Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tent Vs Tarp

Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH
    Tarp
    SuperFly, Hard Roc

Tent Vs Tarp

Has anyone ever used a modified tent to hang a hammock inside instead of a tarp? Is it the weight factor that has prevented anyone from trying this? With the RR, I am wanting more protection from blowing rain and ground run-off of water.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    How are you thinking of doing the tent mod? I assume you're thinking about the run-off water on the ground in regards to getting up in the morning since you won't have to worry about sleeping in it.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    There have been people that have done this, so that they could still sleep in the same tent as their family. It seems like it would be easy to do by cutting 2 holes and then sewing reinforcement around the cut areas.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Have you considered a cot? A te.t big enough to acomidate a hammock would accommodate a cot.

Images
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH
    Tarp
    SuperFly, Hard Roc

tent vs tarp

With bridge hammocks, I don't feel that I get enough coverage with existing tarps. I don't have the ability to DIY my own tarp. I then am looking for a light-weight tent that can accommodate two bridge hammocks, to give good coverage. Since I am looking to mod a tent, then why not have a bathtub floor.
    Yes, cut slots in the tent. I am looking for a setup that I can pack in.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerscout View Post
    Has anyone ever used a modified tent to hang a hammock inside instead of a tarp? Is it the weight factor that has prevented anyone from trying this? With the RR, I am wanting more protection from blowing rain and ground run-off of water.
    It's more the size. You need a big tent to replace a 10x12 tarp and it would not be as versatile. A closeable end tarp will let you block wind in 3 or 4 directions. Better yet, the tarp will let you pick up the leeward corner so you can see and ventilate. That can be quite handy when just spending time. Check out Shug and Hickrey watching the storm. ;-)

As far as ground runoff you are better off with your gear on a gear hammock above the water (and acting as a wind/rain barrier) than trusting coated nylon not to leak on the ground. Bonus is the gear hammock also makes a good seat. ;-)

You might find this interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsICg...ure=plpp_video

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I, too, had the same thoughts once upon a time. But, in looking at tents I realized something...they are not designed for hammocks. Backpacking tents tend to be low to the ground, and the tops just don't seem to hang correctly to get a tarp under it. I was also concerned at cutting slots for a hammock, as it looked like it would introduce rain into the tent because of the roof design of the tents. I even tried using a tent rainfly to cover my nephew's hammock, but just really didn't have very good luck out of it. I would recommend finding a way to make a tarp work. This is all being said by someone who loves tents and has always abhorred the idea of tarp camping...but I have come to some realizations with the use of hammocks.
    However (I always like to mention), there are SO many people on HF with much more experience and wisdom than I contain. I look forward to this discussion...it may prove to be very interesting. Please post whatever solution you come up with!

Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH
    Tarp
    SuperFly, Hard Roc

tarp vs tent

What I have found as a limit in using a tent is the weight and size of the tent to house a hammock. I have found some expensive backpacking tents that have the height but not the length or the length and not the height.
    Also using a bridge hammock adds additional problems. Then trying to put the wife and myself in two bridge hammocks, impossible.
    I have found some possibilities. I am trying to get smokehouse to make me his HS tent tarp but he is very busy right now. I am also looking at a Hifura tipi. The six man version only weighs 6lb. For those who are looking at ounces then this is unheard of. I might try it if I can get them to modify the tipi. This is all that I have found so far.
    I have seen the Shug video of tying two tarps together to ride through a storm. Possibilities. I currently have a WB superfly with BMBH and a WBRR. I haven't committed myself to a tent, just looking at possibilities.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    BrianWillan had put together a fantastic winter camping outfit that featured a canvas prospector tent within which he not only hung his hammock, but also operated a small wood stove. An absolutely awesome solution to keeping warm and snug in harsh weather. Although the weight limited it to car/pulk camping, it still was pretty amazing.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast