Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Question Weather Shield Help/Advise Needed

Howdy Hangers...
    I recently was fooling around with making a weather shield ala the JRB kind. I used breathable 1.p ripstop nylon on the bottom and waterproof silnylon on the sides like the Jacks do. Hung it on the hammock with the ends cinched and had it hanging down on the bottom more like a sock. So to say it was not tight up against the hammock/UQ bottom.
    Slept with 1/2 UQ under, 20º WM bag, smartwool bottoms, SW top, hat. Temps dipped to 41º.
    Problem ...... I woke to a ton of condensation inside the weather shield. It was actually pooling in the bottom.
    I cut up my old WS to make this one and adding the silnylon. Never had that problem with the old on make from 1.9 ripstop nylon.
    Any ideas would be mucho appreciated.
    Thankee,
    Soggy Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I didn't use it much but I had pretty good luck using Tyvek for a weather shield.

I have had better luck with the Neat Sheet material. Properties very similar to the Microporus Polypropylene that the old JRB weather shield were made from. I have heard that surgical drapes are made from MPP.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    i wouldn't think it would have done that unless the sil was touching the hammock/uq. weird. could have been high humidity perhaps. i know folks have claimed that a sock made from (breathable)dwr has problems with condensation wheras one made from non- dwr/untreated doesn't. maybe if the breathable section of your ws was more breathable, like untreated rather than dwr it would work better. is the jrb breathable section dwr or untreated ripstop?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hmmm... I use a sock made from (breatheable) DWR and have had no trouble with condensation...

I also made a sock recently from non-breatheable material (but with lots of ventilation) and had quite a bit of condensation. It was a failed experiment, but I'm learning a lot from those failures...

I also made a weather shield from non-breatheable material and got a lot of condensation recently. My next version was going to be a lot like yours, but hmmm maybe not.

Interesting problem though Shug. I would have thought yours would breathe better through the non-sil material.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    i was making a point to the difference between untreated-breathable and dwr-breathable.

if your sock was indeed dwr-breathable and had no problems, that is good news, was it vented at all? how many nights did you experience no condensation with the dwr sock?

in the thread i was referring to, i believe doctari said he had condensation with dwr, but not with an untreated sock.

i bet other things factor in too, like if you are overheated as opposed to cold, you are putting off alot more water vapor that the system must deal with, and the humidity outside effects how fast it can evaporate through.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Howdy Hangers...
    I recently was fooling around with making a weather shield ala the JRB kind. I used breathable 1.p ripstop nylon on the bottom and waterproof silnylon on the sides like the Jacks do. Hung it on the hammock with the ends cinched and had it hanging down on the bottom more like a sock. So to say it was not tight up against the hammock/UQ bottom.
    Slept with 1/2 UQ under, 20º WM bag, smartwool bottoms, SW top, hat. Temps dipped to 41º.
    Problem ...... I woke to a ton of condensation inside the weather shield. It was actually pooling in the bottom.
    I cut up my old WS to make this one and adding the silnylon. Never had that problem with the old on make from 1.9 ripstop nylon.
    Any ideas would be mucho appreciated.
    Thankee,
    Soggy Shug
    Shug,

You need to get a better understanding of vapor barriers, insensible perspiration, and sensible perspiration. I've said a few things about all that from time to time and a search for "vapor barrier" made by "Youngblood" should take you to them http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...earchid=517067 . Hopefully that will help out.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i was making a point to the difference between untreated-breathable and dwr-breathable.

if your sock was indeed dwr-breathable and had no problems, that is good news, was it vented at all? how many nights did you experience no condensation with the dwr sock?
    I've used this sock for many a cold night and some very windy ones. I've never had any noticeable condensation. Mine is made from Ed Speer's Chocolate Brown 1.9 DWR, and it's more like a pod. The ventilation comes from either end, and I also have a zipper closure down one side.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Shug,

You need to get a better understanding of vapor barriers, insensible perspiration, and sensible perspiration. I've said a few things about all that from time to time and a search for "vapor barrier" made by "Youngblood" should take you to them http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...earchid=517067 . Hopefully that will help out.
    Youngblood, I have read your posts about the insensible vs sensible perspiration and logically I understand, but still felt the need to test out your results in person. Just hard-headed I guess.

But I need to get back to Shug's weather shield here, maybe I can learn something from his misfortune....

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Youngblood, I have read your posts about the insensible vs sensible perspiration and logically I understand, but still felt the need to test out your results in person. Just hard-headed I guess.

But I need to get back to Shug's weather shield here, maybe I can learn something from his misfortune....
    Patrick,

I believe Shug's condensation issue with his weather shield is related to vapor barriers, insensible perspiration, and sensible perspiration. Since the condensation was pooled up on the inside of his weather shield, it figures the moisture came from Shug.

His weather shield is silnylon with a center strip of rip stop nylon and the sections that are silnylon are a vapor barrier. My guess is that his insensible and/or sensible perspiration (sweat) is collecting on the silnylon and running down to the center area and pooling on the rip stop nylon. When you overheat with breathable insulation, you still sweat, it tries to pass through the breathable insulation. If you have a vapor barrier on the outside of the breathable insulation it isn't so breathable anymore from a system point of view.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    i think it is interesting how it didn't evaporate out the breathable strip or out the sides
    considering it's a loose fitting weathershield rather than an enclosed sock. it likely was evaporating, but just not at a rate that could keep up with sweaty shug

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow .... Thanks for all the input!
    The VB issues make sense to me. I do sweat and sleep warm. My next step is to make one out of ripstop nylon only and try again. May put smaller silnylon panels on the sides and snug it tighter. Gotta build that one soon.
    It is a tricky business all these hammock accoutrements and such. Sure is fun though!
    Keep the ideas coming.
    Youngblood ... thanks for the "in depth" thoughts. Good stuff......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast