Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail 2013 Trip

OK, as the title says this thread is a planning thread for a Thru hike of the LHHT in 2013......

This is open to all whom would like to join, and I welcome all.......

With that said there are a few hick-ups, in order for me to get the time off for almost anything out side of two days I must plan accordingly, with that said every year at my job around November our leave book cycles through each shift member and we get to choose our vacation days for the following year (a couple days each round the book goes, which is usually 4) the book usually cycles until January (so only a couple months). But in order for me to get the days off needed/wanted I need to know what days I want when the book makes its first stop with me.

So with that said here is my initial thoughts------

I was thinking of a Southbound Thru, ending the hike in Ohiopyle (sp???) so that we may have a decent celebratory meal.

I am open to the amount of days to do this in, 5/7/9/?

Also the dates, it was mentioned that sometime in Aug/Sept might be a better time frame due too weather???? I am completely open and willing to discuss dates, and welcome any input from those whom have either thru'd this trail, hiked part of it, live near it, or have a better sense of the weather than I do (which is practically nothing )...

Also I have found some info on the trail itself, as minor as it may be I hope that any/all will help contribute any information you may have!

Here is a link to a site I found that has the elevation profile maps as well as trail maps, but I have "No" idea if they are still accurate or not, so if someone whom has a recent set of maps could look these over and confirm whether they are right or wrong it would be greatly appreciated---- http://trails.franusich.com/lhht/

I also looked over a couple of the other web sites like-
    http://backpack.phanfare.com/2006
    http://www.shol.com/featheredprop/lhht_info.htm
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/lhht/index.htm
    https://www.facebook.com/laurelhighlandshikingtrail
    http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?op...=138&Itemid=65
    http://www.pahikes.com/trails/laurel-highlands-trail

As well as many others, but, if you have a link to a site that has worthy information please post it.

You may post here or PM me for info/talk about this/or whatever, but I would rather you post here so others can learn and plan for this Adventure.

I have been talking with another HF member and they talked about doing a re-supply, and I am liking this idea very much as it would lessen the load needing to be carried.

I will continue to update this thread with any/all info I gather!

I am going to bring any info I gather to Mahha, and would greatly appreciate it immensely if you would do the same (or make copies for me???) so that any whom have an interest in this hike may see what we have, and or wanting to contribute to the conversation.

As I said "ALL/ANY" are welcome to join in on this hopefully wonderful hiking experience......

Thanks,

CB
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Awesome! Count me in on the planning.

I've been wanting to do this hike for a few years. I have the trail guide and will bring it to the Fall MAHHA for anyone who wants to take a gander. I'm pretty flexible on when I can hike and if I have this much advance notice, all the better.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Awesome! Count me in on the planning.

I've been wanting to do this hike for a few years. I have the trail guide and will bring it to the Fall MAHHA for anyone who wants to take a gander. I'm pretty flexible on when I can hike and if I have this much advance notice, all the better.

Sounds wonderful, thank you very much.....
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Oops, I don't have a trail guide. I had Dane's book but lent it out and lost track of it. But I have some maps. Will bring those to MAHHA. Can also be ordered here.

A color trail brochure, with descriptions of trailhead parking areas, an elevation chart, and a trail map in a durable paper folder, is available from the state park. For more information, contact:

Laurel Ridge State Park
    1454 Laurel Hill Park Road
    Somerset, PA 15501
    (814) 445-7725
    [email protected]
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Just a friendly bump...

Here's a question....Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best time (month) to hike this trail?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Just a caution... I assume you are aware of the regulations and reservation requirements for this trail. This is a DCNR trail and as such is subject to different regulations than either state forests or state parks.

Just in case.. find the regulations here

I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    I've run a 50K on this trail in 2009 and have long desired to go back and hike it.

I'm betting any time during the Spring/Summer/Fall would be great.

Put me down as tentative, with a strong leaning towards for sure for this hike!

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    This looks interesting. We'll have to talk more at MAHHA.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Just a caution... I assume you are aware of the regulations and reservation requirements for this trail. This is a DCNR trail and as such is subject to different regulations than either state forests or state parks.

Just in case.. find the regulations here

Ramblinrev,

Yes I have looked over that info well before posting! I had a conversation with another HF member about this very subject, and from the looks of the trail, the maintenance of the shelters/trail and the effort put forth by the rangers of this area I would be more than willing to pay to stay (so-to-speak) as it appears that the money is going to where it should! Remember I said "Appears"..... and this is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I've run a 50K on this trail in 2009 and have long desired to go back and hike it.

I'm betting any time during the Spring/Summer/Fall would be great.

Put me down as tentative, with a strong leaning towards for sure for this hike!
    Would be great to have you along! There was some talk as to Aug/Sept might be the better time frame as the weather should be milder during this time????? thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    This looks interesting. We'll have to talk more at MAHHA.
    Absolutely.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast