WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Since the mileage looks like what I can do, I'm hoping to join in!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I am definitely interested in this trip to and have penciled in the dates on my calendar and have it on my long range radar. Like many I too have a hectic work schedule. It is way to far in the future for me make any kind of plans or commitment. This is a trail that I have been wanting to do for a long time. I will be watching this thread with great interest.
    Terry

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    No fan of August weather, but I've been looking to hike this trail and will keep it on my radar.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Definitely interested in doing this hike. I have to pick my vacation soon. So I will take this week, and I hope I can make it.
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Since the mileage looks like what I can do, I'm hoping to join in!
    It would be spectacular to have you along.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    I am definitely interested in this trip to and have penciled in the dates on my calendar and have it on my long range radar. Like many I too have a hectic work schedule. It is way to far in the future for me make any kind of plans or commitment. This is a trail that I have been wanting to do for a long time. I will be watching this thread with great interest.
    Wonderful, I know it's a far out trip, but, for me this is the only way as the vacation book at my job just started to make it's rounds and if I want to schedule to take a week off to go hiking and be assured I get that time frame this is the only way. I hope you can make it....

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    No fan of August weather, but I've been looking to hike this trail and will keep it on my radar.
    I used to feel the same way, but over time and learning how to manage myself in warmer weather (proper hydration and body conditioning) I found that it's not as bad as I thought. Now when the temps get into triple digits I will say that it can get pretty miserable pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bundy71 View Post
    Definitely interested in doing this hike. I have to pick my vacation soon. So I will take this week, and I hope I can make it.
    It would be great to have you along.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Best Times To Hike

I live 30 mins from the Seven Springs area and have hiked portions of this trail starting at the southern trail head. Best time would be your late October or early spring. Coming from Johnstown and ending in Ohiopyle is a much easier route. The ascent out of Ohiopyle is a bit steep. Don't forget that you can hike off the trail into 7springs for food and "beer" plus there are some activities to do if you wish to burn a day there.

The shelters are nice but they will be full during the fall months. You can check Laurel Highlands Trail on facebook. They'll let you know about availability. Here are some pics I took of my 18 mile day hike last year.

Coming out of Ohiopyle there are some nice vistas
    ]

Plenty of Water

Alot of Rocks

Dantolz thank you for your advise (and pic's, they are beautiful), I realize that the time frame that I am looking at isn't the so called "best" time, but it's the only time for me.

Thank you for the reminder of the availability (booking camp site's) as the time gets closer I will send out a email to them for information and availability.

Which is something to consider for others, you will need to make your reservations for our intended camp sites on the hike, unless I am able to do it for the group.

Which brings up the next "unsure" thing is group size, I do not at the moment know if there is a group size limit (10 or less per group). Once this info is found out I will post up everything and make a sign-up sheet (per-say) on this thread and we will go from there.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I think everyone should make their own reservations. As someone who has put together group hikes, it's like herding cats. And when you make reservations online, you have to pay at that time, so that shouldn't be on you Cranky Bear.

Since we are hanging and most won't be using the shelters, I'm wondering if there are pay boxes at the sites and we can just pay in cash when we get there? Something else to investigate.

I've stayed at the shelter area closest to Ohiopyle. Having firewood there was great! I also lost my big toe nail on that part of the trail. Some steep ups and downs and my trail shoes were more like tennis shoes with lots of stretch and my toe kept hitting the front of my shoe on the steep downs. That was the last hike for those shoes!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Picked my vacations today, all set for this hike.
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am really interested in this hike so there is a good chance I will be joining in.
    MML
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast