Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    I was waiting till July to register anyways as I believe they will only take reservations no more than 30 days in advance anyways. Am I correct?
    But anyways:
    I hike in hot weather all the time. Just a bit slower at a more relaxed pace in my hiking Kilt ( in true Scottish style).
    I Just camel up with more water than usual. Warmer weather and higher humidity just means to pace your hike. It also means less weight as I dont pack an UQ and I carry a lighter TQ as well. So at least thats the good side of summer conditions!!
    So I will keep my eyes posted on this thread.
    From what I have read on the Pa DCNR site one could register up too 11 months in advance, although some of the finer details are a little hard to decipher.

I too hike in hotter weather, and agree with you that one should change the manner in which they do things in higher temps but I felt that a health and safety disclaimer should be posted for extremely high temps and humidity, which can lead too a deathly combination if not taken seriously.

I carry a custom summer set from HG, now whether I use either or both is determined on the current conditions, but I still carry them. I have been thinking on making a "super summer set" if you will.....one that would work during those very hot and humid nights to utilize evaporative cooling, which a hammock already does to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    This is how I look at summer conditions as well. Pack light and slower hiking. And to get up early to hike when it's cooler. Take a longer lunch and nap in the heat of afternoon and hike later in afternoon and into evening when it's cooler and stays lighter longer. But August can be brutal so I can understand the change in dates.
    Very good tip HC, get up early and hike during the cooler hours, and take a break when the sun is at it's peak.

Funny thing is the next day after I posted that the temps dropped as we got a few good thunderstorms that rolled in cooling everything down ....mother nature huh
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Any updates ?
    As I am ready to reserve my nights if this is gonna happen.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Any updates ?
    As I am ready to reserve my nights if this is gonna happen.
    I am still planning on doing this trip. Now with that said I have not reserved my spots yet, cannot do that till approx the 17th of July (that is my pay day that I will have the extra cash for this).

Again I also still have reservations about the heat issue, hiking in 105* + heat with a added humidity index is dangerous, and could prove deadly. So there may be a possibility that my trip ends up being canceled, health and safety are primary to anything.

Also PM sent!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I will watch this thread

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Yoda (or the Hiker formerly know as Cranky Bear)

I've been following this thread. I'm interested in this hike and I've got it on my radar.
    I've got some traveling I have to do for work in Aug. (work keeps getting in the way) but I think the 4th - 10th might work. Sounds like to right pace and distance for me, I really hope it works out for me to go. As long as I have enough water hiking in hot weather is doable for me although I sweat so much you don't want to be downwind.

WVwanderer

Quote Originally Posted by WVwanderer View Post
    Yoda (or the Hiker formerly know as Cranky Bear)

I've been following this thread. I'm interested in this hike and I've got it on my radar.
    I've got some traveling I have to do for work in Aug. (work keeps getting in the way) but I think the 4th - 10th might work. Sounds like to right pace and distance for me, I really hope it works out for me to go. As long as I have enough water hiking in hot weather is doable for me although I sweat so much you don't want to be downwind.

WVwanderer
    It would be a pleasure to have you along. Water is also a concern for me as well, I hope that I am able to find enough info and have my emails responded too in time with regard to water sources and their availability. That is one pet-peeve of mine, know where the water sources are, especially in summer!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    From what i understand most shelter areas have a well and there are several creeks along the way. I have filtered from the creeks and wells with no issues. Also if you do a search on the trail it lists water sources.

Quote Originally Posted by tdomer View Post
    From what i understand most shelter areas have a well and there are several creeks along the way. I have filtered from the creeks and wells with no issues. Also if you do a search on the trail it lists water sources.

Yes you are correct, but my concern comes from years of seeing water sources dry up and not be listed, or streams/creeks listed and printed on maps and not being there.

This was just something that I posted in hopes that there was someone out there that has been there recently that could give me a little info.

Itinerary has been decided----

8/4- Start at PA 56 trailhead hike 5.1 miles to Rt 56 tent site

8/5- Rt56 tent site hike 8 miles to 271 tent site

8/6- Rt271 tent site hike 10.4 miles to Rt30 tent site

8/7- Rt30 tent site hike 14 miles to Rt31 tent site (this would also be the day that I have arranged with another member to do a food box drop, at mile marker 39, which is half way between the tent sites, so 7 miles which I estimate to be there around noon or so, the meet up spot is at Laurel Summit StPk)

8/8- Rt31 tent site hike 14 miles to 653 tent site

8/9- Rt653 tent site hike 12.2 miles to Ohio tent site

8/10- Ohio tent site hike 6.3 miles into OhioPyle St.Pk. and end the hike

NOTE: As a reminder to all I have not booked my sites yet, cannot do so until the 18th or 19th of this month, if things change with my itinerary based on available sites I will post them here. Either way I will post on here when I make my reservations as well as what sites they were for.

At the current time I have arranged for my transportation from OhioPyle to the PA56 trailhead on the 4th. But if there is anyone in the area whom would be willing to shuttle anyone else (or me if something happens to my ride) that would be greatly appreciated. With reguard to the food drop, if you choose to do this you will need to contact the driver (HappyCamper) and send her your food box. Just make sure you give your self enough time to get replacements if your box gets lost in limbo... Also understand that there will only be "ONE" drop spot (mile marker 39), so if you feel that you cannot make it there in time or think something else may hinder your making the drop spot in time then I would suggest either making other arrangements with another drop person or carry all of your food. She is willing to wait a little while, but it is not going to be an all day wait.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will be able to hike Southbound with ya up to the route 31 crossing of the LHT. I have a family commitment, so that is where I will need to say farewell. I will have no need for a food drop.
    I can park my vehicle at the route 31 parking area early morning of august 4th.
    I only need to figure out how to get a ride NOBO to start the hike at the route 56 trailhead from the route 31 crossing.
    I may be able to talk my son into following me from Osceola Mills to give me a lift, or I have a friend in the Altoona are that may be able to do it.
    Yoda:
    Will you and your ride happen to be passing by route 31 by chance that morning of the 4th? ( willing to fork over some cash to your driver for the lift)
    Any idea Yoda as to what time we will start the hike on August 4th at the route 56 trail head?
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast