Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    How about 8 days in late November? This hike is 70 miles, and from the elevation profile looks fairly easy, by backpacking standards the section I day hiked this summer was super easy, but it was only 6 miles....

November is a thought, although the foliage will be close to nil... Making for a glum hike/views possibly???

Yea it doesn't appear to be a tougher hike, but I'd take flat with great views and take my merry time staring at em'...For me its more about enjoying the day(s), stopping and relaxing, taking pictures and all that stuff then pushing the miles out!

Are you coming to Mahha? If so please bring what you got and there are a group of us that were going to discuss this hike and see if any of the finer details can be worked out!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    If i come to mahha it will be for friday only. I have a wedding saturday morning on the other side of Maryland.

The only reason i suggest it now is because my schedule requests for nov 15- dec 15 are due Thursday next.

We can wait till December and have some snow hiking....
    another option is all of Dolly Sods. North and south in a week. Better views

If i come to mahha it will be for friday only. I have a wedding saturday morning on the other side of Maryland.

The only reason i suggest it now is because my schedule requests for nov 15- dec 15 are due Thursday next.

We can wait till December and have some snow hiking....
    another option is all of Dolly Sods. North and south in a week. Better views
    Shame you can't make it for the full weekend, it is a great time with great people (some of the finest I've ever met)! Have a great time at the wedding though....

I think I'm confused???????? Are you meaning this coming November (2012)?? Or November 2013?? If you are talking about this coming November there is "No" way possible I can get the time off, sad but true!

I have been to Dolly Sods and it lived up too all the hype, I would def love to hike there again!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A typo. My post was meant to read 10 to 11 miles hiking per day is just right for half hiking and half camp time.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    A typo. My post was meant to read 10 to 11 miles hiking per day is just right for half hiking and half camp time.
    Ahhhhhh now it makes sense

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    A trip in 2013! Guess we can wait to discuss trip details, then.

Looking over shelter locations, unless you want to hike 6 miles/day, the trip would call for one 10 mile day and one 13 mile day, with a few 6ers thrown in. Personally, i prefer 10-12 miles daily. I would go nuts sitting at a campsite for 18 hours a day and only hiking a few hours. The terrain isnt that challenging and one could easily manage a 2 mile per hour rate...

Of course, YMMV and everyone should HYOH :-)

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Here's a question....Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best time (month) to hike this trail?
    I think if I went again I would like to go later in the fall. The views were a little limited by the late summer foliage in early September. If I went in late October I think the views would be better as well as a lot of the trip is in the tree tunnel on top of the ridge, and I would like to have a look at whatever views are available through the trees. Another advantage to the trail is that they provide fire wood at the shelters. If you go with a longer trip (6-7 days)and shorter miles you would have plenty of time to hang out around the fire (and not run out of wood) after hiking shorter days. Just my two cents…… BTW make sure you make the trip 200 yards north on Rt30 to Walat’s Bar it was worth it for a cheese burger and onion rings as a treat.
    Peace,
    Gris aka “Jukebox”….because I have Musical Tourette’s
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59138

A trip in 2013! Guess we can wait to discuss trip details, then.

Looking over shelter locations, unless you want to hike 6 miles/day, the trip would call for one 10 mile day and one 13 mile day, with a few 6ers thrown in. Personally, i prefer 10-12 miles daily. I would go nuts sitting at a campsite for 18 hours a day and only hiking a few hours. The terrain isnt that challenging and one could easily manage a 2 mile per hour rate...

Of course, YMMV and everyone should HYOH :-)
    Originally that was the intent, a 2013 hike!

I am sorry if this didn't happen fast enough for you, but I am doing my best to work with many! And my work schedule will just not allow it at the moment!

November for me is not going to happen, should you choose to hike it, it would be greatly appreciated when you finish if you have any advise to give then I will gladly accept it!

As far as daily mileage goes I have not made my decision as too what the plan will be, but, I will say that if we don't do what you want then you are more than welcome to go ahead of us and HYOH!

I am not planning a trip around a death march, and want to make enjoyable to all that attend! With that said I am leaning towards a 6/7 day trip! Now how many miles per day that equals is not of great concern for me, may be for others as there may be some short days and some longer days but this will all be factored in as the plan comes together! Also I plan to make this trip an enjoyable one, resting frequently, taking my time in the mornings and if a side trip (to a bar, restaurant, or whatever) should take place then so be it!

I understand that this may not fit into everyone's likings, and for that I am sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    I think if I went again I would like to go later in the fall. The views were a little limited by the late summer foliage in early September. If I went in late October I think the views would be better as well as a lot of the trip is in the tree tunnel on top of the ridge, and I would like to have a look at whatever views are available through the trees. Another advantage to the trail is that they provide fire wood at the shelters. If you go with a longer trip (6-7 days)and shorter miles you would have plenty of time to hang out around the fire (and not run out of wood) after hiking shorter days. Just my two cents…… BTW make sure you make the trip 200 yards north on Rt30 to Walat’s Bar it was worth it for a cheese burger and onion rings as a treat.
    Peace,
    Gris aka “Jukebox”….because I have Musical Tourette’s
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59138

Thanks for the advise, what type of weather did you experience when you went?

Were there a lot of views that you weren't able to see?

It was a strange summer/fall so I wonder if that had a thing to do with the foliage?

Yes I was planning on stopping there, you are not the only one who has made this suggestion, so I think this will be written in as a must!

Hammock
    Dutchware / Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Webbing
    +1 for interested... ill be keeping an eye on this thread for further details.

Ok I have gotten teh dates for this trip, they are Aug 4th - 10th

They can be altered a day before and a day after if need be, but this gives a 7 day outing for it which averages out to 10 miles a day (give or take a mile or two). But as I said it can be lengthened a day or two if others that are attending feel the need, I am not in a rush for this trip, so taking my time (or yours) is not a problem.

A big thanks to all whom helped me gather information, more is need of course and will welcome any advise anyone has to offer on the LHHT.

I am trying to work out the details of a food drop so you only have to carry half the trips food (or close too it) then get your mail drop for the next few days food. Another HF member has expressed that they know of a easy way that this can be done, I will help arrange and finalize details for this as it gets closer to the trip dates.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast