Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    Thanks, BajaHanger. I'm trolling Craigslist and The Carolina Trader as we speak for a good deal on a "thread injector" (still feel like an idiot for not figuring that one out on my own) and I'll be absolutely going the tablecloth route.

PM Sent

Before you go crazy buying a sewing machine, keep in mind that if you got the tablecloth blanks you could take it to a local tailor and have them sew the end channels in and/or sew the two sheets together if making a double layer. My local tailor has helped me out with fixing packs and some other heavy duty sewing and it was all under $10.

If you are going to be building/modding other gear then get a sewing machine.

bg

Hammock
    Skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Gortex bivie cover
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Go to DIY gear supply and get a taffeta per made blank $23.00 each. They per hemmed.then find a seamstress to so them together.shouldnt be that much

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I don't want to have to rely on somebody else to do any modifications or anything like that, so a sewing machine will be in my future.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Keep working and one day you'll reach Svelte level: GRESH.

In the meantime, what are you doing as far as DIY patterns? I'm curious.

I ordered the 60" x 126" tablecloth and 8 yards of ripstop nylon. My inner layer will be the tablecloth with the outlayer being the ripstop nylon. I plan on joining the two layers with a single stich, leaving an opening on each side, probably 28 inches like suggested above.

Then I will make a 2inch (triple stiched) sewn channel on each end and tie it up. I'm ordering the DUTCH whoopie hooks and suspension to use with it.

The single layer will also have a sewn channel on each end. Figure i will start with the kids in the single layer ripstop nylon and keep adding them till it fails. Thier young, they still bounce when they fall down.

But also figure the wife will be able to use the single layer hammock as well to try to nap in, again adding a kid beside to see if it holds. Hey she is younger then me!!! And if no failures, then I will attempt to lay down in it and see if it holds.

I like having choices and bound and determined to sleep in a hammock. And if i end up with extra's the kids beds may be dismantled for my new obsession (still blaming Shug's excellent videos).

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Here's a thing. Going out back, I set up this WBBB (borrowed) at about eye height (bearing in mind I'm 6'4"). I get in it, and my bum's on the ground. Anybody know anything (other than "don't be a fattie") to alleviate this?

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Here's a thing. Going out back, I set up this WBBB (borrowed) at about eye height (bearing in mind I'm 6'4"). I get in it, and my bum's on the ground. Anybody know anything (other than "don't be a fattie") to alleviate this?
    While it was at eye level, how tight did you have the suspension?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NarlocB View Post
    While it was at eye level, how tight did you have the suspension?
    Maybe not tight enough. When I cinch down on the webbing, should I really put some UMPH into it? I understand you're supposed to be looking at about a 30* angle on your hang...but in my case, that may not be optimum. Thoughts?

what are you using for your suspension straps?
    if they're nylon, that's your problem -- nylon will stretch up to 40% of it's length.
    polyester webbing, polypropylene rope, or dyneema (amsteel blue, spectra, etc...) line are what you want to hang from. (seat belt webbing or polyester cinch straps are good, paracord not so much)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    What kind of suspension is it? It sounds like straps and buckles and you don't have them right.

Also, you only want to hang the hammock as high as you're willing to fall. Eye level for a 6'4" guy sounds like a pretty far fall. I always set my hammock up using my butt as a measuring guide. To account for stretch and settling, I usually set the hammock up halfway up my butt cheeks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    What kind of suspension is it? It sounds like straps and buckles and you don't have them right.

Also, you only want to hang the hammock as high as you're willing to fall. Eye level for a 6'4" guy sounds like a pretty far fall. I always set my hammock up using my butt as a measuring guide. To account for stretch and settling, I usually set the hammock up halfway up my butt cheeks.
    It's straps and buckles.

And if I'm hanging the hammock at eye level and I'm bottoming out, I don't have a very long way to go when I fall! I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong. Hopefully when I go to the hang early next month, there'll be somebody there willing to coach the ignorant.

On the subject of suspensions, I'm about to pull the trigger on a DoubleNest. It doesn't come with a suspension...any thoughts on what I should get (bearing in mind that I'm on a tight budget)?

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast