? ;-)
    That won't be an issue at this time of year, most likely - many of the campgrounds are already starting to shut down. Even a few months ago, at Kelly Dahl, we didn't really have much of a crowd.

For me personally, I'm leaning toward Golden Gate, since I've never been there, and the campground sounds pretty nice. I also know there were a couple of votes for it earlier in the thread.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    is there a date yet?
    The weekend of Oct 5-7, aka two weekends from now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    I'll go ahead and officially ask the crowd: does anyone have anything against a couple 40 - 50 lb dogs going? They're very good dogs and have always been silent in campgrounds, though this will be a little different than they're use to. We will try to set up camp a little ways off from the rest of y'all so they don't get spooked at any noises in the night, but I'm sure they'll be quiet - like I said, they always have been. Super sweet, too! XD

If anyone is uncomfortable with it, I'll figure something out. Just want to ask first before I show up with dogs, lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast